Obesity

I was mildly (in US standard) obese when I was in 3rd to 6th grade. I became very lean in my 11th grade when I move out of my home and live oversea as an exchange student in Virginia. Ironically the family I live with, the father was mildly obese at the time and my family back home in 3rd-6th grade was lean as heck. Obesity was not in my family history either.

I think a lot has to do with what environment you are in. I was also living with parents who didn't cook healthy (high fat, high sodium diet), and I was taking medication that has a side effect of weight gain. Despite climbing 10/F of stairs every day I was still obese. In a way I can see in the US that in the lower income neighborhood or certain cultural background, the diet can be comfort food with less regard to health, and kids grew up eating them, couldn't afford more nutritious food for the same comfort level (fries vs roast potatoes in air fryer, etc), or the quality vs quantity per dollar place the priority on fast foods that taste good instead of healthy.

Ah yes, bad things are happening because of people that are not me......

If all of us fat people stop being fat then companies that make junk food and diabetes drugs and mobility scooters and sweatpants and cardiologists will go bankrupt. The great recession brought on by the twinky bubble bursting means we will have to bail out big fructose and elastic.

There are a lot of FAT people out there. Don’t get me started on the two hippos that sat on either side of me on a recent flight across country.

Ive lifted weights and played sports my whole life. Don’t do it enough anymore (I love to swim). I remember being in high school… of course building big muscles was what it was all about… and I remember looking at a height/weight chart that characterized me as obese. Here I was, three varsity letter winner, avid weight lifter, decent shape for sure…. But the chart said I was obese.

People are smaller elsewhere. And there are a lot of very flabby people here. More so than elsewhere. But I don’t know that I trust the numbers…

I was mildly (in US standard) obese when I was in 3rd to 6th grade. I became very lean in my 11th grade when I move out of my home and live oversea as an exchange student in Virginia. Ironically the family I live with, the father was mildly obese at the time and my family back home in 3rd-6th grade was lean as heck. Obesity was not in my family history either.

I think a lot has to do with what environment you are in. I was also living with parents who didn't cook healthy (high fat, high sodium diet), and I was taking medication that has a side effect of weight gain. Despite climbing 10/F of stairs every day I was still obese. In a way I can see in the US that in the lower income neighborhood or certain cultural background, the diet can be comfort food with less regard to health, and kids grew up eating them, couldn't afford more nutritious food for the same comfort level (fries vs roast potatoes in air fryer, etc), or the quality vs quantity per dollar place the priority on fast foods that taste good instead of healthy.
I think the lack of access to healthy food thing is just a trick.

there’s nothing cheaper than raw food. Raw veggies are healthy and cheap. Cheaper than a quarter pounder. And I can buy hamburger and make one cheaper than at McDs. Of course I don’t get a garbage bun, salty fries or a sugar laden drink.

I stayed on an Indian reservation last summer. The reservation was larger than the state of Connecticut. It had nothing much there. You literally drove 50 miles or bought at a gas station. Sad. But there were still reasonable choices that were cheaper than fast or fried food.

I attribute it more to laziness. And lazy folks tend to do less of what? Activity….. exercise… labor…

Of course if you want to be a pawn in class warfare, go right ahead with how hard poor folks have it to get cheaper fresh foods. I live in a highly dense area, I’ve seen a lot of cities. It’s there. People just dont want to offend. And there is a real fraction of people with metabolic issues or injuries that affect their ability to do much… but that again Is a different story.

Not trying to make it sound like I know it all, because I definitely don't. I have no education in this topic, so it's just based off of my own observations and experiences.

I think where most people in this thread are confused is the correlation between what you eat, and obesity. In my opinion and experience, there is no correlation. It's about how much we eat about certain foods. Can be what is decidedly "healthy" or "unhealthy". Plenty of overweight people eating "healthy" foods their whole life, they just eat too much of it.

Your weight is decided by calories in vs. calories out. Eat more calories than what your specific body's maintenance level is, you'll gain weight. Eat less, you'll lose weight. By eating anything. McDonald's isn't making anyone fat. You can grill a burger at home that has more calories than a Big Mac. I think the problem here in the U.S. we have is our culture, we eat with our emotions. We eat with our habits. We eat based on who we are surrounded with and what the occasion is. And we finish our plates, but whats worse is going for seconds. Ordering that extra side. Eating ice cream after dinner.

In the past 14 months I've lost 108 pounds. Now I'm not saying I eat horribly, but it certainly isn't what many people would think is "healthy". I still eat all of my favorite foods, but it's in moderation. I can have fast food for dinner (and I actually did tonight) and still make it within my calorie deficit, or at least around my maintenance calories so that it won't make me gain anything.

What you eat is a topic that can be discussed about your health and life longevity. But I don't think it should be confused with it's impact on obesity.

However, this does come with a disclaimer that everyone's body is different. But this is for the vast majority of the public. If you have specific health problems, you may need to adjust what you eat as well to lose weight. But no matter what if you aren't in a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.

Not surprising when this country puts junk food and fast food cheaper and more convenient than healthy. Then companies charge more for healthy foods and give themselves a pat on the back for going back for putting normal, pronounceable ingredients in.
I don't think it's because it's convenient and cheap. Because it's really not. A lot of healthy food simply tastes like crap. And you're hungry again 15 minutes after you eat it. The fact is sugar, fat, salt, and carbs makes food taste good.

A Wendy's triple with a large order of fries, has some bowl of boiled and steamed green crap and rice from Panda Express, beat 11 ways to Sunday.

BMI is a TERRIBLE definition of fat.
That very well may be. But you're picking fly crap out of pepper. Do you, I, or anyone else really need a chart to define fat? Think about it. If someone tells you to sit next to the stupid guy, and there's 30 people in the room, who are you going to sit next to?

If that same person tells you to go and sit next to the fat guy, you'll know right where to go. Regardless if it's your business that he's fat or not. You'll know exactly where you're supposed to sit.

Last edited:
What makes this whole thing baffling is that the younger generations today have more access to healthy foods and information about diet and exercise than ever before. The technology is out there to measure your movements and calories burned.

Go back fifty years or more and most of us were eating meat and potatoes with the meat fried in bacon grease or lard. Yes we moved more back then but we exposed ourselves to a lot of things that are now banned.

The opportunity is there. If people don’t want to be healthy then they will suffer the circumstances.
I think that's the key. Today's kids lay around way too much. Back when I started driving in the 60's, you really had to be careful of kids on bicycles, and running out into the street. They were everywhere! Like an army of ants. On many side streets, you were crazy to attempt to even go the speed limit.

Today I rarely see kids on bikes, or running around playing ball or skateboarding. Or doing much of anything outdoors. They don't even go to the mall anymore. Most sit behind a monitor, cell phone, or an X-Box. About the only appendage on their bodies that moves, are their fingers on joysticks.

Every kid back then, including myself, was skinny as a rail. I don't remember having a single obese kid in any of my grammar school classes. Today these kids are all fat as hell. I see them waddling on and off the school buses every day I go into town. Boy's and girls alike.

We had no school busses. We WALKED. If you lived really far away, your parents drove you..... And even those guys walked home because their parents were working. Or else you rode your bike.

Exercise is sorely lacking today. Across the board. And I'm not talking about some big, cooked up, "physical education program". Just moving their butts from A to B.

And I think the youth needs it far more today than the elderly. (Who I see walking everywhere). The way they are going, they're not going to make it to elderly. Not if they're over 200 on the hoof before they get out of grammar school.

Last edited:
So much truth spoken regarding the lack of activity of today's youth.. Helicopter parents shutteling their kid(s) half a mile up the road to school and picking them up in the afternoon everyday. I see it everyday on my street, like a parade at 7:30 AM and 2:30 in the afternoon. Notice the traffic jams near a school in the morning and afternoon.

Take a look at kids when they return back to school after summer vacation ends, no tan. They have been sitting inside, all summer long.

Last edited:
Not only that, but half of the people in this country who currently have diabetes, don't even know it! In another 10 years there won't be a shortage of EV's..... Only dialysis machines. Covid is the least of our worries.

I regularly listen to a guy’s podcast that just had this happen to him. He ended up falling on some ice in the Texas ice storm which then prompted him to go to the hospital.

If not for the fall, who knows how it would’ve turned out.

I’m not sure if I changed or if quality went down after 2020, but going out to eat to the average places don’t do it for me. It actually makes me feel sick.

I can think of 5 places my wife and I enjoy.. 3 of which are on the pricier side so we don’t do it often. I do enjoy a good Big Mac but can’t tell you the last time I had one either.

Guys go out on Fridays at work and absolutely kill it at lunch and then have to come back and struggle the rest of the day. I stay behind and eat my “meal prep” chicken, rice, and green beans. Plus it saves me $10-15.

I was morbidly obese as a young adult and I knew it. I did not need anyone to tell me and I wasn't lazy. I accomplished more academically and personally as a morbidly obese young adult in my 20's than most people accomplish in their life times. That was a phase were I spent 12-18 hours per day 7 days per week x 11 years working on my education/training to the exclusion of my health. My father passed away suddenly, my mother was destitute, I was homeless during the time between college and dental school and most people are clinically depressed during training. When I was finished with my education that gave me time to work on my health. Now I'm pretty jacked and educated but at no point have I been "lazy".

I don't walk around looking at less educated people calling them out as being lazy and asking why they aren't making as much or contributing as much to society/pulling their own weight but I guess I could based on how people view obesity. For some reason people think they have some right to chime in on other people's lives. Life is messy and complex and people have their reasons and those reasons aren't really anyone else's business.

You were physically “ lazy” when you were younger…. That’s what he was really talking about there.

Not intellectually lazy…. Not lazy in school work… He was not talking about that.

That… Had to have been true right ???

At 6 for 5 for you to have heavy…. You had to have been over 270 pounds… maybe 3 Hundo plus…

I played basketball with a guy at the gym who was 6 ft 4 and 380 pounds. I had a lot of respect for big Eddie trying play basketball with us out there…. He played hard and that all I cared about. He was not physically lazy playing basketball with me.

Big Eddie and young freshman named Adam who has the coordination of a new born calf and some other guy and me pulled off one of the biggest upsets ever at that gym playing 4 on 4 basketball. We played to 11 counting by 1 point for each basket inside the 3 or line and 2 pts for shots hit behind the arc. We were down 7-3 and well I got super hot hitting 3 straight shots behind the 3 point line giving us a 9-7 lead. The other team scored two baskets to tie the game at 9. Then they miseee a shot and big Eddie got his hand on the basketball and knocked hard out to me. I was standing 27 feet from the basket and this was not my normal shooting range but I remember thinking “ it’s now or never”… Took that shot and boom it went in all net… Big Eddie, Adam and I celebrated like we just won the national championship game… Being perfectly candid the other team had 4 legit very good players… My team… 1 and that was me. I scored 9 of those 11 points to get us a win.

But big Eddie played hard… So did Adam and the other guy.

Again… I had a lot of respect for guys like big Eddie, Warren H who was BiG too aka 350 plus and my friend Casey 300 plus. Casey has that eel sweat that I made fun of him about.

And yes…. I got made fun of for being very thin 6 ft 2 and 159 pounds… It happened. Ohh well… life moves on.

But I became a bad mamma jamma playing basketball and later on playing volleyball…

But those guys all played hard. I enjoyed being out there with them.

Last edited:
So if you're ugly I can ugly shame you? But you can't control how ugly you are right? Sure you can! What if it's because you have a stupid haircut or beard or because you dress like a homeless person or whatever. What business is it of mine that you're ugly? What business it of mine that you don't measure up to my standards? But somehow someone being fat is your business?

Can I go around shaming people who are less successful? Less educated? Make less money? Have never traveled? Those were all just choices right and I think indications of their laziness, lack of good decision making, and lack of discipline. What about the burden these people place on me and society because they don't contribute what I think is their fair share in taxes? The answer is none of those things are my business just like someone being is fat is none of yours.

Whether you… or I or anyone else likes it or not…

Here in the real world….

WE ALL make observations and assessments of other people around us. Routinely…. Every single day…

I saw a super hot lady the other day at the store… She had some grey hair but she was gorgeous…. Probably in her mid to late 50s and she was stunningly beautiful.

I noticed a lady walking into a store the other day and could see trouble with her gait and knew she was having hip pain and I felt bad for her. It wasn’t super obvious but it was there if you know what you are seeing.

And yes I notice the heavy weight lazy people in the electric carts in the store too.

Now I don't go around saying untoward things to perfect strangers. That’s just being rude and nasty for no real reason.

I agree with you on that.

But don’t think I don’t notice or observe people. I do. And so do you. And everyone else does for that matter.

I see fat people, thin people, tall people, short people, beautiful women, ok looking women, some ugly women, good looking guys, ok looking guys, ugly looking guys, weirdo people who are just strange in appearance. I see stuck up snobby people, nasty people, nice people, good people every day too.

Calling a spade a spade is not unusual or a bad thing in my opinion. In fact it’s exceptionally normal.

If you show me a picture of a woman who is 5 ft 1 and 535 pounds…. I’m going to call her tremendously fat… Which… she was… When I was a student we had a patient who was exactly that short and that big. And… my snooty stuck up classmate ( which she was that too by the way ) had that lady has her patient that day. Needless to say I laughed to myself as I walked by that lady’s room and my snooty stuck up classmate was trying to give that lady a bath.

However what is not good or normal behavior is being nasty, rude and downright ugly to other people for no reason whatsoever. That is different all together.

Last edited:
Whether you… or I or anyone else likes it or not…

Here in the real world….

WE ALL make observations and assessments of other people around us. Routinely…. Every single day…

I saw a super hot lady the other day at the store… She had some grey hair but she was gorgeous…. Probably in her mid to late 50s and she was stunningly beautiful.

I noticed a lady walking into a store the other day and could see trouble with her gait and knew she was having hip pain and I felt bad for her. It wasn’t super obvious but it was there if you know what you are seeing.

And yes I notice the heavy weight lazy people in the electric carts in the store too.

Now I don't go around saying untoward things to perfect strangers. That’s just being rude and nasty for no real reason.

I agree with you on that.

But don’t think I don’t notice or observe people. I do. And so do you. And everyone else die that matter.

I see fat people, thin people, tall people, short people, beautiful women, ok looking women, some ugly women, good looking guys, ok looking guys, ugly looking guys, weirdo people who are just strange in appearance. I see stuck up snobby people, nasty people, nice people, good people every day too.

Calling a spade a spade is not unusual or a bad thing in my opinion. In fact it’s exceptionally normal.

What is not good or normal behavior is being nasty, rude and downright ugly to other people for no reason whatsoever. That is different all together.
Very true, and very well said!

Interesting to me that threads like this can go 6+ pages, people bickering, making fun of other people because of their physical appearance, calling them lazy, ridiculing people for their weight or diet choices.... hey no problem.

Some guy in his garage making videos for fun on Youtube pours some commercially available oily goop he bought at Autozone into an old lawnmower to see how it runs and the thread gets shut down at Mach 2 for being too controversial...

It all started with the "low fat diet".

"Avoid fat, eat carbs." They say.

No!

Death is sugar. Sugar and easily converted carbs are the absolute best serial killers in the world. Oh much better than any heinous dictator or communist central committee. The low fat diet is Dr approved. Doesn't get much better than that.

Eat meat and greens. Healthy fats, vegetables and a little fruit. If you don't lose weight and feel better, something else is wrong with you.

It all started with the "low fat diet".

"Avoid fat, eat carbs." They say.

No!

Death is sugar. Sugar and easily converted carbs are the absolute best serial killers in the world. Oh much better than any heinous dictator or communist central committee. The low fat diet is Dr approved. Doesn't get much better than that.

Eat meat and greens. Healthy fats, vegetables and a little fruit. If you don't lose weight and feel better, something else is wrong with you.
Great reply! Sugar loaded and carbohydrate loaded foods are contributing factors to obesity. Cut back on bread, potatoes, rice, sugar loaded drinks, fruit juices, breakfast cereals, etc., and the weight will come off. Reducing salt intake helps too.

Back