Nano Pro MT Oil Stabilzer

Nitro1320: Glad you are here to learn with an open mind.

Let's examine the Nano Pro claims from a technical viewpoint:
  • Improves thermal efficiency of oil, up to 60% faster in reducing oil temperatures.
How would it do that if it thickens the oil? This is counterintuitive to the current theories of thermal energy transfer in lubricants.
  • Protects against friction and engine wear.
How so? What Anti-wear additives are included since we have no Oil Properties listed? What ASTM tests have they conducted to show this to be true?
  • Protects against viscosity breakdown.
What was the baseline and what chemical component in Nano doe this? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?
  • Up to 40% reduction in scarring in the 4-ball wear test.
What was the baseline? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?
  • Up to 68% reduction in wear metals.
Doubtful and what was the baseline? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?

I hope you can see that the claims do not match up with the long-standing theories of lubrication.

From the Article: Poor oil change maintenance may allow metal particles and oil sludge to accumulate at the actuator solenoid, clogging its passages and causing the solenoid to stick. You can visually confirm this by first removing the power steering pump, then the actuator solenoid. A clogged actuator solenoid must be replaced. Bingo!

Oil and filter changes with a modern 10W30 on a Severe Service Schedule will keep the VVT system clean.

VVT valves will malfunction when small particles of carbon get caught in their small orifices. I know, I have had two vehicles, a 2008 Trailblazer and a 2003 Pathfinder with VVT valve problems.

Last edited:
So, if the previous owner didn’t use this miracle in a can, then they must have had “cold start issues tearing up” the engine, right?

How did the engine make it to 150,000 miles?

Particularly since it’s “sensitive”?

A sensitive engine should be torn up by now, shouldn’t it?
H
Nitro1320: Glad you are here to learn with an open mind.

Let's examine the Nano Pro claims from a technical viewpoint:
  • Improves thermal efficiency of oil, up to 60% faster in reducing oil temperatures.
How would it do that if it thickens the oil? This is counterintuitive to the current theories of thermal energy transfer in lubricants.
  • Protects against friction and engine wear.
How so? What Anti-wear additives are included since we have no Oil Properties listed? What ASTM tests have they conducted to show this to be true?
  • Protects against viscosity breakdown.
What was the baseline and what chemical component in Nano doe this? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?
What was the baseline? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?
Doubtful and what was the baseline? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?

I hope you can see that the claims do not match up with the long-standing theories of lubrication.

From the Article: Poor oil change maintenance may allow metal particles and oil sludge to accumulate at the actuator solenoid, clogging its passages and causing the solenoid to stick. You can visually confirm this by first removing the power steering pump, then the actuator solenoid. A clogged actuator solenoid must be replaced. Bingo!

Oil and filter changes with a modern 10W30 on a Severe Service Schedule will keep the VVT system clean.

VVT valves will malfunction when small particles of carbon get caught in their small orifices. I know, I have had two vehicles, a 2008 Trailblazer and a 2003 Pathfinder with VVT valve problems.
How would a Severe Service Schedule Work?

Sorry it has all the verbiage of another snake oil product.

A suspicious few eye catchers:

Extends oil life by 100%? I doubt it.

Improves HP? Maybe.

Improves thermal efficiency of oil, up to 60% faster in reducing oil temperatures. How?

Several other "snake oil" products make similar claims. I'd pass and stick to a good synthetic oil. JMO
Yeah but it’s “nano” who could ask for more?

I read numerous articles on many vehicles with VVT engines that had issues. A week after I bought this vehicle from a Car dealership I had to have the VVT sensor replaced so I just did some digging and sure enough the Vortec 4200 has VVT issues do to oil.
Ok. Your VVT sensor broke but how did you conclude it was oil related vs a design issue? My PSD has 4 EGT sensors in the exhaust system. One of the four failed and got replaced. They are on the 3rd revision of the sensor due to issues in the design or manufacture.

If you are using an oil spec'ed for your engine and the VVT fails due to an oil problem it's actually a sensor problem that needs to be addressed. Any TSB in this area?

How would a Severe Service Schedule Work?
A Severe Service Schedule should be defined in the Operators Manual (OM).

Generally speaking the Severe Service Schedule defines Oil and Filter changes as being 1/3 to 1/2 the normal interval.

For example, if the normal service interval is 7,500 miles, then the Severe Service Schedule would be 3,500 miles or less until the crud is removed.

It might be a good idea to remove the valve covers and or the sump pan and see what kind of crud is in both. Besides, the valve cover gaskets may be leaking by now.

T
Ok. Your VVT sensor broke but how did you conclude it was oil related vs a design issue? My PSD has 4 EGT sensors in the exhaust system. One of the four failed and got replaced. They are on the 3rd revision of the sensor due to issues in the design or manufacture.

If you are using an oil spec'ed for your engine and the VVT fails due to an oil problem it's actually a sensor problem that needs to be addressed. Any TSB in this area?

I don't know if there are any Service Bulletins in this Area. I guess I should check....Thanks.

I actually recall lab testing that one years ago when we were putting a handful of additives through a wear and EP protection gauntlet. I wouldn't call it snake oil, because snake oil generally does nothing.

Let's just say, it didn't improve performance and it didn't stay the same.....

I've seen people mention that oil viscosity can affect function of the VVT but surely it can't do more than affect mpg slightly, if at all. The VVT sensor is a maintenance part. The screens fall off, they start leaking internally, etc. The wrong viscosity oil won't damage the sensor, it just "may", "theoretically" affect performance slightly.

The I6 is a great engine and is not hard on oil based on my experience and UOA's. However, they are prone to sporadic oil consumption so a thicker 30W and an oil check every 1k miles I would believe are good practice.

I actually recall lab testing that one years ago when we were putting a handful of additives through a wear and EP protection gauntlet. I wouldn't call it snake oil, because snake oil generally does nothing.

Let's just say, it didn't improve performance and it didn't stay the same.....
Exactly. And here is what I was trying to convey earlier:

What was the baseline and what chemical component in Nano does this? This additive only or was it mixed with an engine oil of a specific viscosity?

If I take a thick aftermarket additive goo (say 38-150 cSt@100C by itself) with some minor Anti-wear chemistry in it and test it using the proper ASTM protocols, it may well show some low wear scars.

But the major question is, will it really reduce wear when mixed with engine oil, or just thicken it slightly? I say the net effect is the latter.

Last edited:
I've used motor kote, only because my friend dared me to put it in the old mk4 jetta.

Sludged everything up.

VVT has been around for decades. Most problems with the systems are due to lax maintenance like not changing the oil regularly.

Run a good well known brand name oil. Change it regularly. You don’t need anything else.

Oil additives are like candy. It makes you feel good when you eat/use them but other than that they do nothing but drain your wallet and add to the waist line.

I have been sitting back and laughing at the knee jerk responses here. It's snot , it's a thickener and a tackifier ,it's snake oil....
I used it a year or two ago .Primarily due to the thermal conductivity claims and that it is primarily a moly additive by my research .I don't recall any startling results,primarily the engine was a bit quieter.But it poured out like transmission fluid ,from my research they use a 10 or 20 weight oil as a carrier medium.So definitely not a thickener and the product was a dark grayish color IIRC.Which seems to be the color of most moly additives, so it could be a useful product.

You could get extra protection from a 15w40 or 10w40 or 5w40 depending on where you drive in the winter …
Also, Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage is a thick 30 …
As far as that goes, why not a 0W40? It would get flowing faster than the three you mentioned.

As far as that goes, why not a 0W40? It would get flowing faster than the three you mentioned.
But flow is largely irrelevant in an ICE, what's important is pumpability. Unless you are starting unaided at -35F or below the 0W winter rating will have no effect.

Back