My wife’s first new car in 20 years

I hope not! I’ll get a look when I do my first oil change on it. My 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi has an exhaust crossover pipe directly under the transmission drain plug.
It does on our IS300 … easy to drain - not to fill …

Here’s a 2018 picture I have… it has the correct 2003-4 matching wheel covers now. Clearcoat is now wearing through on the roof.
That looks great! I know pealing or fading clearcoat is not desired but that is a small trade off compared to rust but you already know that. Thanks for showing off both Corolla's & good on your wife to get great use out of the 2003.

It does on our IS300 … easy to drain - not to fill …
If it’s anything like my prior GS350, and my son’s 4Runner, the exhaust runs 2” by the drain port. The easy-peasy method on these is to run 6‘ of nylon hose into the fill port from the hood, and rig it to a long-nose funnel zip-tied to a prop rod. Enjoy the fall air while standing up, drizzling ATF into the funnel.

Very nice upgrade.Happy wife happy life.
I have never much cared for this saying… it seems to me to suggest that the man’s happiness and fulfillment is only relevant to the happiness and fulfillment he provides to his wife. Traditional wedding vows are all about honoring, supporting, and giving to each other in unity. It is not about one person being beholden to the other. Otherwise the vow would be, “Do you take this woman be your lawfully wedded wife and promise to do whatever she wants of you?”

In this situation the wife clearly drove an older vehicle for a long time, for whatever reason, and she has something much nicer. There likely was a give and take in the exchange for the betterment of the whole.

Atomic silver is my favorite Lexus color. Alas, I was not able to find a GS 350 with this color and had to settle for my second favorite, Nebulous Grey Pearl With flaxen interior. Best of luck with the new ride. The 2GR-FKS engine is pretty much indestructible.

It’s a 2023 Lexus IS350 F-Sport, and it replaces her 2003 Corolla with 209K. The Corolla will now serve as my gas-saving commuter. I appreciate that this car is NA, RWD, and has port and direct injection. I also love that it still has a CD player. View attachment 181242
A truly beautiful car. I might venture a guess that it will give you an easy 200k miles if required. Enjoy!

So… background on the 03 Corolla… my (native Texan) wife bought it new just before she started law school at the University of Iowa. She had a RWD Nissan Frontier pickup that she loved, but was terrible in snow. After the trade, she felt like the Corolla was bland, and a downgrade. Numerous times, there were identical cars in the parking lot or a friend would say “hey I saw you out driving” when she hadn’t been. Silver 03-08 Corollas had to be the most common car in the US for a while. She chose the Corolla on the recommendation of friends, and mechanically it didn’t let her down, but she never really liked the car. I met her in 2008, when her car had 40K on it, and have maintained the car since then. So far it has only needed some a/c work, a $90 starter, and an $8 shifter bushing. We (mostly I) were hoping to wait until all of our student loans were paid before buying her a nice car, but I sold my Town car due to fears of repair bills down the road and my 04 Ram’s radiator failed, overheated, and the 4.7 was done for. I commuted for a few weeks in my inherited 2013 Ram crew cab, but it’s not ideal for 60-mile round trip commutes to Austin. So, with down payment from my sold Town Car and 04 Ram, we bought the IS. I’m 41 and never had a car payment in my life, so this is all very new to me.

My European Corolla is quite similar and I’d like to upgrade with Lexus like this:) congratulations.
P.s. my wife hate cars cause of emissions and the speed on the highway, so scary:)

Beautiful looking car that we cannot get in the UK. Only saloon Lexus sells here is the ES and when they did sell the IS you couldn’t get the 350.

I find Lexus UK offering lacking in a market that is known for its appetite for performance vehicles.

Back