Multiple cleaners/additive in tank at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what the effect of my intended "4 oz. Seafoam, 4 oz. MMO" and POSSIBLE can of Berryman B-12 would be, if i didnt add anything for the next 2000 miles or so. Would these "clean?"

I also picked up the one on the right, for PEA-based cleaner. Didnt add it or the Berryman OR the MMO to the gas.. just 5oz. Seafoam on a touch over half a tank (slight underdose.)

I would like to put the Regane, the Berryman, and 4oz. MMO in this half tank. It will add gas on Monday maybe Tuesday back to full.. then i would maybe just add 4oz. MMO and 4oz. Seafoam again? "Cleaning her up!" What are your thoughts on this.

I have:

1. 1 16oz. bottle MMO
2. One can Berryman B12
3. The Gumout on the right in the pic
and 4. 8oz. Seafoam left.

Thanks

553883_310808138985739_100001696655273_794228_536536000_n.jpg

I'm not a chemist but when all of these things are formulated and tested, they are done so with only gas.

I think they shouldn't be mixed.

Also, if you want to evaluate which one caused which effect, you'd want to hold as many things constant while only varying one input.

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
I'm not a chemist but when all of these things are formulated and tested, they are done so with only gas.

I think they shouldn't be mixed.

Also, if you want to evaluate which one caused which effect, you'd want to hold as many things constant while only varying one input.

ACP45 this is definitely something you don't want to play chemist with. These cleaners should likely not be mixed, or at least these companies figured that the majority typical consumer would NOT combine the products together.

DO NOT MIX ANY ADDITIVES INTRODUCED INTO A FUEL SYSTEM TOGETHER!!!

I don't think I'd put either Berryman's or Seafoam in any car I liked.
I would certainly not mix a cocktail of every possible additive I had laying around just for grins.
I would try the Gumout, followed with the MMO, or vice versa.
If you really think you need serious cleaning, Red Line and 3M both offer adult strength PEA products.

I recall a story of the local Arbys being evacuated due to a rocket scientist mixing cleaners to make a "better" cleaner. This reminds me of that story, wonder if it will have the same outcome?

Now he is definitely yanking our chain! Somebody needs to take the keys from him :)

Seriously, just use that Regane bottle and nothing else in the tank.

- Vikas

These folks that insist on putting all sorts of snake oils into their fuel systems just boggles the mind. The only one of these things he mentioned that is actually approved by Automakers is
the Techron product. The other stuff is either non effective, or potentially damaging to a fuel system. Why waste your money?

Yes, this isn't oil additives brewing a lasting mix for prolonged use.

At the very least, by mixing these you minimize the potential gains from one or the other by keeping the additives in such small doses so as to dilute themselves with each other.

Detergent and solvent = no point in using together in your fuel system.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
These folks that insist on putting all sorts of snake oils into their fuel systems just boggles the mind. The only one of these things he mentioned that is actually approved by Automakers is
the Techron product. The other stuff is either non effective, or potentially damaging to a fuel system. Why waste your money?

+1... This OP is looking for trouble
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Now he is definitely yanking our chain! Somebody needs to take the keys from him :)

Seriously, just use that Regane bottle and nothing else in the tank.

- Vikas

+1.....agree. Use a bottle of Regane or Techron or RedLine Si-1 (if you can find it)....in a full tank of gas.

All three of these products have worked for me...but use only one product at a time..

Well, no.
Anything containing PEA is an effective fuel system cleaner.
Red Line and 3M both offer fuel system cleaners more effective than Techron, and the better Gumout products are effective as well.
PEA content is key, not vehicle maker's approvals.
Need to know what you're posting about before posting.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, no.
Anything containing PEA is an effective fuel system cleaner.
Red Line and 3M both offer fuel system cleaners more effective than Techron, and the better Gumout products are effective as well.
PEA content is key, not vehicle maker's approvals.
Need to know what you're posting about before posting.

Quote:
At the very least, by mixing these you minimize the potential gains from one or the other by keeping the additives in such small doses so as to dilute themselves with each other.

Detergent and solvent = no point in using together in your fuel system.

This is more what i was thinking, potentially counteracting uses.

Alright, well.. this is why I consulted with the board. The truck is feeling better. Its got a lot of oil in her now, and my added MMO is combating the added STP. I put ~5oz Seafoam in the tank on just over a half.. not like the first time a couple thousand miles ago when i put in two cans and thought it was why there was SES light (turns out that was overcooling byproduct it hasnt come back on.) Now that the engine is running efficiently, and since a stall was reported, i figure getting more agressive with cleaners will help that.

Getting burned off through the exhaust a la Seafoam makes sense, if it works that way. And im not talking about making a "smoke show" with her car. That would earn it a TOW to the mechanic.. leave it alone, please. Just stating that im not sucking Seafoam through her vacuum line. Cant even see where it is on this engine. They made this one different, the Vortec 4200. Good engine, just not familiar to me.

Therefore. I am not "looking for trouble".. Fuel will be replenished "Tuesday at the latest" as gas mileage has dropped. Perhaps I could:

1. Use up the remaining half-bottle Seafoam (approximately correct dose, a tad underdosing) and let that tank run through, which will be about a week, 3 days at worst case?

2. Then put in the Berryman B-12, can on full tank as it says.......

3. Then when it gets readded to the tank (or skip one, perhaps) I could start with the 4oz. MMO, thats 4 MMO applications over 4 tanks, then 4. finish it off with the Regane i bought, on the right, pictured, PEA?

Sure im additive-happy, but if i MUST put something in there to feel better (and i must,) how is this plan?

Also.. WE DO USE THE GAS THAT DOES NOT HAVE NAME TO IT. "Quick chek." Down the road is a HESS, same price. I always thought this made NO DIFFERENCE as per 1. Interbrand distribution making names irrelevant and 2. Minumun Federal detergency levels, even in "no name gas" see #1. "Gas is gas is gas?" Its between $3.51 a galon for the Quick Chek OR Hess we choose to $3.,89 a gallon for Shell, and what is the demonstrable difference..

Sea Foam only seemed to help in operation smoothness during use, but IMO offers no lasting cleansing in any apps with actual 'cleanliness' issues(aside from minimal).

B-12 is a bit more aggressive, but personally I'm more interested in Kreen than B-12.

I'd use a PEA cleaner as directed, in a tank full that will be run down to Empty in a SLOW manner(dont use PEA for cleaning dosages during travel, only local/normal driving habbits). Solvent is a bit different of a story. I'd try something like B-12 or Kreen once in my fuel system, the end. PEA all the way afterward, if I went the solvent containing route at all.

Don't get offended but are you the person who takes the car to the pump and fills the tank in this vehicle?

Last edited:
Actually THE ONLY product that is approved by the major manufacturers is the PEA (detergent) products Techron, Regane, Redline, ect...

Generally speaking the car makers do NOT recommend putting solvents into the tank, especially strong ones. You'll likely damage and or shorten the life span of rubber or other components.

ive put seafoam and MMO into my lawnmower at the same time and nothing bad happened. lol but the only reason i did it was to fill the tank so i did not have to go to the store to fill up the 1 gallon portable tank...was just in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Don't get offended but are you the person who takes the car to the pump and fills the tank in this vehicle?

I pay for the gas, yes. No offense taken.

As to the cleaners, i added 3oz. MMO to the half tank/slightly over. I had previously added 5oz. Seafoam to this tank when it was more full. It will need refilled either tomorrow or Tuesday. At that time I am debating putting in the whole can Berryman - to the full tank - and leaving the half can remaining Seafoam and 513/16ths remaining MMO for about 1000 miles out?

I am having somewhat the same experience as the AZ fellow with the EXT version (?) same year of our vehicle (fellow TrailVoyer) that its sounding quieter.. in our case its sounding quieter already. It had been very bad at one point when NO additives at all were introduced, the oil was run low, and it was just the 10W-40 with STP in the middle of this super mild winter we had. Now, ive totally ODd card with cleaner before (2 gallons MMO) and noticed no ill effect.. rather good ones, and Gary Allan used to talk about "1 quart MMO and one quart ATF in the tank.) Now i would not so that with this car. But how is my plan sounding?

I like saving $4 or $5 a fill-up. Thats another reason i decided to check out these additives.. at the rate of use, it makes sense.

And if they dont do anything? Well.. its a feel-good move, and the ONE PEA thing i got (Gumout hi-mi with Regane?) .. i can use it after the other products i mentioned i have.. remember, 4000 miles is about a month, so.. not too long..

With all the abuse this truck has taken i dont see how these fuel things can kill it "particularly if they dont do anything." (?) But ill BET you the "startup noise" is why he puts 10W-40 in there. Anyways, i cant promise that he puts 10W-40 in every car that comes in except in winter.. idk. (not trying to talk about mechanic just stating as it relates to this truck.)

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have tried them all in numerous cars and the two best were.

BG44K and Redline SI-1... Both were and still are loaded with PEA...

Have you tried Amsoil PI...?

High PEA in it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back