Need oil recommendation for high rpm Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1, 0-40 is an excellent choice for cold weather operations. It's pour point is -40 degrees F. As a prior Connecticut resident, I'd say that's sufficient for any North East operations, including into Canada.

And with an HTHS (HTHS is Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC or 302 deg F) of 3.6, the M1, 0W-40 retains excellent viscosity at extremely high temperatures. For comparison, 10W-30 has an HTHS of 3.0.

And more importantly, M1 0W-40 has a Viscosity, cSt @ 100ºC of 12.9. Meaning at the temperature water boils, 212 deg F, this oil retains excellent viscosity, and therefore excellent protection. (10W-30 is only cSt @ 100ºC of 10.1)

Since the $30 Blackstone UOA has shown to be incapable of distinguishing between fuel dilution and actual shear in the oil, I don't think you can determine what a viscosity decrease is caused by unless a more thorough UOA is performed.

I ran M1 0w40 in my RSX Type S that was Hondata K-Pro tuned. Same 8600 fuel cut. Granted I still ran OEM cams and valvesprings, but it did great. Sold to a friend who is still driving to this day (about 150k current miles iirc)with very little consumption. Prior to that I ran M1 5w-30 and it drank that like water.

Finally changing the oil this afternoon with a 5qt jug of M1 0W40. Had a bit of a scare after a longer road trip, consumed roughly another 1/3rd quart in 800 miles. This is super unusual for this car, so I'm hoping that the current fill is the issue...

OP here with an update:

Drove the car hard all summer, including track time, on M1 0W40 for about 4K miles. Didn't burn a drop the first 3K miles, starting to burn a little bit now. Most likely will swap out for another fill of 0W40 soon.

Sweet ride. I used to have a 07 Si sedan with a Hondata reflash. Wasn't picky with oil. It ran pretty smooth on Kendall 5W30 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: sds
OP here with an update:

Drove the car hard all summer, including track time, on M1 0W40 for about 4K miles. Didn't burn a drop the first 3K miles, starting to burn a little bit now. Most likely will swap out for another fill of 0W40 soon.

Could be starting to trash the oil a little with high rpm and track time. Try 0W40 castrol as many here are saying good things about it and it's also cheap in USA. $25-30 for 5L/qt is great for Edge 0W40! Be interesting to see if other 0W40 oils use show less or more consumption.

Last edited:
I like to see what Honda has to say about the marine versions of their engine...high load/high revs when considering what I'd run.

https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZX16220.pdf

Page 74 or 76 whether it's the PDF viewer or Honda's page.

10W30 from around 8F and up...

FC-W, which has minimum requirement is an HTHS of 3.3 after the shear test.

It's got me shagged why Honda are so keen on one grade fits all for the street, and it's 20s (well it doesn't), when for their high duty cycle customers they pick an oil that most on here declare obsolete...

The 0W40 recommendations would be fine (5W40 probably would be too)...If you had Edge 5W30 A3/B4 available, I'd use that.

My 2010 Si that is my winter car and summer track car gets Castol 0W40 year round. Changed every 5k km.

And these engines always use some oil. Just keep it topped up to the full mark. Letting the oil level get low will wear out the timing chain, which is $$$$$$$++ to replace.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I like to see what Honda has to say about the marine versions of their engine...high load/high revs when considering what I'd run.

https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZX16220.pdf

Page 74 or 76 whether it's the PDF viewer or Honda's page.

10W30 from around 8F and up...

FC-W, which has minimum requirement is an HTHS of 3.3 after the shear test.

It's got me shagged why Honda are so keen on one grade fits all for the street, and it's 20s (well it doesn't), when for their high duty cycle customers they pick an oil that most on here declare obsolete...

The 0W40 recommendations would be fine (5W40 probably would be too)...If you had Edge 5W30 A3/B4 available, I'd use that.

All years of the S2000 also take 10/30 or 5/40 if it gets cold. I run one grade up from 10/30 in my S all year.

ROD

Nobody has said it yet, huh. Redline 5w30, will flow good for ya even when cold, simply wont shear down close to other oils, wrap that metal with an additive package and base oil second to none. Overkill for most applications, but for you no brainer.

Originally Posted By: burla
Nobody has said it yet, huh. Redline 5w30, will flow good for ya even when cold, simply wont shear down close to other oils, wrap that metal with an additive package and base oil second to none. Overkill for most applications, but for you no brainer.

+1

I was curious and looked up the specs. Yours specs 5W30-10W30,but the 2012+ specs 0W20 only. What the change I wonder? I've been Googling various Honda uoa's and the 20wt ones blow away the 30wt ones wear metal wise. Why is that?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was curious and looked up the specs. Yours specs 5W30-10W30,but the 2012+ specs 0W20 only. What the change I wonder? I've been Googling various Honda uoa's and the 20wt ones blow away the 30wt ones wear metal wise. Why is that?

*Why* the change I wonder?......this is what I meant to type.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

The 2012 redlines at 7000--the older 8000+ Honda motors would destroy a 20wt (or the other way around...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back