Mustang 5.0 went 50,000+ miles with no oil change, still runs

1616501936467-jpeg.50617
Then there's his description of what he saw when draining the oil (post #106). :oops: Also, the 2015 Mustang GT has a low oil level warning message, so he either ignored it or it didn't work for some reason.

Doesn't seem like a troll he's been registered there for years. He finally got around to changing the oil and the car seems to be running fine. I think he kept it alive by using synthetic and just topping off? But then stopped the last 10 or 20k.

Edited to add photo of timing chain.

View attachment 50617
Years and years ago a friend sold me an old Plymouth with the 318 ci engine for $25 because it was and old cheap car I never bothered to change oil and filter in it. I drove that car for over 3 years, it ran like a clock and always started in Minnesota winters after sitting out all night.
The car eventually blew the filter off. I put fresh oil and filter in and drove it for awhile longer. I'm 81 years old and still change my own oil needless to say I don't drive $25 cars anymore but it's amazing how some of these engines can take abuse.

Years and years ago a friend sold me an old Plymouth with the 318 ci engine for $25 because it was and old cheap car I never bothered to change oil and filter in it. I drove that car for over 3 years, it ran like a clock and always started in Minnesota winters after sitting out all night.
The car eventually blew the filter off. I put fresh oil and filter in and drove it for awhile longer. I'm 81 years old and still change my own oil needless to say I don't drive $25 cars anymore but it's amazing how some of these engines can take abuse.
Thanks, Hans.

Think I just figured out why he couldn't get to an oil change. Here's a quote from his thread. "I need to set a different goalpost for oil checks. I used to wash the car every 2-4 weeks, after getting married and having 3 kids in the past 4 years my car is lucky if it’s washed annually". Very little good can come from a woman and 3 kids under 4 years old. He would have probably been better off to have stayed single and took care of his car.

Think I just figured out why he couldn't get to an oil change. Here's a quote from his thread. "I need to set a different goalpost for oil checks. I used to wash the car every 2-4 weeks, after getting married and having 3 kids in the past 4 years my car is lucky if it’s washed annually". Very little good can come from a woman and 3 kids under 4 years old. He would have probably been better off to have stayed single and took care of his car.
4 kids in 3 years, somebody needs to tell him what's causing it.

Why do people act like they're personally offended by these type of stories ? :LOL:

There will always be these types of people who neglect maintenance. The real comedy is when the engine blows a rod or spins a bearing and these owners blame the manufacturer.

I see this all the time working on small engines... "Brand X is junk because I had one and it blew the engine" then the story comes out that the owner never checked the oil and it ran dry.

I suspect it's because they fear they might be the next owner of a vehicle like this.

Exactly. When I bought my 2011 Lexus GX last year I only looked at ones that had full service records at the dealer. Luckily, since its a Lexus, that was not an issue.

Was he on a keep-full regimen, or did this run 50,000 without even a look at the dipstick? If the latter, I'm pretty impressed, even with an 8 quart capacity. On my "quart a thousand" Cadillac, the oil was basically renewed every 6000 miles anyway.

In some cases aby maintenance past what it takes to keep it running past what the owner wants might be a waste. " I suspect it's because they fear they might be the next owner of a vehicle like this. " Ant this should matter to the first owner? At some point the difference in condition/cost might not matter. If Joe took great care of it in 5 years is worth 600 more for a trade in. Not worth it to replace all that crap and change the oil like a madman for the small juice. I

How ridiculous. I’m the type I change it at the exact mileage or sooner I won’t move a vehicle till it gets an oil change if it’s due. If the sticker says a certain mileage I’m not going over it.

In some cases aby maintenance past what it takes to keep it running past what the owner wants might be a waste. " I suspect it's because they fear they might be the next owner of a vehicle like this. " Ant this should matter to the first owner? At some point the difference in condition/cost might not matter. If Joe took great care of it in 5 years is worth 600 more for a trade in. Not worth it to replace all that crap and change the oil like a madman for the small juice. I
What?

How ridiculous. I’m the type I change it at the exact mileage or sooner I won’t move a vehicle till it gets an oil change if it’s due. If the sticker says a certain mileage I’m not going over it.
You stop on the side of the road and change it so it doesn't go 1 mile over the limit? 😆

You stop on the side of the road and change it so it doesn't go 1 mile over the limit? 😆
If I know it’s going to be due I change it before I go. I actually had a friend who’s dad would do that, once I see him underneath his car as I was coming out of school and I asked my friend what he was doing and he said it’s due for an oil change now exactly and he always does this.

Back