RAV 4, Trans fluid check/change?

I just purchased a 2021 Toyota RAV 4 with 30k miles on it. We are planning a road trip to CO and back this fall. About 3k miles there and back alone, plus whatever driving around we do while there.
Being an OCD BITOG kind of guy, I wanted to change the trans fluid and filter before we left.
I was disappointed to see there is no dipstick on this thing. Sigh. Just like my 04 Explorer.
So, is there a way for us common-folk to check the fluid on this? Replace filter and fluid?
(The dealer just serviced the vehicle, so I want to drain the 0W-16 before we leave too and put some 0W-20 in :cool: ).

Its the typical Toyota 2 piece plug, where you drain, then refill, then leave the first plug in and warm the car to a very specific temperature and let it drain until it stops dripping. There are some youtube videos, and from what I have read its not difficult but the hard part is getting the car completely level and hitting the exact temperature.

I haven't done mine yet. I am contemplating doing it by weight, but I haven't found anyone that has done it that way yet?

Leave in the 0W16 since it was just put in by your dealer(providing 0W16 is the required oil).
Otherwise there is no reason to change that to 0W20 at this time. If the dealer put in the wrong oil, have them change it to satisfy you.

YES, there is a procedure on checking the tranny fluid on your RAV4. YouTube is your friend on the exact procedure for checking and doing a complete drain & refill.

Also, see the “CarCareNut” YouTube channel on Toyota auto tranny fluid changes…When and when not(miles & years) to change the ATF & Why!

Leave in the 0W16 since it was just put in by your dealer(providing 0W16 is the required oil).
Otherwise there is no reason to change that to 0W20 at this time. If the dealer put in the wrong oil, have them change it to satisfy you.

YES, there is a procedure on checking the tranny fluid on your RAV4. YouTube is your friend on the exact procedure for checking and doing a complete drain & refill.

Also, see the “CarCareNut” YouTube channel on Toyota auto tranny fluid changes…When and when not(miles & years) to change the ATF & Why!
Hey, be happy I was only putting 0W-20 back in, I really wanted to put 5W-30 in.

Your engine calls for 0w16 so leave it in there. If you want fact vs conecture, take a sample the oil for a UOA and learn more about what they put in.

Same with the trans fluid, its just fine. Dont touch it unless you know what you are doing. Take a sample and learn before and after.

Looks like the 2019+ are pretty to easy to drain/fill. They have the standard 10mm hex drain plug, then a 6mm hex riser tube threaded up the hole you need to remove to get "all" the fluid out.

You can measure what you drain out and then refill that amount from a port through the front right wheel well.

Or the Toyota way, which would be much more involved and expensive as you'd expect.

Your engine calls for 0w16 so leave it in there. If you want fact vs conecture, take a sample the oil for a UOA and learn more about what they put in.

Same with the trans fluid, its just fine. Dont touch it unless you know what you are doing. Take a sample and learn before and after.
You can't fool me. I've been on BITOG long enough to know that if I try to take that thing on the interstate with 0W-16 in the sump, the engine will explode.

Okay, we got a bit sidetracked from my original question.
For Ford stuff on YouTube, Ford Tech Makuloco is my go-to guy. I never have any question that his stuff is accurate and trustworthy.
Is there any way for us knuckle-draggers to get a copy of the actual Toyota procedure?
And/or is there a Toyota technician / version of Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube?

Okay, we got a bit sidetracked from my original question.
For Ford stuff on YouTube, Ford Tech Makuloco is my go-to guy. I never have any question that his stuff is accurate and trustworthy.
Is there any way for us knuckle-draggers to get a copy of the actual Toyota procedure?
And/or is there a Toyota technician / version of Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube?
See:

Back