Natural Oil is just as good as Synthetic Oil (comments please).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of a few reasons for synthetics but howza 'bout this one.

Synthetics don't come from the middle east where our good friends live. (You know, the wack jobs who want to kill us infidels)

bowdown.gif
pray to this Habeeb
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
I can think of a few reasons for synthetics but howza 'bout this one.

Synthetics don't come from the middle east where our good friends live. (You know, the wack jobs who want to kill us infidels)

Really? And what oil wells do you think the crude comes from that serves as the feedstock for the ethylene gas used to make PAO?

Bottom line is we all have the choice to make. You either go with synthetic or dino oil. I will only use synthetics now that I know and I have experienced the past 20 years with dino. Why? I fried out my very valuable, rare, 1985 Toyota Turbo Diesel 4x4 2lt running dino with only 140000 miles! I used Castrol GTX 20-50 and changed oil every 3000-4000 miles or every 3 months regardless of miles. The vehicle saw severe service for 100000 miles, ie, stop and go driving, short driving intervals, hauling heavy loads, and more. I fault myself for being ignorant about oil. I only wanted to use what was on sale and if it was close to a buck I was happy. I figured as long as I change my oil at 3000 what the heck!
crushedcar.gif

You see where that got me! I loved that truck! That truck was promised to my daughter in 10 years!
mad.gif
I screwed up!
mad.gif
mad.gif
I should have run the synthetics for maximum protection.
nono.gif

So yes you have a choice and most people choose the easiest and least costly route, but ask yourself, with the costs of these vehicles today doesn't it make sense to spend a little more on oil?
wink.gif

Really? And what oil wells do you think the crude comes from that serves as the feedstock for the ethylene gas used to make PAO?

Ya mean it ain't from TEXAS ? Son of @ %+#~!!!
grin.gif

I thought I read on the board that the syns also do better in the HTHS( High Temperature High Shear, Thermal Stability) area? I use syns because they'll take both the extremes when it comes to temperature.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ June 03, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Scotto ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scotto:
I thought I read on the board that the syns also do better in the HTHS( High Temperature High Shear, Thermal Stability) area? I use syns because they'll take both the extremes when it comes to temperature.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you are correct sir. Also synthetics work much better in turbo applications and in my case, a high hp, high revving 4 cylinder engine.

Amkeer, That's why I just took the plunge with Auto-RX about 182,000 miles late. So far it has made a big improvement in my engines performance. Since she only has 282,000 miles on the clock, hopefully 400,000 will not be as hard to get to as it would have been before the Auto-RX.

ALS,the motor in that truck was clean!
frown.gif
Of course you had the normal Diesel soot in the oil as soon as you poured the oil in the engine. It lost compression in cylinder 3 at warm start-up. Most likely a ring issue.

The truck was sold to a gentleman in Louisiana who will overhaul it and he will be taking digital pictures of the internals.

Maybe the 20W-50 was a little too thick or something else along those lines. I can't believe the engine failed because of the oil, especially Castrol.

Just for discussion.

Good Synthetic has some advantages:
1) It is easier seals
2) cold flow/pumpability
3) don't have to time your oil changes so perfectly - and don't have to change oil in -20°F weather, just 'cause you are at 3000 miles
4) Even though rust was mentioned - I think certain synthetic hydrocarbons cling to metal surfaces better and I have seen less rust - the whole Auto-Rx works better in dino because topic...

RCmodeler
I think "Natural Oil" is as good as Synthetic Oil.I have never seen any benefit to synthetic as long as your engine is clean. I use Auto-Rx to clean my engines.Auto-Rx works wonders.

I like to make the Synthetic VS. Conventional oil anecdotal to using cheaper gas vs. premium.

Yes, both will work. Synthetic oils run cooler, cleaner, longer. The have better lubricating properties during all times, especially in hot and cold. This translates into longer lasting and cleaner running engines...translating into better fuel economy.

That said, it's all a matter of personal choice...cost and car quality. If you have an old beater or abused car that just "needs to run", probably conventional oil would be indicated. However, if you wish to keep a car newer longer...synthetics are superior in accomplishing this.

Aw common' Dr. T. There are thousands of us that have used nothing but dino and have gotten over 200K miles on their cars or more. I would think that all the manufacturers would then be specifically telling you to put synthetics in the engine because of what you said. If it were all 100% true, then all the manufacturers could brag about how good their engines are and dino would be extinct.
Also, premium gas doesn't always been better fuel.
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ June 04, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Aw common' Dr. T. There are thousands of us that have used nothing but dino and have gotten over 200K miles on their cars or more.

Yes but in most cases those cars were gently driven, or at least they were older style V8 engines which were more durable. It is my belief that if you run a turbocharged or supercharged engine, or if you drive very hard all the time, then you will not get long engine life out of using a $1 off the shelf dino oil, no matter how often you change it.

Send them to school and look what they didn't learn
dunno.gif

Dr.T,

I'd like to see some of the info you're reading that shows synth oil doing all those things over mineral/natural oil.( BTW, not sales pages, technical info please). Can you explain how it does? Oh, I agree with schmoe on the gas thing as well.

Mobil also makes conventional oil as well..so it's not as if they are just pushing syn's.
grin.gif

[ June 04, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

I won't get into the dino vs syn debate, just share my personal results. I have a 94 Ford Ranger w/ 2.3l eng. purchased new, ran 5000 mi changes w/ Pennzoil 5w30 or 10w30 and Purolater filters, 95% highway miles, I gave the truck to my youngest son at 285000 miles. Since he only uses it around town he does 3000 mile changes. The truck currently has 295000 miles and the only mechanical breakdown on the engine has been the starter and water pump, which neither are lube related. Also have a 92 Civic purchased new and it currently has 320000 miles and no mechanical breakdowns except for a air conditioner compressor. Sadly I must admit I was less dilegent with its oil changes and some went >7000 miles. I drive a 2000 F150 w/5.4 eng., I purchased this truck used w/112000 mi. as I knew the owner and it was well taken care of. Currently has 155000 miles and has never been to the shop either. I will be monitering my change intervals on this truck as indicated by analysis, call me crazy but I think I can do a filter drop at 5000mi +1.5qt top off and a full change at 10000mi.. My last analysis is listed in the UOA section under Pennzoil 10w30 results. I thought the results looked pretty good although the lab had ran out of the TBN testing materials. I am sending my last change sample in today, I will post the results when they come in. BTW, really enjoy reading all subjects and resulting messages, a lot of good info. here. Anyway comments and suggestion on my plan welcome.

Bruce

I've been using synthetics for about 15 years. Mainly Mobil 1, more recently Amsoil. I tend to do changes at the "normal service" interval, which can be as high as 7.5K (on my Avalon).

I always felt synthetics bought me a little safety margin if my car ever overheated from something like a ruptured hose . Maybe the engine wouldn't seize up as fast.

Last year I discovered my 99 Avalon has a sludging problem/tendency. It appears to be fine and very clean. I feel had I changed dino at the recommended 7.5k or even severe service 5k, my engine would have sludge right now. In short it gives me piece of mind if something goes wrong in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back