My Napa Pro Select filters are Made in China...

Status
Not open for further replies.
a canadian might not care where it is made but i do as a american i try to buy goods assembled here...just tonite i bought a bosch cartridge filter for my pontiac made in usa...WM sells for a 1$ less but they are made in bulgaria...i really hate buying chinese [censored]...i would rather give $$ to fat americans...or canadians

most of the wal mart filters are made in usa by champion...people complain about ceos and wall street, but most of them dont know or care about keeping jobs...the only vote we have is with our $$$...americans are pretty selfish, if they can save a buck over giving people here jobs then they will do that...i bet we will be just another 3rd world sewer in 30-40 years...but at least we got to buy chinese junk now

As a Canadian, I care very much where stuff is made, which is why I have American-made Donaldson and Fleetguard filters, and buy American parts whenever possible. Even if it costs more.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Korean car.... Chinese filters....

I guess I don't see a huge issue here.

(However the Korean car may have been built in Alabama)

My Sonata was indeed assembled at the Alabama plant.

I just find curious that no later than last year, everybody was raving about the Pro Select as one of the best low price filters available. And now, it's junk!

I guess I'll see for myself after I've used them. For now, I'll just make sure the threads are not defective as per the other topic on Wix transmission filters but appearance wise, mines look OK. They certainly look better and are better built than the Frams that we can buy up here for more $$.

Originally Posted By: Minou
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Korean car.... Chinese filters....

I guess I don't see a huge issue here.

(However the Korean car may have been built in Alabama)

My Sonata was indeed assembled at the Alabama plant.

I just find curious that no later than last year, everybody was raving about the Pro Select as one of the best low price filters available. And now, it's junk!

I guess I'll see for myself after I've used them. For now, I'll just make sure the threads are not defective as per the other topic on Wix transmission filters but appearance wise, mines look OK. They certainly look better and are better built than the Frams that we can buy up here for more $$.

I rented a Sonata that was built in the Alabama plant, and I was very, very impressed with the car.

ProSelect is on the best low price filters available. I continue to use them, and have no plans to stop using them in the future.

I guess I'll have to stop by NAPA, and grab one to cut open. This thread has me very curious as to what is lurking inside one of these Chinese filters.

Whatever is lurking in there, it would have to be really bad to be worse than a Fram. Every manufacturer is going to have an issue every now and then, even Wix.

FWIW:

I like the Amsoil EAO filters because out of all the ones I have cut open (many) versus the Wix, Fram and other brands I have never found any problems with its build construction inside and I feel confident enough to run it up to 3 times a normal filter change interval because of its superior construction.

Running the filter this long, makes for less of a mess, better filtration from better media (IMO), lower maintenance cost due to extended interval and better environmental protection from less waste IMO.

How long are you running the Amsoil oil filter ?

I do 20K miles on a Purolator Premium Plus filters since I do not like changing the oil filter.

I ran them short recently for an ARX run, but before this I ran it for 30K KM (18,750 Miles) (3 different oil changes) just to see what it looked like and it was like new inside after this many miles.

My UOA on the last oil change where I took the filter off was the same as the first one so I know they hold up well!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Anyone had a NAPA Gold filter made in China?

I hope not ... when WIX/NAPA Gold filters for my vehicles are made in China is the day I go buy the top tier competitor that is not made in China. Unfortunately, someday they may all be made in China since that seems the way our economy is headed these days.

The ProSelect filter I put on my Dodge Dakota last month and the one I put on my girlfriend's Honda Accord 2 weeks ago both said "Affinia Gastonia, NC". Not a word anywhere about being made in China. Is this something very recent?? I have had absolutely no trouble with these or any other ProSelects I have used in the past.

I don't remember the ProSelect filters I used having anything written on them saying where they were made, China, USA or anywhere else. The boxes all have "Affinia Gastonia, NC" written on the side of the box.

Hi to all. I have been a memeber here for some time, but have never posted. I work in product management for Baldwin Filters based in Kearney Nebraska. I will tell you that doing business in China is a [censored] at best. It requires a dedicated purchasing/quality/engineering team to make sure that the production product is the same as the test products received before an order is placed. With that said, we have a manufacturing location in China that produces product that is identical to the product we produce here in the United States. I am not sure if Napa's suppliers have their own manufacturing in China. If they do not, the chances of problems go up substantialy when product is sourced from a third party.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I don't remember the ProSelect filters I used having anything written on them saying where they were made, China, USA or anywhere else. The boxes all have "Affinia Gastonia, NC" written on the side of the box.

My boxes do have "Affinia Gastonia, NC" written on them but to the left under the Napa label, it says "Contents Made in China" in English, French and Spanish. Samething as well on the sticker label affixed on the filter.

The code on the dome of my 3 Pro Select reads: 05 08 08 BP2 W159. I bought them in August 2008.

I have a Purolator PP L14459 in stock and the Pro Select is a bit heavier, about 1/8" taller and the rubber gasket is thicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JPayne6128
Hi to all. I have been a memeber here for some time, but have never posted. I work in product management for Baldwin Filters based in Kearney Nebraska. I will tell you that doing business in China is a [censored] at best. It requires a dedicated purchasing/quality/engineering team to make sure that the production product is the same as the test products received before an order is placed. With that said, we have a manufacturing location in China that produces product that is identical to the product we produce here in the United States. I am not sure if Napa's suppliers have their own manufacturing in China. If they do not, the chances of problems go up substantialy when product is sourced from a third party.

This is why I don't understand why companies think it's "cheaper" to produce products in China or other foreign countries. There has to be all kinds of other things that they have to deal with that add costs, and as mentioned just the effort and manpower to keep an eye on the production quality, etc. What happens when bad product gets produced and causes a bunch of engine failures for some reason, and WIX or whoever needs to stand behind their warranty for these kind of claims? Or maybe customers return the product due to manufacturing defects for a refund or exchange - and then swear off never to buy the product again due to the China syndrome. Is it really "cheaper" for the company in the long run?

OK so now I am completely confused. ProSelect filters are supposed to be made by Wix to Napa's specs. Wix is supposed to be an American owned and run company that has been in business for decades. Wix is known for making good reliable filters at a reasonable price. So why am I hearing this now?

I have never had a failure of a ProSelect filter. To be honest, I thought they were American-made and built in either North or South Carolina. I thought by using Wix I was supporting the US economy and helping Americans keep their jobs.

Is there a filter that is made in America, made by Americans that does a good job and has a reasonable price? What about the Wix/Napa Gold? Is it still made in the USA? Is anything made in the US anymore?

Is there a filter that is made in America, made by Americans that does a good job and has a reasonable price? What about the Wix/Napa Gold? Is it still made in the USA? Is anything made in the US anymore?

My Fleetguard filters say "MADE IN USA" right on the side of them.

So do my Donaldson ones.

And so did the Purolator PureONE filters I purchased before them.

Is it still made in the USA? Is anything made in the US anymore?

Believe it or not the US is still the worlds leading manufacturer BUT since we dont make as many little every day items it wouldnt appear that way to the average person.

That being said the MC filters I use still say Made in the USA and I expect Purolator to keep it up.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
That being said the MC filters I use still say Made in the USA and I expect Purolator to keep it up.
The first thing I thought when I heard the FL820S was being shortened was that it would now be made "somewhere else"...I was relieved when I saw my first of the shortened versions and it still says "Made in
34.gif
"

Having said that, I bought up all of the "old version" they had in stock...

smirk2.gif
...I fail.

The day I pick up my AC/Delco filters and they say they're made in anywhere but the USA, I'll put them back on the shelf and buy something else. I do that with everything I purchase and it's sad that you can't buy more things made in this country. Making anything in China or Mexico, etc... is not good for this country. Even if you, as the one purchasing it, can save a buck or two.
People not giving a [censored] is going to be the downfall of this country. In every way.
And buying a japanese car that was assembled in Texas isn't the same as buying a Chevrolet assembled in Texas. The BULK of the money you spend on that car goes back to Toyko in the first scenario.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back