Bought a new car, Camry hybrid

Our road gets a mix of salt and dirt . 2 times a stone got wedged between the rotor and pad . It's like listening to finger nails on a chalkboard , especially when making turns . Both times had to get the wheel removed to get them out :mad: . Also makes corners a bit risky due to the stones making it like driving on marbles , so I slow down .

Last edited:
The engine will run about 99.9% of the time. It can go maybe a mile on full electric below 45 mph but any slight throttle input will kick the engine on. It does shut off every time you fully let off the throttle tho.

I'm about 6k miles into a 2022 Camry LE hybrid and so far I'm averaging 49 - 51 mpg per tank. It's been a great little car for me and I have zero complaints.
I too have a Hybrid Camry (2022) and a hybrid Rav4 (2021) and in either situation, if your gas engine is running "99.9%" of the time, then you are either driving 99.99% of the time freeways, forcing EV-only mode, or you do not know how to drive a hybrid...to drive a hybrid in the same way as a non-hybrid is to get far less MPG than you could.

In both our cars, our motors only run about 30%-40% of the time in 75% city driving. Both our vehicles get around 20% better MPG than stated on the window sticker, and here is the kicker (and this is counter-intuitive) we drive faster than must drivers around us.

There is this thinking that getting the best MPG from hybrids is to drive them slow, slow off the line, slow up to cruising speed, but doing these things actually hurt MPG. In short, the trick to getter better than EPA/sticker MPG is to get off the line fast, and up to cruising speed fast, then hold it there steady.

We've only owned hybrids since 2012, and we have learned how to eek the best MPG and at the same time stay at or above posted speed limits.

I too have a Hybrid Camry (2022) and a hybrid Rav4 (2021) and in either situation, if your gas engine is running "99.9%" of the time, then you are either driving 99.99% of the time freeways, forcing EV-only mode, or you do not know how to drive a hybrid...to drive a hybrid in the same way as a non-hybrid is to get far less MPG than you could.

In both our cars, our motors only run about 30%-40% of the time in 75% city driving. Both our vehicles get around 20% better MPG than stated on the window sticker, and here is the kicker (and this is counter-intuitive) we drive faster than must drivers around us.

There is this thinking that getting the best MPG from hybrids is to drive them slow, slow off the line, slow up to cruising speed, but doing these things actually hurt MPG. In short, the trick to getter better than EPA/sticker MPG is to get off the line fast, and up to cruising speed fast, then hold it there steady.

We've only owned hybrids since 2012, and we have learned how to eek the best MPG and at the same time stay at or above posted speed limits.
Yeah I'm pretty much 95% steady speed of either 60mph or 70mph. I rarely ever sit in traffic. I've been averaging a pretty consistent 50 mpg per tank (hand calculated) We've had a couple of "cold" fronts push thru these last couple of weeks and it's been pretty windy and that dropped my last couple of tanks to 48/47.

Oh and don't believe the graphic on the infotainment screen on whether or not the engine is running. Sometimes mine will so the arrow just going from the battery to the wheels but the scan gauge shows the engine is still running.

Back