Mustang 5.0 went 50,000+ miles with no oil change, still runs

Some of these old clunkers was cheaper and easier to simply add and drive, it wouldnt have got an engine if it did jamb up which it didnt. Could have changed it every 50 miles and car wouldnt have went an inch farther.
I just pulled a sample I am going to send, we will see, 15 years and 1000 hours maybe more. Was running on LP though. It came in for other work, got a change and was in way better shape than we thought it was.
I am not a never change guy but we come a long way since we started and everyone had an anxiety attack when it hit 3K. I got to love the rationale that,,,, its cheaper than a new engine" which it is but its no guarantee that nothing is gonna go wrong if we obsess over the oil. My neighbor girl change every other week and it spit up an engine despite the constant fuss and worry and mine I change on occasion still running fine 10 yrs later.
There are a few engines are problematic, no argument there but most could go 30 or 40K as long as they not ran out,,, especially if they need some added.
What are the pictures of the oil drain pans for?

I don't think that picture really tells us anything about what that interval may have done to his engine.

I don't think I could live with myself if I missed one oil and filter change. My wife's car is now due a one years change and she is questioning me about doing it. Advantage of an OLM.

Reactions: 4WD
If this car uses any oil, say a quart every 3k or so, I can't see this actually being a huge deal. The filter was probably useless though.

alot of people don’t change oil when leasing a vehicle . My Co-Worker does that to all his lease cars he change the oil right before he turns it back in . He tells me the next owner better purchase an extended warranty because they going to need it smh 🤦‍♂️

The guilty party in these stories always seems to say something to the effect of "time got away from me", or "life happened". I find that so irritating. What happened is you were negligent and/or lazy. Not some act of mother nature.
Mr rebuttal to that is "time flies but you're the pilot and everyone has 24 hours in a day"

I didn’t read through that entire thread, but I’m highly suspicious that it’s a troll post.

Nobody is that nonchalant about something like that. He also states that “he will do the oil change himself due to budget”.

No one who is actually a DIY guy lets his oil go that long.

I call BS.

I drove a '76 Chrysler 31K miles without an oil change and was topping it off with oil I drained from my better cars during OC. It was already using/leaking a quart about every 300-400 miles so I figured I had nothing to lose. I sold it to a friend that needed cheap transportation and he drove it another year or two before junking it because it wouldn't pass emissions testing. I don't know if he ever changed the oil or not.

The guilty party in these stories always seems to say something to the effect of "time got away from me", or "life happened". I find that so irritating. What happened is you were negligent and/or lazy. Not some act of mother nature.
He must have been resetting the "Change Oil" OLM pop-up a lot.

alot of people don’t change oil when leasing a vehicle . My Co-Worker does that to all his lease cars he change the oil right before he turns it back in . He tells me the next owner better purchase an extended warranty because they going to need it smh 🤦‍♂️
Lexus holds you responsible for required services.
I leased an Accord years back and serviced it because I thought I might buy it out.

I'm not surprised. I'm sure it's got accelerated wear but I would not expect it to fail unless he raced it.

I can see him on a bitog thread now arguing with the 3k OCI crowd... "I've got 49k on my latest OCI and all is fine. I say go for it."
The guy will sell the Mustang and there will be a post of I bought this Mustang and after the first oil change it burns lots of oils and what oil will clean it up.

So, 50k miles until something bad happens. I would have guessed more but it's a data point. And people on here, I'm looking at you AutoMechanic at scared to go over 5000 miles on their oil. :)

Back