Obesity

Time to lay off the McDonald's folks. It's hurting the economy.

"The US has one of the highest rates of obesity in the advanced world, a rate that has increased from 15% in 1980 to 30.5% in 2000 to 41.9% in 2020. This is ten times the rate in Japan and significantly higher than China. Obesity is linked to multiple health problems, including heart disease, depression, hypertension, lifestyle related cancer and diabetes, which afflicts 13% of the population and costs US employers an estimated $90 billion a year.
The obesity problem is significantly worse in a cluster of southern and southeastern states (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas) that have strong military traditions. It is also worse in the working class and in Black and Hispanic populations (the figures for Asians are more complicated because there is such a difference between Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent). A 2020 study put the economic cost of obesity at almost $1.4 trillion for 2018 — almost 7% of the gross domestic product.
The opioid epidemic turbocharged America’s problems with drug- and alcohol-abuse. Deaths from drug overdoses rose from 17,000 (62 per million) in 2000 to 92,000 (277 per million) in 2020, largely driven by the mass production and distribution of opioids by big pharmaceutical companies. Unsurprisingly, opioid abusers are more likely to take unscheduled leaves or drop out of the workforce entirely as well as to die prematurely.
The opioid epidemic may have taken root in populations that already had health problems: The vast majority of opioids were originally prescribed to people who want relief from pain caused by either disability or illness. The epidemic is certainly more concentrated in certain classes and areas where repetitive physical work is a way of life: Death rates from overdoses are five to seven times higher for those without a college degree than for those with one and much higher in ex-coal mining communities, particularly in Appalachia, than elsewhere.
The Covid-19 pandemic acted as the third horseman of the health apocalypse. America’s Covid death rate is still much higher than in most other advanced countries, with 339 deaths per 100,000 population compared with 254 in France, 201 in Germany and 134 in Canada, thanks to the country’s poor primary healthcare system.
The pandemic led to a sharp decline in America’s (already low) labor force participation rate, a decline from which the country has still not recovered. It also seems to have left a longer-term legacy in terms of “long Covid,” a problem that doctors are still trying to understand but which leaves people with problems such as fatigue, shortness of breath, and brain fog. The Brookings Institution suggests that some three million people — or 1.8% of the civilian labor force — may be out of work due to long Covid, representing $168 billion in lost annual earnings."

Not all of us.

Laziness and lack of self control. Some have medical problems the vast majority don't.
A lot of it is genetics and physiology. Especially with regards to women. Unfortunately when you live in a society where food scarcity isn't an issue and manual labor is no longer required you end up getting fat. I have no sympathy for those who lack motivation AND have a lifestyle which affords them the opportunity to fix it.

Last edited:
Our lifestyles are funded by future earnings (borrowing money today to pay back with future labor). Eating fast food is no different - when you account the value of time, it is cheaper to eat fast food than to cook it yourself and this was true even before the hyperinflation of food in the last couple of years. In case of the fast food, you pay for it with possible lower health status and higher medical expenses in the future.

Not all of us.

Laziness and lack of self control. Some have medical problems the vast majority don't.
Not only that, but half of the people in this country who currently have diabetes, don't even know it! In another 10 years there won't be a shortage of EV's..... Only dialysis machines. Covid is the least of our worries.

Obesity is relatively rear in my neck of the woods. That's not to say there aren't overweight or obese people but they are not common. When I travel to the south I'm always shocked.

You can eat McDonald's but like everything in life, it's all about choices, and moderation. I love to get two McDonald's cheeseburgers after lifting - no fries and no drink - just two cheeseburgers. Perfect post-workout snack.

We're eating ourselves to death.
Agree, the majority;
Sad part is the others have to pay higher health insurance costs because of it. There are no options and current law I do not think allows health insurance for those that weigh their proper BMI weight, have Lipid panels showing correct cholesterol in their blood, ect. to pay lower rates. Meaning a class of insured people who take care of themselves.

Americans complain about health care costs. Well, then
1. Dont eat fast food, dont eat fried food, dont eat any snack food, do not eat anything more than two meals a day, no snacks, dont drink soda of any kind, dont drink fruit juices of all kinds, in fact dont drink anything except water, coffee or tea. Dont eat any bread unless it's whole wheat.

2. Do cook your own meals, lean meats only, fish at least 3 times a week, vegetables, and very little starches (potatoes)
If you go out to dinner, an example that I do is BoneFish Grill, only grilled fish and if a steak, 6 oz with shrimp.
Even Texas Road House you can have a decent meal and skip those delicious rolls. :eek:)
Do eat a yogurt or frozen yogurt for a desert at night if you must and two pieces of fruit, even 3 pieces (to start) a day. Apples, Oranges, Bananas, anything fruit.
3. If you weight more then the BMI scale says you should then you are doing something wrong. Because two meals a day with no snacks should maintain your weight. I actually only eat dinner and very light lunch. Banana, a few nuts, water, if I go to the gym I reward myself with a small box drink Orgien, Clean Protein.

We are full of excuses in the USA, drives me NuTs at the long insane lines outside of ChickFil la EVERY SINGLE DAY of the week, its so bad now they have people in the parking lot directing traffic and still the traffic backs up onto the main road and its a HUGE parking lot! *LOL* Gosh all for garbage food.
Other fast food places, much the same, every evening cars are lined up like ducks at the drive up windows, it IS INSANE. None of this so called food has any value and people pay through the nose for the junk and we, even the healthy eaters pay the health care costs for it.
Never mind the death and destruction of the families themselves.
There are no healthy foods in fast food places. Maybe better said 95% of the people who buy food there are eating unhealthy.
We really do have a problem in this country, all we do is complain but so many unwilling to do what they know is right.

I think the only way society can change this is financially. Health insurance cost should carry an additional premium for each percentage over your maximum weight as determined by the BMI.

Last edited:
Here is a little observation from a couple times I went on the cruise...
While I was on the cruise - I ate so much that it scared me, yet I didn't gain any weight by the end of the cruise, and I actually felt great, more energetic. All the cruise food ingredients came from third world ports that we visited. Then back home I eat much much less, and gain weight like crazy. For the record - I was less active on the cruise ships than I am back home. So can't attribute the lack of weight gain to all the walking all over the cruise ship and ports.
Something ain't right with this food. My lack of self-control doesn't help, sometimes I got it for a while, but then the slip-up happens and it's hard to get back in the self-control groove... My emotional self-control is great, I get tons of compliments on that one. It's the food self-control that keeps me a fatass.

Back