Mustang 5.0 went 50,000+ miles with no oil change, still runs

On some level it might not make much difference to do thousand in maint to get a few hundred more for it at a trade. Is that really that hard to grasp? The difference in condition often isn't a huge spread in value. I appraised a car the other day, 4900 in poor and 5500 in excellent. Got 50$ or 75 in return a year for fussing over it
Slightly different if running it to the end at some point. I don't think it's a great idea to ignore it till it is ruined but the constant worry not worth it and 40k oci is going to be here shortly.

He said the dipstick was dry after wiping it. I'd like to know how much oil is actually left in there. Doesn't sound like he cares to do anything but change it maybe though. We will probably never know...

The 5.0 is a durable engine. I know because I raced a Mustang with one. I mean... I put ridiculously expensive oil in it and changed it far too often, but it was modified, went up to 7200 RPM, was constantly rung out, and I even farted on it once. Pretty good.

The 5.0 is a durable engine. I know because I raced a Mustang with one. I mean... I put ridiculously expensive oil in it and changed it far too often, but it was modified, went up to 7200 RPM, was constantly rung out, and I even farted on it once. Pretty good.
Stock 5.0’s can make 1000 hp with a blower and some basic bolt ons. They are very stout, especially considering you can get one in a <$30k truck.

I feel bad for letting my wife's Crosstrek get to 10K before an oil change. It was the required synthetic oil and a NAPA Platinum filter. The main reason was it was cold and snowy outside. And I thought it was more like 8K miles since last oil change. I do keep the maintenance on a spreadsheet but had not looked at it in awhile.

Quick lube places are everywhere . Sit in the car, sip the coffee they give you, 10 minutes later drive away, warm, cozy, and fresh oil. My grandfather loves those places, so we go together, I drive, because he doesn't like to drive much, and its 12 minutes each way from his house. He sits in the passenger seat and sips coffee, we chat, and 10 minutes later are back on the road. Then we usually go for lunch afterwards. I offered to do it for him many times, but something about them he really enjoys, so we make an afternoon of it. Last time, after the oil change, he wanted lunch at a particular restaurant an 80 minute drive away, so off we went.

Quick lube places are everywhere . Sit in the car, sip the coffee they give you, 10 minutes later drive away, warm, cozy, and fresh oil. My grandfather loves those places, so we go together, I drive, because he doesn't like to drive much, and its 12 minutes each way from his house. He sits in the passenger seat and sips coffee, we chat, and 10 minutes later are back on the road. Then we usually go for lunch afterwards. I offered to do it for him many times, but something about them he really enjoys, so we make an afternoon of it. Last time, after the oil change, he wanted lunch at a particular restaurant an 80 minute drive away, so off we went.
Until they leave old gasket on the oil filter mounting base, or use wrong oil, or strip or overtighten drain plug or damage something trying to get an air or cabin filter out for an upsell.

Plenty of damage by DIY types. Not limited to quick lubes. They not all dopes, got a bud manage one for a while and a smart guy. But certainly think the damage to air filters a reality. Some of the housings are real fussy and can seem right or tite and not installed correctly. Took over service of a pu a while back and give it a line item service, been thru 2 or 3 shops and a dealer and no one notice no engine air filter in it. They just change the oil.

He said it didn't register on the dipstick afterwards, is what I meant. So I wonder how much was actually left in there...
I was under the impression the 5.0 Dip stick was 1 qt between the lines? If so, I bet he could have still had 6.5 qts in the thing and not had oil on the stick.

I was under the impression the 5.0 Dip stick was 1 qt between the lines? If so, I bet he could have still had 6.5 qts in the thing and not had oil on the stick.
Coyote is 1 qt between full and low lines on the dipstick, but in order to be totally off the dipstick it would need to be at least 2 qts low.

He said it didn't register on the dipstick afterwards, is what I meant. So I wonder how much was actually left in there...
This is what he saw when draining the oil. Got about 3 qts of nasty oil out.

Quote from the post below: "Accounting for the extra pint I poured in, and the uncaught spillage from changing the filter, I only had about 3 quarts of oil drain out..."

Back