Motor Oil Geek..Oil & Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason not to fill it unless you're using a possibly contaminated bottle of oil...he pretty well proved it enough to me that I'm going to pre fill again every time whenever possible.

Proved what exactly? Cause all he proved was oil pressure rose faster with a pre-filled oil filter. He did not prove it was any better for the engine in any way shape or form.

A few seconds of no oil pressure vs an almost instant rise to operating pressure. I will take the instant. I dont need a million dollar study (which BTW no one will ever fund) to know that any time I can reduce or eliminate a low/no pressure condition its better.
I saw a guy a while back arguing about not prefilling the filter due to the possibility of introducing dirt into the filter. He said this as he was pouring bulk oil from a container and a funnel that had been sitting on top of his barrel in a dirty shop.
This has been hotly debated for a long time and neither side will ever convince the other that theirs is better.
So I will keep pre filling my filter from a clean, freshly opened bottle using clean techniques. :cool:

Proved what exactly? Cause all he proved was oil pressure rose faster with a pre-filled oil filter. He did not prove it was any better for the engine in any way shape or form.
No, I watched the entire video and what I remember is his conclusion was based on that the oil will never be cleaner than it was before you poured it in initially.

The title of the post includes fuel additives...are they addressed in the video? Sorry...I can't watch right now but I'd be surprised if all fuel additives were worthless.
They're in the video and Lake said that they're relevant as long as they contain a certain ingredient which I'm drawing a blank on right now.
Techron is one that I've used a few times over the past seven years of owning my current ride which has 213k miles...and it does have said ingredient.

They're in the video and Lake said that they're relevant as long as they contain a certain ingredient which I'm drawing a blank on right now.
Techron is one that I've used a few times over the past seven years of owning my current ride which has 213k miles...and it does have said ingredient.
PEA
Polyetheramine

No oil additives are good for your engine it’s all snake oil. You are playing chemical Russian roulette with your engine putting additives in it that doesn’t belong.
There was a time and place for all those additives back in the 60s and 70s and maybe at the race tracks or drag strips. But.... these days
the oil industry has gotten so competetive the companies spend so much money on R&D and it has paid off with them offering some of the better, most advanced oils we can get our hands on today there is absolutely no need for additives that I can see. Over the last several
years quite a few of those oil additive companies from STP to Dura Lube to Slick 50 have ended up "trying" to defend themselves and none of them have been able to prove to the courts their products can actually do "anything" let alone some of what they claim.

Lake Speed Jr. is the son of former NASCAR driver and team owner Lake Speed. A former crew member for Chad Knaus at Melling Racing, Speed joined the Joe Gibbs team in 2004 and led the creation of Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil.
I have seen a lot of lake speed jr videos and to me it looks like you are promoting "joe Gibbs driven racing oil" harder than lake speed jr is.

There was a time and place for all those additives back in the 60s and 70s and maybe at the race tracks or drag strips. But.... these days
the oil industry has gotten so competetive the companies spend so much money on R&D and it has paid off with them offering some of the better, most advanced oils we can get our hands on today there is absolutely no need for additives that I can see. Over the last several
years quite a few of those oil additive companies from STP to Dura Lube to Slick 50 have ended up "trying" to defend themselves and none of them have been able to prove to the courts their products can actually do "anything" let alone some of what they claim.
There is still a place for additives as cleaners and flushes. Most oils are designed to prevent sludge & deposits from building up. Few are actually capable of cleaning existing deposit build up. Because of some design flaws and poor maintenance deposit build up is an existing problem with some make/models even while using synthetic oil.

There is still a place for additives as cleaners and flushes. Most oils are designed to prevent sludge & deposits from building up. Few are actually capable of cleaning existing deposit build up. Because of some design flaws and poor maintenance deposit build up is an existing problem with some make/models even while using synthetic oil.
(y)Yes, that is true.(y) I meant to say there is not as much of a need as there once was. As you point out it is still very easy for some folks to end up with badly gunked up engines. Reasons can be thru use of poor quality cheap-o-oils , lack of attention to predictive/ preventive maintenance practices etc.... There are still a few products available that do work that I have used on occassions some time back. Like MMO or some of the "leak stop" engine or transmission products. Thankfully I have not had the need for such in quite a while..

Because it is.

I posted a thread on this a bit ago.

The blending process isn’t clean. Moving it from blending to storage isn’t clean. Storage to bottling isn’t clean. The brand new bottles aren’t super clean. It’s all happening in a not clean facility. Then finally pouring it into a dirty funnel isn’t clean. (Assuming you use a funnel.)

It’s why companies like CAT filter their oil before it goes into a machine. And why I filter my oil before it goes into my trucks.
The inside of the oil filter is "dirtier" than the oil coming out of the bottle, VOA proves again and again that the oil in the bottle is clean, what you have on your funnel is your own responsibility.

Lake Speed Jr. is the son of former NASCAR driver and team owner Lake Speed. A former crew member for Chad Knaus at Melling Racing, Speed joined the Joe Gibbs team in 2004 and led the creation of Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil.
I saw him push a motor oil. The old Valvoline Cummins developed "engine restore" . Says "it works". Probably can't get it any more.

Last edited:
The inside of the oil filter is "dirtier" than the oil coming out of the bottle, VOA proves again and again that the oil in the bottle is clean, what you have on your funnel is your own responsibility.
Ain't that the truth and the recent oil filters are having all kinds of issues besides contaminants

There is a time and place for some additives where the goal of treatment out weighs the negative effects eg. worn engines, sludge up engines, stuck rings etc. if something needs fixed or helped along do to a real issue and it’s worth trying an additive before salvaging or dumping $$$$ into it, that’s an appropriate time for an additive.
It doesn’t matter if a particular additive decreases the useful life of your oil if the additive is doing something the oil can’t do alone such as freeing a lifter, cleaning rings or sealing some seals etc.

I think it's cool that he had HPL do some of his testing for the video.

I have used many oil and fuel additives over the years. Some got me better mileage, maybe engine life.

Reading here at BITOG and all the "good" recommended product over years. I still have some LG BioTech to use up, maybe. The Auto-RX times definitely reduced the oil consumption in my Corolla. HPL EC30 seems to have cleaned up stuff from my vehicles left by quality name brand synthetics.

For fuel BG44k made a noticeable positive change after years of regular Techron use. The BG Synchro Shift II stopped me from doing a tranny rebuild. I like their products.

Like TiGeo and many threads with other users over the years MOS2, Ceratec seemed to help reduce friction with things like OPE/Generators, not sure on vehicles.

I think biggest thing now is that the oils are much better formulated. Regular maintenance should keep most things running well. Some additives or differently formulated oils may correct issues from neglect or prevent the issues from happening better.

I'm not into extended OCI's due to my usage conditions. I'm trying to stick to the better oils and will use 1 qt of HPL PCMO. All the conversations/threads is that I could use a qt of EC30 all the time since it's good oil. The other HPL oils do more with better oil. Maybe not correct and I'm making something worse like the video but I think great oil with really good oil will keep me clean. Maybe one day I can afford just great oil for longer OCI's.

My vehicles currently allow for pre-filling filter because they mount that way so I do. My Corolla was sideways so everything would pour out, that didn't get prefilled. I don't have any cartridge or top mount ones yet.

I'm especially curious about that, how so? How were you able to determine that? Thanks.
I think it was from posts here at BITOG. IIRC member up north running same equipment day in, day out for construction stuff. He was getting longer run times once started using it and longer life before needing replacement.

Anecdotal, small sample size, yup. Other's here like an use. I have used the Ceratec and M0S2 but not a regular basis, can't say as I noticed anything I could measure. Maybe the lighter wallet and feel good warmth in my heart causing less weight to move around. :oops: 😁

My generator rarely gets used but I went thicker from recommendations here and also will do more often from fuel dilution from start and not long enough runs. Riding mower will get whatever Syn I have and maybe some LG BioTech to use it up.

Cars will probably just stay with better oils, most likely Euro's with more stringent approvals with some HPL added.

If I help neighbors, whatever they want to pay for but I used R&P last time for them.

I don't think it is true too! People always have some reason to shoot others down.
Agreed. Just because you make and sell something doesn't make you dishonest.

I make and sell many products. I don't puff them and I tell you straight up what the product offers and if it is a good match for your needs.
I know others that do the same. I turn down more customers than I take on.

Consumers are a weird bunch themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back