2010 Crown Victoria 113k miles atf service

I have a 2010 Crown Vic P7B (interceptor package) with around 113k miles on the clock, the trans fluid appears to have been maintained being that it doesn’t appear dark on the dipstick, looks fairly fresh, and the trans shifts firm. I believe this is the 4R75E transmission and with that said i plan to do 3 drain and fills with motorcraft Mercon LV fluid, the first fill I’ll be replacing the fluid filter and the oil pan with one that has a drain plug for future drains, after I do this I thought of switching over to amsoil atf and maybe lubegard red or platinum or not depends on what everyone thinks I should go with thanks in advance

If your car has a dipstick, get a Mityvac. That'll likely pull as much as a pan drop. Do several intervals of those, and by around the 5th (or sometime in the 1-5 spill and fill), drop the pan and replace the filter. At 5 intervals, you'll have approximately 80% new fluid.
I've read that aftermarket drain plugs sometimes don't work very well. The value of a Mityvac is that it's $100 and works for many vehicles, many fluids, and a lot less messy, no need to get under the car, etc.

If your car has a dipstick, get a Mityvac. That'll likely pull as much as a pan drop. Do several intervals of those, and by around the 5th (or sometime in the 1-5 spill and fill), drop the pan and replace the filter. At 5 intervals, you'll have approximately 80% new fluid.
I've read that aftermarket drain plugs sometimes don't work very well. The value of a Mityvac is that it's $100 and works for many vehicles, many fluids, and a lot less messy, no need to get under the car, etc.
I’d like to use a mityvac but I still gota drop the pain to change out the filter and I’m replacing it with uhaul van pan that came factory with a drain plug

I’d like to use a mityvac but I still gota drop the pain to change out the filter and I’m replacing it with uhaul van pan that came factory with a drain plug
I did the same on my 2006 Grand Marquis with 100k last year... found the yellow factory "bobber" in the pan... and a pretty dirty magnet... it had never been cracked open since it left the factory. Changed the filter (make sure you get the old orange o ring out) and the new pan bolted on perfectly.

To be honest, I thought I would use the transmission drain plug more than I do... but @CharlesInCharge is right... the MityVac is so easy and convenient I find myself using it instead of the drain plug...

Just my opinion, if you have easily accessible return lines, drain and fill procedure would be the least ideal.

A passive flush would remove all fluid from the torque convertor and transmission in less than 30 minutes, save you time, and money.

All you have to do is drain the pan, clean the magnet, change the filter, add fresh atf, disconnect return line (connect a hose into a pan or bucket), run the car for 2 to 3 seconds, turn off car, check the atf, add more , repeat until fluid looks fresh, and then adjust ATF level.

Low risk and you will be assured the ATF is at least 98% new, you are not attaching a flushing machine, it is passive.

Did it with the 2013 camry, I do not regret it.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Amsoil, but there really isn't that much benefit over licensed Mercon LV or even Maxlife

Forget the Mityvac. It's a good way to scatter any debris inside where it will do more harm. You have a good plan going with an drain plug equiped pan, a couple repeated drains, Motorcraft ( or any licensed ) Mercon LV fluid and I would not use any Lubeguard since you stated the transmission shifts good. I used a Motorcraft filter and an ATP oil pan on my 4R70W transmission. It was slightly deeper than the original and added almost an extra quart of fluid capacity. The OEM gasket should be reusable.

Thanks for all the replies I’m thinking I’ll skip the lubegard if it serves no purpose, I know I could use any mercon rated ATF but I think I’m going to spend a little extra and use either the Amsoil ATF or even the HPL Green ATF probably excessive and will reap me no benefits but then again I plan on doing some work to the car this summer in an attempt to go from the 250 hp range to 300 hp

Back