2021 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE - Rental Review

The Toyota CH-R is pretty much the competitor for the Outback Sport (they are virtually the same size), other than the fact that the CH-R doesn't offer AWD. The Toyota Corolla Cross will directly compete when it comes out later this year.
These small CUV's are just econo boxes. The class-in general gets lousy reviews. The CHR-R the HR-V all bad.

That's pretty typical of any ex-rental I've seen. Of the 3 ex-rentals I've purchased over the past 5 years, none of them had more than one oil change shown on the carfax. All were a year old. Mileage at time of purchase was 32K, 24K and 15K. Could they have more oil changes done on them? Possible, but I doubt it because why would they not 'advertise' that.
Oil changes are not necessarily entered in to the CarFax system.

Reactions: JTK
The Toyota CH-R is pretty much the competitor for the Outback Sport (they are virtually the same size), other than the fact that the CH-R doesn't offer AWD. The Toyota Corolla Cross will directly compete when it comes out later this year.
I assume you meant Outlander Sport. I understand you "pretty much" qualifier, but in my mind the CH-R is a totally different class. Highly styled, Tarted up econobox and NOT AWD. Made in Turkey. It's a Toyota Turkey!

My wife would only consider the Outlander Sport in AWD. She has a challenging Winter commute
Actually she will likely not take my advice and tough this out. I will try to convince her that she can likely get $5k more for her
trade than she owes.

My wife loves Orange! Being from the Netherlands! I Don't go for Halloween colour combo though
My local dealer has ten in stock. Only 3 SE. Just White or Red. So white it is.
Now how do I obtain and get roof rails on this piglet? Tried source for a Base Forester earlier this year and had no luck.
My old 2014 SE came with them.
It had the sunroof and upgraded RF stereo- not sure why but were standard back then.
The RF stereo was the rage but to me it was ho-hum
My new one is an LE and I stole it from Green Bay Wi.- probably because of the color but I don't care

Mid 20s MPG? My wife's Outlander will get 32MPG with the cruise on 75 all day long, it has the 2.4.

The CVT programming sucks, but it is what it is.

My late wife's RAV4 was a 2010, it had 107K largely trouble free miles when I sold it after her death. I did OCI as long as 11.5K on M1EP and the motor was clean under the oil fill cap, I stuck a Costco remote camera in the fill hole to see what it looked like. On the other hand, I put Valvoline Maxlife ATF in it and it would flare shifts occasionally, perhaps switching back to the Toyota juice would have fixed that. It did like to eat batteries, went through 4 of them in 107K.

2.5 motor was smooth but pretty gutless. Would have preferred the V6. Mileage with the 2.5 was not that great, 24-25 in mixed driving. Had a friend with a V6 and it only did a couple MPG worse, but had way more power than the 2.5. My 2.5 only sniffed 30 on a flat highway doing 60-65.

The biggest issue with the car though was the relative lack of room for a 6'7" person. If you are over 6'4" or so, do not consider a Rav4. Or a CR-V for that matter, those stink for legroom also.

Probably the best midsize CUV for legroom was the prior gen Chevy Equinox, but they are not known for reliability.

The Outlander sport is a good car for 2010. Today not at all. Last I heard the CVTs did have issues as they got higher with miles. This was on the earlier cars.

the outlander sport is a pretty good econo package but I just can’t seem to find a purpose to own one. Soo many better options out there.

The Outlander sport is a good car for 2010. Today not at all. Last I heard the CVTs did have issues as they got higher with miles. This was on the earlier cars.

the outlander sport is a pretty good econo package but I just can’t seem to find a purpose to own one. Soo many better options out there.
You didn't look hard enough.

I suspect it will go the way of the Outlander and become a Nissan in a year or two. Probably a Qashqai/Rogue Sport a year or so after the new generation hits. I looked at the Outlander Sport years ago. It seemed ancient then.

I suspect it will go the way of the Outlander and become a Nissan in a year or two. Probably a Qashqai/Rogue Sport a year or so after the new generation hits. I looked at the Outlander Sport years ago. It seemed ancient then.
Years ago it was different.
I have had the best luxury cars out there and I don't feel like I'm riding in an ancient POS.
Most people that bash Mitsubishi have no experience with them.

No different than a Subaru .
The Outlander today can be ordered up with anything you want .

Thanks for such a detailed review. I would imagine it is not an expensive vehicle to own. Aside from low costs, I'm not a fan of a CVT, road noise, and there has to be good crash tests.

Outlander Sport Competes with The Nissan Rogue SPORT (Qashqai in other markets) and Subaru Impreza.
and horrendous Honda HR-V ( 4wd jacked up Honda Fit made in Mexico! )

It does not compete with Nissan Rogue or Toyota Rav 4 which are typically $7500- 10,000 pricier.

I could go to Danvers, MA and get a new Outlander Sport AWC for under $25,000. I'm my book thay are $21,000 out the door cars - but this was before the car "shortage"

That's why I bought the somewhat inferior but capable and comfortable Ford EcoSport for $16,800 out the door.
It's a CUV but AWD elevates it above a ecobox hatch which are insanely overpriced now. If you can find one!
I could sell my Ford for over 19K right now, but then what do I do?

Avis rented me a 2020 Outlander Sport with about 35K in Denver last week. Mrs. & I drove a CCW loop around the state, Telluride, Mesa Verde, Durango, CO Springs and back to Denver. Woefully under powered in the mountains, sloppy suspension, the AC temp was all over the place. I tried to pass a government vehicle with a trailer driving just below the 60 mph speed limit. Right foot down, and it got noisier, but not noticably faster. It did stop in a hurry when necessary, but it wasn't going very fast to begin with. Decent gas mileage. Not bad looking. But anyone who buys one with their own money, well I don't know what to say about that. I suppose tootling slowly around the suburbs it would be OK.

With but 148 HP in a two litre and near 4000 lbs laden, its going to be weak in the thin air and low ATM of mountain driving.
NA engines only fill with air by atmospheric air pressure - there is no such thing as sucking - its just a casual and incorrect observation.
Low air pressure = low cylinder pressure and fill = reduced power and torque. Not the cars fault, but possibly improper tool for the job.

Or alternatively, Americans just being spoiled with cheap gasoline and 2x overpowered vehicles!

Back