Motor Oil Geek..Oil & Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with you. So finish the video with that summary then. Don't claim that your engine will last longer because the oil pressure rises a fraction of a second faster when you prefill the oil filter as we simply don't know that.

I don't prefill as I dislike the thought of putting dirty oil into the clean side of the filter.
Given our combined criteria he shouldn't have made the video in the first place eh? 😆

I think in that scenario it's so varied nobody could give you a factual answer with any certainty.
I was taught as a teenager to fill the oil filter and I still do because I haven't blown anything up yet. Why mess with success.
Just don't fill it all the way up on a Subaru - or anything really- as I mentioned many many thymes before with a mansplanation.
Arco totally blown off as usual :) :)

Just read this to bolster my theory. Yes, its a dry start but ... It can also be a vintage Buick thing which is my thing.

Regardless, I fill my filters 2/3 to 3/4 full and leave just a bit of air 'headspace'. - Arco

Synopsis from the flatironstuning video below -

"The argument is that if the filter is full of oil, the passage in the block between the filter and the pump is then sealed, so the oil pump would have to create enough pressure to force that air through the filter before it can start pulling oil up from the pan. If the pump can't do that for some reason, then it will not prime.

The test to confirm this was easy. Allen simply removed the oil filter, and cranked the engine over. Very quickly, oil was coming out of the block because the pump was now pulling from the pan and priming. From that point, the filter was put back on, and the pump started making pressure when it was cranked over again."

Last edited:
Some folks think newly bottled oil is dirty out of the container.

Because it is.

I posted a thread on this a bit ago.

The blending process isn’t clean. Moving it from blending to storage isn’t clean. Storage to bottling isn’t clean. The brand new bottles aren’t super clean. It’s all happening in a not clean facility. Then finally pouring it into a dirty funnel isn’t clean. (Assuming you use a funnel.)

It’s why companies like CAT filter their oil before it goes into a machine. And why I filter my oil before it goes into my trucks.

Because it is.

I posted a thread on this a bit ago.

The blending process isn’t clean. Moving it from blending to storage isn’t clean. Storage to bottling isn’t clean. The brand new bottles aren’t super clean. It’s all happening in a not clean facility. Then finally pouring it into a dirty funnel isn’t clean. (Assuming you use a funnel.)

It’s why companies like CAT filter their oil before it goes into a machine. And why I filter my oil before it goes into my trucks.
I don't have that problem because all of my oil comes from Universal Oil Inc...

When it comes to quality I don't play games...

Out of all the VOA & UOA I've seen the VOA is always cleaner than the UOA 10 out of 10 times. Dirty oil in our engines get cycled throughout at higher contaminate levels so why pre-filter. Just trying to understand. Does one just buy a transfer pump with a filter attachment? Anyways, maybe a discussion for another day getting off topic.

I don't have that problem because all of my oil comes from Universal Oil Inc...

When it comes to quality I don't play games...

(That’s not my company if you’re referring to that.)

But good? I know the GM/CEO there, as they’re an ESOP.

I gave up watching his videos after the 'prefilling oil filter' video. He decided he was right simply because the oil pressure rose quicker. No actual factual answer about if the engine idling for a second or so more without oil pressure actually caused any harm at all. But the oil pressure rose quicker so he must have been right 🙄
If pre filling is giving quicker oil pressure then that's something. Even if it's just marginally advantageous then I'll take it.

Also I use a can of PEA-based cleaner in my gas each oil change....looks like that was a good move.
Looks?!!?!? No, it absolutely is a great 👍 move. Like I said before,I have a feeling the PEA can get circulation throughout the entire engine and is a key material to a quality fuel system cleaner.
I wish Archoil 9100 would have made it into the test,along with Redline Si-1.

Coworker and I have friendly conversations about motor oil..sometimes it gets heated. He is adamant about using Lucas stabilizer in his 400k mile Ram 1500 and I keep telling him to stop using it.

Now I got some ammo, maybe he will listen :D
The idea that a Dodge actually made it that far be a power greater than most can phathom is all he knows. He believes that this truck is the "chosen one". That elephant 🐘 snot might be all that's keeping it together with the JEGS and STP stickers covering most of the back window. Personally, let him have his parade with the cake and ice cream. Just don't offer wrench time or tech support for any issues he had with it. My true.guess is someone was actually paying attention and doing their job and it was built on a Wednesday during 2nd shift.

I totally agree with you. So finish the video with that summary then. Don't claim that your engine will last longer because the oil pressure rises a fraction of a second faster when you prefill the oil filter as we simply don't know that.

I don't prefill as I dislike the thought of putting dirty oil into the clean side of the filter.
You don’t prefill it with dirty oil. You fill it with the new stuff out of the bottle.

If pre filling is giving quicker oil pressure then that's something. Even if it's just marginally advantageous then I'll take it.

But we don't know, do we?

Does an engine having no oil pressure for a fraction of a second less while idling under no load at all actually cause any wear at all when it has an established tribofilm? I'm doubtful. But we simply don't know.

Personally I think the risk of having some kind of debris in the new oil and putting that in the clean side of the filter is far higher than the damage potentially caused by having no oil pressure for a second or two on an idling engine under no load. But that's my opinion, I have no factual evidence to prove that.

And that last sentence is my entire point. He should have never made out that an engine will be better off if you pre-fill an oil filter, because his tests did not prove that. All he did was prove that oil pressure rises faster if you pre-fill an oil filter. And so what? My oil pressure rises faster if I start my engine at full throttle and redline the second it fires. Is that better for the engine? If we go by the Motor Oil Geek findings, it must be!

Out of all the VOA & UOA I've seen the VOA is always cleaner than the UOA 10 out of 10 times. Dirty oil in our engines get cycled throughout at higher contaminate levels so why pre-filter. Just trying to understand. Does one just buy a transfer pump with a filter attachment? Anyways, maybe a discussion for another day getting off topic.
Plus what are the particles? There's a big difference between a few small cellulose fragments from filtration and something more abrasive. Every time I see these discussions on "particles" in the oil from a particle count, no one is doing SEM/EDX or other analysis of them. To me that's significant in determining how much of a threat they pose.

Isn't HPL EC an oil additive? If so is it the only good additive out there? I don't think so...
This was the stuff when Cap'n Ahab ruled and Elephants ran wild down the Via Appia.

spem oil.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back