"Paper" ATF filter - do I really need to get it changed?

Hello BITOG,

I have been a long time lurker but finally decided to register. I have a question regarding servicing the transmission filter, specifically the "paper/felt" material filter module inside the pan of a Toyota-Aisin U660 6 speed transmission on a 2014 Toyota Camry V6. This is commonly used in Toyota Camry V6s, Siennas and the like.

I did one "fluid exchange" at the dealer at around 100,000 KM (60k miles), and one drain and fill at around 120k KM (I didn't trust the dealer actually did the work in hindsight). For my DnF, I used a mix of Pennzoil Platinum Dex VI and SuperTech Dex VI (5:1 ratio). I am a firm believer of no-such-thing-as-lifetime-fluid, but not so sure about a lifetime paper trans filter.....

My main concern is, the pan still has its original seal and is bone dry after all these years. I do not want to fix something that isn't broken, so cracking open that seal just to replace the trans filter may not be worth it if it may cause leaks down the line. Should i wait for the pan to start leaking and do the pan drop, or should i do it regardless at the next opportunity (likely 200,000km, 124k miles).

Thanks in advance!

I would have the pan dropped and fluid and filter replaced soon. I personally change fluid and filter every 25,000 miles regardless of manufacturer recommendations because as they say many of the fluids are for the life of the transmission, trans dies, there's it life. You cannot over maintain an automatic transmission on any vehicle. Try to save a penny lose lots of dollars. Fluid changes and keeping it cool will give the best shot at a long life.

Last edited:
The filter is important to change too. As it becomes loaded, the transmission will slowly become starved for lubrication over time or may just stop functioning. At that point it's probably too late. A pan can always be resealed with a gasket or sealant. That's no reason not to service the transmission.

Does anybody know anything about the "paper-felt" material itself?

The gauze I've seen in trannie filters I've opened, look the part of 'rock catcher'.
Has anyone here even seen a sample of in service paper-felt?

The old 1985 Ford E-350 motorhome that I own just has a screen. The filtering in these transmissions was pretty much non existent. If that screen was stopping anything, you would have severe problems.

I done a pan drop & filter change on a 2018 F150, and they have a much better filter.
At least the new ones are designed to catch some material.

I will probably send in another sample for analysis again in 60, - 100,000 kilometers, and probably just suction the oil out and refill.
There was very little material in the filter, and on the magnet.

I think the first filter change would have caught most of the initial wear material from break in.
But if wear material are higher than my first analysis, I might drop the pan again.

The filter in a Chevy 6-L90 transmission is real, and not meerly a “rock catcher” Having said that, if the transmission is in good shape there will be almost nothing in it but, it will catch a few shreds of metal. It the torque converter piles up it will be full and probably too late to save the transmission.

Does anybody know anything about the "paper-felt" material itself?

The gauze I've seen in trannie filters I've opened, look the part of 'rock catcher'.
Has anyone here even seen a sample of in service paper-felt?
5d83b7a5dc08715ca2b2abf6_515795_z-p-500.png

This is a picture of the filter i found from Raybestos's website. I can confirm this is not a metal mesh strainer type filter, which is my main source of worry. If it indeed as paper/felt, that stuff can breakdown over time and clog sensitive passages. Trans itself seems to be shifting fine for now.

You can overthink this.

Transmission maintenance is dropping the pan, looking at what's at the bottom of the pan, and stuck to the magnets. This is what will tell you what is happening in the transmission and what problems could be developing.

Larger particles that for a large part aren't magnetic is what ends up in the coarse paper filter. Flow will reduce over time, which will also impact operation. And the pan is off anyways, and it ships with the transmission pan gasket. Is it still a question?

The old 1985 Ford E-350 motorhome that I own just has a screen. The filtering in these transmissions was pretty much non existent. If that screen was stopping anything, you would have severe problems.

I done a pan drop & filter change on a 2018 F150, and they have a much better filter.
At least the new ones are designed to catch some material.

I will probably send in another sample for analysis again in 60, - 100,000 kilometers, and probably just suction the oil out and refill.
There was very little material in the filter, and on the magnet.

I think the first filter change would have caught most of the initial wear material from break in.
But if wear material are higher than my first analysis, I might drop the pan again.
Ford C6 transmissions and filter screens haven't been around in a very long time. Most transmissions now use a fabric type filter that needs periodic replacement and a debris catching magnet in the pan which needs cleaning..

I'd replace that filter. Don't be so concerned that the original pan gasket seal integrity can't be done again, it can and if you use a OEM gasket and some sense you'll be fine.

5d83b7a5dc08715ca2b2abf6_515795_z-p-500.png

This is a picture of the filter i found from Raybestos's website. I can confirm this is not a metal mesh strainer type filter, which is my main source of worry. If it indeed as paper/felt, that stuff can breakdown over time and clog sensitive passages. Trans itself seems to be shifting fine for now.
My U660F has over 200k kilometers, just look at my signature. The pan has never been off, regular drain and fills is all it gets. Furthermore, this transaxle used to have a harsh 1-2 upshift when cold when we first got it(75k kilometers), it's no longer there.

When I had Sienna I changed it.
Funny story is that parts guy at the Toyota dealership said: that part doesn’t exist on that transmission.
After trying to convince him, and him saying “you should leave it to our experts,” I ordered it from New Jersey!
I had a Lexus dealership parts guy tell me a similar thing.

I wanted a filter for the A650E in the LS. He said they don't even stock the filter. Transmission service was just a fluid exchange; they don't bother with dropping the pan and changing the filter. "It's just a screen anyway..."

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

There is no need to change the filter. You never need to drop the pan. One fluid change every 60k miles/100k km is enough.

Most cars never have the transmission fluid changed and go to the junkyard on the factory fill. Almost nobody ever changed the ATF even before so-called lifetime fluid existed :D

There is no need to change the filter. You never need to drop the pan. One fluid change every 60k miles/100k km is enough.

Most cars never have the transmission fluid changed and go to the junkyard on the factory fill. Almost nobody ever changed the ATF even before so-called lifetime fluid existed :D
+1

Paper filters are stronger than you think. Even the Chrysler 62TE, which is nothing special, doesn't recommend a filter change until 192k kilometers under "normal" usage. I maintained a 2011? , it went to the scrap yard with the original trans. filter a couple of years ago after the head gasket blew (over 200k kms), all I did was an ATF change at 100k kms, with MaxLife Dex/Merc.

⬆️

The perfect storm and no issues :unsure:

Last edited:
Back