Most dangerous States for pedestrians infographic

My wife is always commenting on how many people around here get hit by cars,so I found this infographic interesting.

They say Florida, New Mexico and South Carolina are worst, so I guess she is right.

"According to the source, pedestrian deaths have been climbing steadily in the United States to more than 6,500 people in 2020 - up from around 5,500 in 2015."

I would think there is a correlation between anger and hit and run. A “normal” person doesn’t hit people. When I see joggers jogging down the center of the road, I don’t speed up and hit them. I think they are not that bright and there’s nothing I can do. Having only seen this behavior when the pandemic started, I googled and the first article that came back was that this is a problem in CO.

Where I live a man ran over a toddler at the gym. He felt really bad. The toddlers parents were devastated. Toxicology showed man had no drugs nor alcohol in his system. Which is why I refer back to anger.

Overall people seem to be getting angrier. And the angrier someone is the more likely they are to be reckless and/or speed. So I think it’s just going to get worse.

As for why people are angrier, I think this world is a more stressful place than it used to be.

Earpieces, headphones and phones are a big contributor. Just saw an ad for a new noise cancelling headphone, just what you need to block out the horn while your distracted jaywalking. Same applies to drivers, I've seen plenty of plugged in drivers.
Two wrongs don't make for many rights.

If they split Hillsborough(Tampa) and Pinellas(St. Pete) in that graphic, I feel Pinellas would take the crown (unfortunately)

It's really simple, if you look at the map.
The weather is warmer in the south and more people are outside all year.

It's just another misinformed "news" story based on no scientific data analysis. Meaning these are not the most dangerous states to walk in by any means.
To be most dangerous one would have to analyze data on amount of time (hours per day annually) the population is outside walking.

This is a perfect example of what our society is becoming, rules, laws, agenda's based on mass media without an actual explanation of the results.

Think about that.
"Average deaths per 100,000 people"
Well, guess what? If 100,000 people are hunkered down in the snow belt or storm belt or cold winters of the north, then they are not outside walking around getting hit by cars right? This in turn turns those states into lower pedestrian casualties.

(this stuff drives me nuts) :sneaky:

Last edited:

It's just another misinformed "news" story based on no scientific data analysis. Meaning these are not the most dangerous states to walk in by any means.
To be most dangerous one would have to analyze data on amount of time (hours per day annually) the population is outside walking.

This is a perfect example of what our society is becoming, rules, laws, agenda's based on mass media without an actual explanation of the results.

Think about that.
Well, guess what? If 100,000 people are hunkered down in the snow belt or storm belt or cold winters of the north, then they are not outside walking around getting hit by cars right? This in turn turns those states into lower pedestrian casualties.

Your response is just more nuanced than my "keep it brief" one liner on the misuse of statistics.

I guess I should have used one of the smiley faces. :geek:
:unsure:

Think about that.

There seems to be some correlation based on the map, but how come NC is half or less than SC?

Demographics are pretty similar between the states but NC has some much larger cities, so if anything I would think its higher.

Obviously its too cold to walk outdoors in MN 1/2 the year, so that lines up.

Around here at least I think its more than likely a lack of sidewalks and jaywalking.

There seems to be some correlation based on the map, but how come NC is half or less than SC?

Demographics are pretty similar between the states but NC has some much larger cities, so if anything I would think its higher.

Obviously its too cold to walk outdoors in MN 1/2 the year, so that lines up.

Around here at least I think its more than likely a lack of sidewalks and jaywalking.
The largest city in NC is Charlotte and that is still less than 1 million people/ if you pull up all the city areas of NC all are smaller than that, all are in the colder central part of the state. None of the large population centers are along the coast like they are in SC.
NC is not by any means a warm winter state.
Charlotte for example, the most populous city average low temps from DEC 1st to sometime in March are under 40 degrees.
Im just typing this quick... as my wife wants to go to the beach today ... at least to walk around anyway, doubt I'll go in the water ...

BY the way I like Statista seeing those stats presented like that tells me that they might be going "mainstream" for more revenue maybe they always were but I never knew them to present things like that leaving our an important fact as they did. But then again...

Last edited:
The number are likely skewed by high traffic, high pedestrian/bicycle areas. Numbers roll up to the state level, but that is likely too general a view. To glean meaningful information, you have to drill down.
But the stats are a start.

The largest city in NC is Charlotte and that is still less than 1 million people/ if you pull up all the city areas of NC all are smaller than that, all are in the colder central part of the state. None of the large population centers are along the coast like they are in SC.
NC is not by any means a warm winter state.
Charlotte for example, the most populous city average low temps from DEC 1st to sometime in March are under 40 degrees.
Im just typing this quick... as my wife wants to go to the beach today ... at least to walk around anyway, doubt I'll go in the water ...

BY the way I like Statista seeing those stats presented like that tells me that they might be going "mainstream" for more revenue maybe they always were but I never knew them to present things like that leaving our an important fact as they did. But then again...

I lived in Charlotte for almost 10 years - Huntersville to be precise, before I moved to the SC coast. The Metro area is around 2.3M - your looking purely at the stats for the city proper.

There are as many people in the SC upstate as are anywhere near the coast. Nowhere in NC outside of some very northern mountain counties have average daytime temps below freezing for any month.

Having lived in both places I can't fathom weather being the big difference.

I lived in Charlotte for almost 10 years - Huntersville to be precise, before I moved to the SC coast. The Metro area is around 2.3M - your looking purely at the stats for the city proper.

There are as many people in the SC upstate as are anywhere near the coast. Nowhere in NC outside of some very northern mountain counties have average daytime temps below freezing for any month.

Having lived in both places I can't fathom weather being the big difference.
One would guess the numbers come from a dense population micro area within each state. And high cell phone use...

IME, the further out from a metro area, the more drivers think their vehicles have a right of way over pedestrians so area does matter. The more there's local pedestrian and biker traffic, the more vehicle traffic will actually yield to pedestrians.

Last edited:
A lot of times the pedestrian cause their own problems, their parents didn't teach them not to run across a busy street or play in traffic.
I see that all the time. Distracted kids and people of all ages pay no heed when stepping into the street. Many drivers are not much more careful either. In Florida, you have a lot of old people with poor vision, no hearing, and game legs trying to evade old drivers with poor vision and neuropathy in the lead foot.

Back