Movies that you like, but others don't.

You got a taste for? Nostaligia? Classics? I love them.Lots hate them. LOL.
Just watched African Queen (OLD Humphrie Bogart) with the wife and we enjoyed.

You listed many I like that I have seen bad reviews? for. The un highlighted ones I have yet to see.
The Highwayen - Its ok to laugh.... LMAO at myself.
At first I took it for the Johnny Cash/Kris Kristofferson/Waylon Jennings/WillieNelson country music supergroup!
Hell or High Water - I saw the original trailer yet have not been able to see yet.
Collateral - Same thing. Just not seen yet.
One more - you can laugh again..... yet there is a possibilty my guess is right since many of your films I own and I know the release dates.
The Getaway - is that the 1972 Steve McQueen version or the 1994 Alec Baldwin? I liked them both.
Since you enjoyed those.
You may enjoy Steve McQueen's - Thomas Crowne Affair. Re-made with Pierce Brosnan / Rene Russo (very good as well)
Here is one of mine: Its long and hard for some to sit thru. Terrible re make some years back. Again a Steve McQueen. Papillon.
Right now I am watching (very rare for me) a very new movie. Amsterdam... 1/3 thru it and so far so good. Never cared for Christian Bale yet I have seen two things with him recently and changed my opinion. #1 American Hustle #2 Amsterdam (so far.)
The old Steve McQueen version of The Getaway. Shotgun toting badass.
If you like law enforcement history read the bio of Texas Ranger Hammer (The Highwaymen). Another badass.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Tom Courtenay
Oldboy - A Spike Lee film from around 2012 with James Brolin
Nebraska - Bruce Dern
On The Edge - Bruce Dern
Harry and Tonto - Art Carney
Lucky - Harry Dean Stanton (his last pic)
The Man Who Wasn't There - Coen Bros, great cast!
A Midnight Clear - Peter Berg, Kevin Dillon

I could go on ... there are so many under recognized films

Nebraska - Bruce Dern
On The Edge - Bruce Dern

Only saw Oldboy from that list, quite a twister...

1) When movie "Drive" came out in 2011, I got excited about it and watched it with a group of friends. None of them enjoyed it as much as I did. Re-watched it recently and enjoyed it just as much as I did back in 2011.

If you liked that, which in many ways is a decent flick, you might like the 1978 original as well: The Driver with Ryan O'Neal, Bruce Dern, and Isabelle Adjani and directed by Walter Hill.

Last night I watched Hard Eight with Philip Baker Hall, John C. Reilly, Gwenyth Paltrow, Samuel L. Jackson, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'd forgotten much of it as it's been more than twenty years since I've seen it, and it still stands up quite well. Hall's character, Sidney, is light years removed from the comedic turn he did as Bookman, the library cop, on a Seinfeld episode, for which he is fondly remembered. I still consider his characterization and performance one of the greatest comedy performances on sitcom TV, yet his performance here is much more compelling.

Nebraska - Bruce Dern
On The Edge - Bruce Dern

The only one of those I've seen is "Loneliness Of The Long-Distance Runner". A coworker who knew I ran marathons and didn't have pay TV taped it for me on VHS.

I found it very moving and quite profound - certainly not the typical sports movie. It's stayed with me over 25 years later.

Maybe others like this movie.. I'm trying to get a certain member here to check it out lol. Was pretty good and IMHO pretty well done for a movie version of a true story of national security (Hanssen) I did like it!

Eric O'Neill (Ryan Phillippe), a low-level surveillance expert with the FBI, believes he is accomplishing his dream of becoming a full-fledged agent, with his unexpected promotion and assignment to work with renowned agent Robert Hanssen (Chris Cooper). However, he soon learns the reason for his promotion is to gain Hanssen's trust and find proof that he is a traitor to the country.
Release date: February 16, 2007 (USA)
Director: Billy Ray
Budget: 23 million USD
Box office: 41 million USD
Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Production company: Sidney Kimmel Entertainment

Now who doesn't like that one?

Though I find it disturbing aswell. Especially how Brolin's character ends up dead while handling the money case with such care. They would've got me much earlier, except that trackers are so omnipresent now that I would look for it immediately.
No Country for Old Men..... Brolin was not your everyday John Doe.. In the movie he was a Vietnam veteran who had already survived people trying to kill him. So yeah, he did much better than most of us I guess would have. Anyway, while disturbing , I like something about it. "Do u have a quarter? Heads or tails!?" "Wait a moment now friend, I have to know what we flipping for here." Then the maniac killer says. "You are flipping for it all , friendo. Now call it!"
Talk of those movies brings to mind one that no one has said they liked.... its the least to say a disturbing one that stars Guy Pearce when he was getting lots of work in Hollywierd. RAVENOUS. Its pretty sick IMHO. Set in the untamed American West of the 1890s.

Godzilla movies. all of them

The Ten Commandments, 1956 version. Edward G Robinson at his best

The Wild One with Marlon Brando. When I saw it at age 14, I decided I needed a British twin motorcycle. I still have a cap like Marlon wore, wear it while out in the Corvette.

One I watched the other day that's been out for awhile was, "The Departed". It's full of big stars. Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen, and Mark Wahlberg. Even that idiot Alec Baldwin managed to snag a role in it.

It has an excellent good guys / bad guys plot. The cops were infiltrated by a bad guy, (Matt Damon). While the mob has been infiltrated by a cop, (Leonardo Di Caprio). The whole thing builds to a climax where you wonder who lives, and who dies.

Back