"Paper" ATF filter - do I really need to get it changed?

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

There is no need to change the filter. You never need to drop the pan. One fluid change every 60k miles/100k km is enough.

Most cars never have the transmission fluid changed and go to the junkyard on the factory fill. Almost nobody ever changed the ATF even before so-called lifetime fluid existed :D
Those vehicles sitting in a junkyard with their factory fill most likely do not have many miles on them either.

Currently I've changed the CVT fluid over 25 times since I've had the Accord. The more you change the less likely you are to have a lot of metal shavings and parts swimming around. I would think the best thing to do would be to start early in the transmissions life of replacing the fluid more often so that after everything kind of settles down in the wear rates you won't be worried about overloading the filter with debris. With that said, I am due for a service where we're going to completely change all the filters because I'm dropping the pan and we're doing that to completely go over to a better performing fluid. If you plan on keeping the car a long time and you feel like there may be some stuff that's loaded up in the filter I think it's cheap insurance to at least replace those filters regardless of the material. If you didn't want and then from then on out you keep your intervals of service at a lower rate I think you could leave it as is and not have to change the filter probably for the rest of the car's life. I'm currently at 250,000 miles and the only saving grace I have had is the abundance of caution and changing transmission fluid every 10 to 15,000 miles

Thank you to all replies above, great points made for and against changing the filter out!

The car is in excellent shape, so i would like to hold on to it for a while. I will likely do another drain and fill at 160k KM (100k miles) and maybe a pan drop + extra magnets at 220k KM. I will be synthetic Dex VI (Pennzoil Platinum Dex VI or Supertech Dex VI) for these changes.

i changed my transmission filter, it was a single thin layer of fiber of some sort, and would catch any big particles but didn't seem to be a very fine filter (i think it would let very fine power through) nothing was caught in it but it was black as sin so I changed it anyway.

Back