Motor Oil Geek..Oil & Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing snake oil works.

We use various cam mfg supplied ZDDP booster. Don't over treat and you won't have problems that LSjr talks about.

Inital wear-in lubricant is out in a 1/2 to 1 hour. First OCI is 300-500 miles. 1/2 the recommended treat rate for cam wear in, 1/2 treat rate thru first OCI. Filter change (WIX) at each oil dump.

No TBN issues.

Best oil additive? - more oil. The left behinds at the bottom of those used jugs is magic.

Erson ZDDP.jpg

Watch the video
You are the exact kind of user - on why I stopped posting here after about 2010 - I watched the video, I've watched it twice. Its amazing that the Motor Oil Geek Himself talks about presenting data being one of the biggest and most critical issues on why he makes his content - to not leave things to speculation or leaving you in a feel-good position because you think you can be a at home chemist.

You missed the point, the boat, the dock, and the ticket of what I was saying - I wish I could see the empirical, numerical data driven values for those additives - not because I believe or don't believe that they are good or bad, but because I'd like to see the data for them and unfortunately, they weren't tested.

Does CAT do that because the operating environment under which maintenance is being done is dirtier or has more opportunity for the introduction of outside contamination?

At the end of the day, bulk oil comes from a dirty tanker, that goes into a dirty tank, that goes into the machine. Or from a dirty tank, into a dirty drum, then into the machine.

They want oil that meets their ISO specs before it goes into the machine. That’s their protocol.

You are the exact kind of user - on why I stopped posting here after about 2010 - I watched the video, I've watched it twice. Its amazing that the Motor Oil Geek Himself talks about presenting data being one of the biggest and most critical issues on why he makes his content - to not leave things to speculation or leaving you in a feel-good position because you think you can be a at home chemist.

You missed the point, the boat, the dock, and the ticket of what I was saying - I wish I could see the empirical, numerical data driven values for those additives - not because I believe or don't believe that they are good or bad, but because I'd like to see the data for them and unfortunately, they weren't tested.
Which values specifically? He did show the actually UOA's from all the additives. Just asking.

This was the stuff when Cap'n Ahab ruled and Elephants ran wild down the Via Appia.

View attachment 219443
Talk about a very old vintage can. I wonder who manufactured that for Chrysler. Could it be possible that International lubricants Lube guard was making this product back in the day? Very impressive find. I bet that can would bring a lot of money to some people who collect Automotive cans and such

Which values specifically? He did show the actually UOA's from all the additives. Just asking.
The chain going back, I had mentioned I had wished to see BG MOA and the very commonly referenced and used here Rislone 4102, which use to be I think like 100QR or something. They simply weren't tested, thats all. It would have been interesting to see more then just the VOA that we get every so often - oils get VOA\UOAs far more frequently then we see with additives. But theres always going to be more additives that could have been tested or included.

Unpopular (or maybe popular?) opinion:

There is a nearly limitless amount of testing that would need to be done to satisfy everyone. “Well he didn’t test XYZ with CYA! So his tests don’t matter because he didn’t do ABC.”

Yeah, it’s showing the fundamentals. This is basic lubrication formulation 101.

If you have a pan, that can hold 12oz of cake mix - you can only put 12 oz of cake mix in it. Inside of that cake mix, if you change the recipe, it’s not going to be the same cake. If you’re trying to get the end result, to look like the cake on the box, then, you can’t change their recipe.

That’s a very layman’s interpretation of oil formulation. When you start adding things to oil, you change the recipe. There is a reason why Afton / Lubrizol / Infineum / Oronite / Inospec and other additive companies literally spend Billions of dollars in their R&D budget every year. There is, also a reason why major oil companies, ILMA’s and others spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing and testing finished products. There is a reason why companies like HPL, Driven and other smaller blenders have niche products for niche markets - older vehicles, race cars, etc. and they do all sorts of testing as well. (I didn’t throw redline in there, since they’re technically a major now.)

But hey, some dude said use this can’o’stuff. It makes your oil more gooder. Did they do… any of the above? Probably not. The guys that I’ve met at trade shows who push that stuff either 1. Know they’re selling junk and will admit it on some level, but the money is great. 2. Are true believers but have no idea how their products actually work on the chemical level. Typically spouting out words like nano bonding micro technology.

So, you pick. It is a free country (world?) and this is the internet. I ain’t here to tell anyone how to spend their money.

Another channel did some testing of an additive producxt and mentioned the LSJR video that is the subject of this post. Folks wanting so desperately to see variance in UOA that they can correlate to changing oils or using an additive w/r to wear metals....not how it works unfortunately.

But we don't know, do we?

Does an engine having no oil pressure for a fraction of a second less while idling under no load at all actually cause any wear at all when it has an established tribofilm? I'm doubtful. But we simply don't know.

Personally I think the risk of having some kind of debris in the new oil and putting that in the clean side of the filter is far higher than the damage potentially caused by having no oil pressure for a second or two on an idling engine under no load. But that's my opinion, I have no factual evidence to prove that.

And that last sentence is my entire point. He should have never made out that an engine will be better off if you pre-fill an oil filter, because his tests did not prove that. All he did was prove that oil pressure rises faster if you pre-fill an oil filter. And so what? My oil pressure rises faster if I start my engine at full throttle and redline the second it fires. Is that better for the engine? If we go by the Motor Oil Geek findings, it must be!
I know but basically if we had our druthers..

Watched the video last night, I'm quite surprised he didn't test BG MOA as its a common product amongst dealerships and some automotive shops.

In before someone that usually hates all the youtube stuff/LSJ is all over this with "I TOLD YOU ADDITIVES WERE BAD!" LM MoS2/Ceratec seem ok in this testing w/r to not negatively impacting to the base oil.
I was using LM MoS2 in our CAT pumps at work to the exact measurements listed on the can per oz. of oil used with Summit Industrial Oils ( Kluber Company) and was having leaking main seal issues. With Summit anyone has rights to talk to anyone in the company all the way up to the CEO. I talked with their lead R&D chemist and said I was adding an additive to it and I did not say what. He ask if I was using Moly (the black version/he used the proper word for it) I said yes, how did you know. He said it is very well known to cause seal leaks. I stopped using the LM moly and I have yet to have a seal leak. I have stopped all oil additives after that. He also said we spend so so so much time and money on making a great oil and adding anything that is not calculated in, can and will in some cases fight against another additive. Yours just was fighting against your seals.

The title of the post includes fuel additives...are they addressed in the video? Sorry...I can't watch right now but I'd be surprised if all fuel additives were worthless.

No, he pretty much states fuel additives are the only kind that are usefull, and particularly PEA containing additives.

I was hoping someone posted this video. I think it's interesting about the fuel atomizing that's important to keep fuel dilution down via keeping the injectors clean. Makes perfect sense b/c when the fuel isn't atomizing correctly it won't combust properly leaving the leftover fuel combining into the oil. Also, just a reminder of the importance of a clean air filter to get the proper air/fuel mixture at all levels.

Don't see how the air filter makes any difference in the air fuel mixture. The amount of air is measured and in gas engines throttled so there could be a power impact at full throttle but no impact on emissions or atomisation. Going up in elevation has a much more severe impact on air entering the engine.

Don't see how the air filter makes any difference in the air fuel mixture. The amount of air is measured and in gas engines throttled so there could be a power impact at full throttle but no impact on emissions or atomisation. Going up in elevation has a much more severe impact on air entering the engine.
Think about a fully loaded air filter, bugs, dirt, dusty environment, etc. Not only can this cause lack of airflow for combustion it can also overheat the engine. Surprised you didn't know that. 😜

I was using LM MoS2 in our CAT pumps at work to the exact measurements listed on the can per oz. of oil used with Summit Industrial Oils ( Kluber Company) and was having leaking main seal issues. With Summit anyone has rights to talk to anyone in the company all the way up to the CEO. I talked with their lead R&D chemist and said I was adding an additive to it and I did not say what. He ask if I was using Moly (the black version/he used the proper word for it) I said yes, how did you know. He said it is very well known to cause seal leaks. I stopped using the LM moly and I have yet to have a seal leak. I have stopped all oil additives after that. He also said we spend so so so much time and money on making a great oil and adding anything that is not calculated in, can and will in some cases fight against another additive. Yours just was fighting against your seals.
I've never heard of MoS2 causing any drama in ICE engines anywhere except for your example.

I'd like to add that I try somewhat hard to seek out "Top Tier" gasoline fuel stations & I'd wager adding fuel additives would not be necessary on a regular basis. Perhaps once in a while could help. Another mention is that the posted graph was diesel injectors & IMO a fuel additive would be mandatory on a regular basis for diesel's since the USA has basically non existent "Top Tier" Diesel fuel. Not sure about CA but probably the same situation. I've never bought into oil additives so I dodged that. :)
FWIW: Kirkland Signature Diesel – available at select Costco locations – has been certified to meet TOP TIER™ performance standards. Learn more about Top Tier at toptiergas.com.

But yes, I agree that TT Diesel is hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back