My Dilemma 7.5k OCI or 10K OCI...help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a UOA, you have something to discuss with the Dealership if something goes wrong. They know you are a high mileage driver.

The other thing is find a drive-through service canter that is acceptable to the Dealer/MFG - say a Chevron Oil Stop, or equal. 15 minutes every 5 weeks is not all that bad
smile.gif

If everybody was doing 10K miles then some guy would come along and ask if he could get away with 13.5K miles. Never fails.

What's cold weather in Atlanta?

Me, I'm lazy, and do 5k or 10k. Too simple, simply look at the odometer. Seems many others go to crazy miles on cheap oil--and the car still runs--so it just doesn't seem to matter. IMO, cheap oil and 5k; or decent oil and 10k. Done.

Besides: how long are you keeping? 5 and done for you would be 225k, which is pretty decent mileage, but if you're not going that high then I have to think it's just going to go the distance regardless.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
How about 30,000 on M1 AP?
wink.gif

This. And also you might wanna create a GoFundMe page for a new engine. I'll throw a couple bucks in there.

Update: so I went to 7500miles since my last oil change using M1 EP 0W-20. In the last 2000 miles, I noticed a weird but familiar coolant/oil smell. My coolant was below minimum level. Granted, it was very cold in January and had to use extended warmups. Nothing visibly burning out the exhaust. Nothing weird on dipstick. Sent my oils back to Blackstone. Blackstone noted NO Coolant/antifreeze in oil. However, they noted Aluminum and Copper wear that was 2 and 3 times the normal. They said that it could be left over from break-in and to check back in 7,500 miles. I do care about fuel mileage since I drive 30,000 + miles for work...I wanted to stick with 0W-20.

I need to formulate a proper gameplan. Below is what I am thinking.

Retest oil sample at 7,500 interval.

1. If normal and no further coolant loss, I could stay the course.
2. If the metals are still elevated, reduce OCI to OEM @ 5,000 intervals.
3. Nissan VQ35 known to sheer...bump it up to 0-30 OR 5W-30(OEM recommendation if 0W-20 is not available).

Which one would you guys recommend? In what order?

I always say never panic over an OCI result, particularly when using a spec oil. However, it has been noted that these engines do a little better on a thicker oil. Yes, a thicker oil will burn more fuel, but that amount won't be huge. Given the mileage you put on, your choice of oil tier is fine (i.e. M1 EP), but I'd have no problem bumping up the viscosity to a 5w-30. Try another 0w-20 OCI if you like, or bump it up.

When it comes to fuel mileage, dropping two mph off the cruise control will probably accomplish as much as any viscosity jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back