Myth Using Synthetic 10W30 Today in GDI Engines ?

Yes, the top or left in the below photo, is the upgraded super dipstick to solve all problems. :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, point of view is everything. It rained so ignore the water drops.
dipsticks.jpeg

I'm trying to help you with your oil consumption issue, as I have some experience with the 2.4 GDI.

Three questions for you:

1) Did it come with the "increased capacity" oranged dipstick from the factory, or did you get that via a recall or service bulletin update?
2) What other lubricants did you run in the engine and did it always consume oil?
3) How many miles on the vehicle and when did it start to consume oil?

I'm trying to offer you a best guess why it's consuming oil, as the amount of oil it's consuming is not normal.

As for my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L, I ordered a quart of engine cleaner from HPL and I will run a full 5000 mile OCI with that. I know the engine is clean, however, I want to get out whatever little possible dirt is in it. I will also send an oil sample to OAI and see if there is any unusual amount of wear metals or fuel dilution.

E.g. - if you have one or more pistons scuffing the bore, that should show up in an oil analysis as an decent size increase in Aluminum. Someone who knows more than me about the subject please correct me. I know that @dnewton3 is highly skilled and experienced when it comes to organizing and interpreting UOA data.

@ChrisD46 if I'm right, then you should probably do the same. Unfortunately, I learned that with these Hyundai engines the viscosity or oil brand isn't exactly the solution to keeping them for a long time. Proper maintenance and keeping them clean is.
  1. The new '17 Sonata came with the Orange dipstick .
  2. The factory fill was 5W20 which I dumped at the 1,000 mark and used 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 oils (Castrol , Mobil 1, Pennzoil , Quaker State and Valvoline) ... I ran one 4K mile / 6 month OCI using QSUD 5W20 for a worse case scenario base line oil analysis : Only silicon was high (poor fitting aftermarket air filter - went back to OEM tighter fitting air filter) ; TBN was down to 1.5 ... Essentially the Theta II had trashed the QSUD 5W20 oil by 4K miles - all oil changes since again have been 5W30 G1 / Gen 2 (now mostly Valvoline Advanced or EP 5W30 D1/ Gen 2,3 oils).
  3. 46K miles on the oil and the engine has consumed oil since day one (approx. 1 qrt. every 4K miles) The PCV valve was replaced at 40K miles with a OEM Hyundai PCV valve (although the original appeared to be clean and still functional - I changed it any way) .
  4. Miscellaneous : Suburban mixed driving with short and longer trips ; From home to work is 14 miles 40 MPH and 35 minutes on the road one way . Trips to the store , gym , etc. are 3 to 6 miles , OCI's continue to be 4K miles / 4 ~ 6 months MAX using 5W30 D1 / Gen 3 oils and Fram Ultra oil filters #9688 . I have 5 qrts of Valvoline Advanced 10W30 SP rated on deck to try in the Spring .

@Greasymechtech, do you know if that dipstick change was only applicable to the 2017 models? I have a 2016 2.4, would it also apply? I have not heard of this, mainly perhaps because I don't have much confidence in dealers, that I never visit them.

@Greasymechtech, do you know if that dipstick change was only applicable to the 2017 models? I have a 2016 2.4, would it also apply? I have not heard of this, mainly perhaps because I don't have much confidence in dealers, that I never visit them.
You'd have to break out your tape measure and compare to my earlier picture. Dipstick handle color was only an indicator that the campaign/tsb/recall/.... was completed.

The 2011-2014 had a 'high capacity' dipstick installed as a recall/campaign upgrade. From what I've seen, the highest capacity dipstick was never used on new theta2 engines, which were still in production until 2022.

Back