More convenient way to toss a salad for one serving.

For a few months I’ve been buying the 1 pound tubs of washed spring mix and try to have a salad every day. The main problem has been mixing the ingredients uniformly. I like to add tomato, red onion, cheese like feta or shaved parm, plus the dressing. If I try to mix it on the plate, half of it ends up on the floor. If I use one of those large bowls to mix everything, it’s something else to clean up every day.

Found a better way. I still have a few of the small tubs the salad comes in from when I didn’t eat that much of it. I throw everything into that and attach the snap on lid. Shake shake shake. Comes out perfectly mixed and no need for a separate serving plate. My question is about clean up.

After consumption, I rinse the tub and lid under hot water. It gets it pretty clean, but since some of the dressing is oil based, not perfectly clean. I store the rinsed tub in the fridge until I use it again the next day. Any problem with that routine? No harmful germs would grow on oil residue in the tub while in the refrigerator? Haven’t gotten sick yet as far as I know.

IMG_2110a.jpg

atikovi

What are the ingredients in that salad? I see red onions and tomatoes; what are the other items?

Tupperware bowl w lid for mixing/coating the salad. Since you’re already rinsing it with hot water, why not squirt a few drops of dish detergent and wash it properly? Rinse and Towel dry then store it in the cabinet.
question is about clean up.
I’m more than likely missing something but still……… :oops:

How about put the ingredients in a plastic bag, shake it real good and put portions at a time on your plate. Just an idea but I’ve seen that done before.

How about put the ingredients in a plastic bag, shake it real good and put portions at a time on your plate. Just an idea but I’ve seen that done before.
1) Washing out a plastic bag would be twice as difficult as rinsing out a hard plastic tub.
2) I'd have to dump the contents out on to a plate which would be an additional thing to clean.

1) Washing out a plastic bag would be twice as difficult as rinsing out a hard plastic tub.
2) I'd have to dump the contents out on to a plate which would be an additional thing to clean.
I’d just get a new bag each time. But I can see if doing it everyday then that would be costly in the long run.

I just use a larger bowl to eat out of. Corelle Ware has them. I generally have lettuce ( not the bag stuff) white onions, shredded cheese, green olives and the dressing. Mix it with the fork and eat it from the same bowl.

My salad bowl is the bowl I use to make my daily oatmeal. It is a early 60's pyrex 1 1/2qt . The larger bowl doesnt allow the oatmeal to spill. and it is perfect for a single salad too :cool:

Back