Most random rant of the week. Why can't I buy diced pears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to buy diced/sliced pears in extra light syrup. Simple right? No. Nobody sells it in any size larger than what should be for a first grader (the little mini plastic fruit cups in 4 packs for ~$2). I've looked high and low in all the cities in the OKC metro except Costco (which is next on the list). Nobody sells it. I'd be okay with a large chicken broth sized can. I'd be thrilled with a #10 can. I know for a fact they use these in foodservice/Sysco. But you can't buy that for some ridiculous reason.

Why is this so hard?
21.gif

Why do I need this exact thing in larger than a single kid's fruit cup you ask? Well, I love pears, hate heavy syrup, and I'm cheap (I turned down $18 jugs of M1EP yesterday...). I would literally eat a full package (4 cups), or maybe two (8 cups) every time I tear into them. I don't want a mini cup, i want a bowl of 'em. That's up to $5 each time. That gets expensive quick. So why are they ONLY sold in mini cups? Are there no pear lovers out there? Why no #10 cans? Why no 'large cans'? Why not even a normal size can? It's ridiculous! Anyone know something I don't? Can I just go rob my local Sysco warehouse of a few cans? They act like it's a controlled sub... well, I don't want to get this thread locked.
lol.gif

And before anyone calls me insane, you are all members of a motor oil forum...
wink.gif

I don't want to be the bully standing behind the police officer, but....

Hey tony1679, how 'bout a THANK YOU to billt460?

Buy the can, or in your case, a case. Round up a bunch of glass jars and transfer them upon opening a can.

Don't refrigerate an open can.

You could go to the school yard and sell small jars of pears to the first graders.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by tony1679
......Why no #10 cans?......

Here ya' go.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regal-foods-10-can-diced-pears-in-light-syrup/99902020.html

$13.54 shipping on a $4.19 item kinda kills it. Plus (and I understand I'm being nitpicky here) I'm after extra light, not just light. Good find though! For some reason I couldn't find this. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Amazon.

Just finished checking a third time. Cheapest per unit option costs more than the kid cups in stores. No go.

Originally Posted by Kira
I don't want to be the bully standing behind the police officer, but....

Hey tony1679, how 'bout a THANK YOU to billt460?

Buy the can, or in your case, a case. Round up a bunch of glass jars and transfer them upon opening a can.

Don't refrigerate an open can.

You could go to the school yard and sell small jars of pears to the first graders.
lol.gif
I was already typing this reply before your post. *Thanks!* Yes, the last time I had a #10 can of these, it was opened, immediately packed into Pyrex glass containers with tupperware-like lids, and went straight into the fridge. What didn't fit into several containers, well... of course it was eaten.

I got said can because my side job is an entity that receives Sysco products. I went to take the shrinkwrap off of a pallet of pears and was cutting vertically with a very dull boxcutter blade and somehow managed to puncture a can right below the lid. Due to how insanely strict we are about food safety (considering kids), it was doomed to be thrown away. Because it was the last hour of my shift, after confirming it couldn't be used, and because of the stellar location of the puncture (it never leaked!) I was allowed to stick it in the fridge in the break room until I could take it home. I've had withdrawals ever since I finished them off.
lol.gif
And now I'm here itching for more.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
You could always just buy fresh pears and skip the sugary syrup and all the extra packaging.

Yes whatver happened to Grandma doing some canning.

Another thing lost .

Ball jars and some tutorial and youll be on you way one rainy, lazy afternoon.

Put some effort.

I don't get it. Pears slice easily with a knife. Canned pears slice so easily you could slice them with a spoon, or lay them on a plate and ram the top of the open can down upon them to dice them up.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Put some effort.

The problem is that it's easier to sit down at a computer and "rant" about something instead of finding a solution.

I go by a restaurant supply company regularly. I will check next time I'm there.

However, shipping from Whitehall, NY will be steep.

Seriously, such a supply house is your next stop. U.S. Foods might be another source.

Originally Posted by billt460
Plus (and I understand I'm being nitpicky here) I'm after extra light, not just light.

Here ya' go.

"LITE DICED PEARS IN EXTRA LIGHT SYRUP, DELMONTE 6/105OZ CANS"

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/d...D-DkzCMespm_GSO1DB30cKMAAB0aAkQ4EALw_wcB
Nice find again. But $61/case plus almost $25 shipping puts it well above the cost of the baby cups per unit. Why is this so crazy? Buying in bulk is supposed to be cheaper!

A for effort though.

Originally Posted by Kira
U.S. Foods might be another source.

Somehow I completely forgot they existed. Yeah, this may be the ticket. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Nice find again. But $61/case plus almost $25 shipping puts it well above the cost of the baby cups per unit. Why is this so crazy? Buying in bulk is supposed to be cheaper!

You have to remember you're getting 6, 105 ounce cans. That translates to 39.37 POUNDS OF DICED PEARS. $61 @ case + $25 shipping = $86 Total delivered. That comes to only $2.18 @ pound. $25 to ship 40 pounds isn't bad. I don't know how you expect to get around that if you are buying in bulk. Unless you can find a restaurant supply that has them close enough to drive to and pick them up, you're going to be SOL.

If you price most processed, sugar added canned fruit in syrup at your local grocery store, you will find it comes in at, or around that $2.18 @ pound price. Regardless of the size of the can. Peaches, pears, fruit cocktail, etc.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Good luck finding your pears.

His problem isn't finding his pears. That's already been done for him. His problem is he doesn't like the price, or want to pay it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back