Mom's 2012 Camry Trans service

My mom's Camry has almost 100k and she had her guy check it out and he says the trans fluid looks dirty. My question is should I do the exchange myself where I unhook the trans line and run till gurgle and refill? I understand hoe the no dipstick "diptube" works but it sounds like a pain to get the level back again. Suggestions? Dealer? Thanks in advance and yes I plan on doing the filter after a couple of these.

I don't remember how to do these; there should be videos and maybe even a how-to on a Camry forum. There's a video from Weber University that may shed light.

If I had 100k I would do a pain drain, then refill, then pull the cooling line and do a full exchange until the ATF ran clear. Bit of a pain to get level correct; car needs to be reasonably level but you have to be underneath at the same time, so it's gotta be up in the air, then at the right temperature to pull the plug.

Depending on your background it may well be easier to let the dealer do this, if the price isn't bad. No idea but it's probably what $200-300? Seems like "too much" for a few quarts of oil but I am pretty sure I killed an afternoon doing it on my much easier to access truck, where I didn't need to raise it up, and I didn't bother with changing the filter (I did a few years ago and IIRC it's not really a filter but more of a strainer; it's only ever gotten light usage since).

I would not sweat the fluid color too much: almost every thread about Toyota WS fluid has complaints about it looking awful. It seems to change color fast. It may well be due, I'm not saying otherwise, just that you shouldn't assume the worst just because the fluid looks dark.

I’d have the dealer service it since they should be the most familiar with it. The dealer here uses the BG exchange machine and runs 12 quarts through the trans. Repeat every 60k and runs about 250. Had this done on our 12 Camry a few mos ago. At least there’s no ps fluid to replace and the other fluids are easy enough to change. Being around 9 yrs old it’s time to replace.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Camry. I drain the fluid from the drain plug, measure it, and then replace with same volume of fluid. I think that is the most foolproof way. I don't worry about the filter. It will go to car heaven with the factory filter.

I have a 2015 Camry. I drain the fluid from the drain plug, measure it, and then replace with same volume of fluid. I think that is the most foolproof way. I don't worry about the filter. It will go to car heaven with the factory filter.

This. Do the job when the car is cold, like first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting overnight :)

A lot of Youtube video on this on different Toyota car/truck models and it is about the same.

Just check it out and watch a few of them, not necessarily have to be a Camry.
Some video is better than other, some include where/which return line should be unhook, some better in showing how to get the correct fluid level.

My mom's Camry has almost 100k and she had her guy check it out and he says the trans fluid looks dirty. My question is should I do the exchange myself where I unhook the trans line and run till gurgle and refill? I understand hoe the no dipstick "diptube" works but it sounds like a pain to get the level back again. Suggestions? Dealer? Thanks in advance and yes I plan on doing the filter after a couple of these.
No need to service that tranny it’s fill 4 life . Toyota WS fluid is build for extended drains

I recommend doing a filter and fluid change, then a drain and fill at each oil change moving forward.

I’d have the dealer service it since they should be the most familiar with it. The dealer here uses the BG exchange machine and runs 12 quarts through the trans. Repeat every 60k and runs about 250. Had this done on our 12 Camry a few mos ago. At least there’s no ps fluid to replace and the other fluids are easy enough to change. Being around 9 yrs old it’s time to replace.
This is exactly what I did on my '12 a year ago with 60k on it. They charged ~$180, I think, and were done pretty fast. I'll probably do it again in a few years. Most other shops didn't want to touch it or said it didn't need to be done.

Its not a PITA to get the correct level. You need a cold transmission to start with... and a method to check the ATF temperature(scantool)... Another method is the jumper wire tool(explained on various Toyota forums). The jumper wire takes the place of the SST that puts the vehicle in a transmission temperature check mode.

Since it is at 100k miles, I would drop the pan, clean the magnets, and add the additional 2 magnets if you only have two(need 4 magnets now). would source a Toyota ATF filter kit(gasket/oring/filter/plug washer).... Invest in a quality torque wrench and torque the filter and verify all VB nuts/bolts. Then torque the ATF pan. Refill and continue driving. If all is well, consider another drain/refill or 2 of the pan. Or, perform a 1-2 gallon cooler line flush.

Only perform a cooler line flush if you're competent and have a 2nd person for engine start/stop duties.

Back