Motor Oil Geek..Oil & Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
In before someone that usually hates all the youtube stuff/LSJ is all over this with "I TOLD YOU ADDITIVES WERE BAD!" LM MoS2/Ceratec seem ok in this testing w/r to not negatively impacting to the base oil.
they're still diluting the mixture, which would change the additive ratios. like he says, if it were worth using, they'd put it in the oil itself.
the engine flush section, too, yikes.
I didn't see where he did an analysis on an off the shelf oil mixed with either LM product, that would be interesting to see.

No oil additives are good for your engine it’s all snake oil. You are playing chemical Russian roulette with your engine putting additives in it that doesn’t belong.
Even if your statement is right, or wrong - it would be nice to see the numerical values, and data behind those two specifically.

I'd like to add that I try somewhat hard to seek out "Top Tier" gasoline fuel stations & I'd wager adding fuel additives would not be necessary on a regular basis. Perhaps once in a while could help. Another mention is that the posted graph was diesel injectors & IMO a fuel additive would be mandatory on a regular basis for diesel's since the USA has basically non existent "Top Tier" Diesel fuel. Not sure about CA but probably the same situation. I've never bought into oil additives so I dodged that. :)

I like his videos. I don't think he gets enough subscribers though compared to his know it all YT commenters.

I was watching him this morning on an old 55" TV my only beef is did he have a lip piercing?

It was driving me nuts and grossing me out but I couldn't really tell from far away.. 😆
That stuff grosses me out too. 😂

6B1FD965-2096-4E66-AF57-BE1B1D922157.jpeg

they're still diluting the mixture, which would change the additive ratios. like he says, if it were worth using, they'd put it in the oil itself.
the engine flush section, too, yikes.
I didn't see where he did an analysis on an off the shelf oil mixed with either LM product, that would be interesting to see.
Precisely what a Mobil engineer told me almost 25 yrs ago, if it was worth putting in the oil it would already be in there. No need to mess with a fully formulated oil, made sense back then, makes sense now.

Precisely what a Mobil engineer told me almost 25 yrs ago, if it was worth putting in the oil it would already be in there. No need to mess with a fully formulated oil, made sense back then, makes sense now.
Problem is the vast majority of people don’t think critically enough. Tgey buy into the marketing and hype. Based on non scientific antidotes that can’t even be proven. Not to throw shade on this forum. It’s places like this that perpetuate this behavior. The majority of participants are only posting their own personal experiences and nothing else. Nothing might happen to the person’s engine using these additives while they own it, but what happens with the next owner who puts in a different oil and it reacts differently and the engine blows? The oil additives are junk science.

After watching many of his videos, I must say this is probably (IMO) his best. In the past, I've not been that impressed with his presentations, but this is much better.

- he stays one point and doesn't wander off topic
- he confines the topic to that which applies to MANY people (it's not racing oils or racing applications; he's talking about "normal" oils and Joe Average applications)
- it's organized well
- the summarization is easy to understand

This video reinforces what I try to get all my non-BITOG friends to understand ... DON'T MESS WITH THE OIL. Change it at the appropriate interval and worry about something else in life.

After watching many of his videos, I must say this is probably (IMO) his best. In the past, I've not been that impressed with his presentations, but this is much better.

- he stays one point and doesn't wander off topic
- he confines the topic to that which applies to MANY people (it's not racing oils or racing applications; he's talking about "normal" oils and Joe Average applications)
- it's organized well
- the summarization is easy to understand

This video reinforces what I try to get all my non-BITOG friends to understand ... DON'T MESS WITH THE OIL. Change it at the appropriate interval and worry about something else in life.
None BITOG??? What about the BITOG members that believe in messing with the oil.... :ROFLMAO: 🍿

I gave up watching his videos after the 'prefilling oil filter' video. He decided he was right simply because the oil pressure rose quicker. No actual factual answer about if the engine idling for a second or so more without oil pressure actually caused any harm at all. But the oil pressure rose quicker so he must have been right 🙄

I gave up watching his videos after the 'prefilling oil filter' video. He decided he was right simply because the oil pressure rose quicker. No actual factual answer about if the engine idling for a second or so more without oil pressure actually caused any harm at all. But the oil pressure rose quicker so he must have been right 🙄
I think in that scenario it's so varied nobody could give you a factual answer with any certainty.
I was taught as a teenager to fill the oil filter and I still do because I haven't blown anything up yet. Why mess with success.

I think in that scenario it's so varied nobody could give you a factual answer with any certainty.
I was taught as a teenager to fill the oil filter and I still do because I haven't blown anything up yet. Why mess with success.

I totally agree with you. So finish the video with that summary then. Don't claim that your engine will last longer because the oil pressure rises a fraction of a second faster when you prefill the oil filter as we simply don't know that.

I don't prefill as I dislike the thought of putting dirty oil into the clean side of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back