Molybdenum, Cam wear and Hemi tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be a tech curmudgeon, a spell check won't tell the difference between "seam" and "seem" since both are spelled correctly.
wink.gif
I say we rely too heavily on spell checkers!

Off topic, but we can't complain too bad here. Look how many actual newspapers, let alone general media sites, where clearly only a spell check was used, and no one actually read the article before it was posted.
wink.gif

True. I grew up during the 50's and 60's, into the 70's. You never saw a misspelled word in a newspaper or a magazine. Commercial billboards were the same. Nowadays, I see the errors everywhere. Grammar in general has slid as well. The lack of statesmen may be the result of that. The general consensus is , that's good enough.

Technology has led us to think it will help us and correct us. I'm waiting for the news of a tailgate accident and the driver will blame it on the autonomous braking system saying it didn't work. Even with these nannies in place today in new cars, I am still the driver and I'm the one responsible.

This thread started out as another infomercial for Redline oil as I saw it. There are some interesting points though. While moly is a proven anti-friction component, it is not the only one. I would like to see these hemi engines run on moly and after a good chunk of miles or kilometers, torn down to compare with non-moly engines. Does the moly just mask the sound? The jury may still be out on that.

Originally Posted By: burla
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Are you sure the follower isnt the problem, the bearings in the roller sometimes fail, then the roller sticks, and ruins the lobe?

Any causation relative to certain years,MDS vs non-MDS?

so besides redline, what other hi moly oils are folks using, and if given enough time using Redline, will the cam still fail?

I was the first to have redline 5w20 end my lifter tick, it has been gone for 4 years plus, followed by uoa's all along the way. Most are mds, but some of the 2500's are having ticks as well. I guess it could be roller bearings, as all of this time and we still do not have a definitive answer on hemi tick, just that 16 guys hemi tick is a thing of the past. I'm not sure why redline would have prevented the rollers from ticking after they started ticking, as opposed to the walls the lifter slides up on.
Maybe it's the moly or maybe it's the increased viscosity of Redline as it is thicker than most oils. In any case it is just masking the tick. May help some.

Issues like these (though few and far between) reassure me that my mantra of "some moly good, more moly better" is helping to keep my antique engine alive and performing correctly.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Issues like these (though few and far between) reassure me that my mantra of "some moly good, more moly better" is helping to keep my antique engine alive and performing correctly.

You are referring to your 1982 VW as a antique? I'm getting old I guess.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This thread started out as another infomercial for Redline oil as I saw it. There are some interesting points though. While moly is a proven anti-friction component, it is not the only one. I would like to see these hemi engines run on moly and after a good chunk of miles or kilometers, torn down to compare with non-moly engines. Does the moly just mask the sound? The jury may still be out on that.

Yes, there are definitely many things to consider. Is Red Line the only "cure" out there? Or, is it masking, as you ask? Is it the moly? Is it the base stock? Is it the HTHS? Is it some combination of these things? Red Line is a pretty different animal all around, not just with respect to moly levels, which adds a bunch of variables to the mix.

Originally Posted By: Olas

You are referring to your 1982 VW as a antique? I'm getting old I guess.

It's older than I am, and the oldest thing I see on the road on a daily basis.

Hey big thanks to all those who contributed to this thread by pointing out spelling errors! You guys are a special kind of awesome.

I can not only speak for myself but everyone else, we sure wish we could have solved this with just about any other oil then redline, as it hurts the pocket book. After doing this for 5 years I have come to the realization we will never have the answers, only that generally speaking redline is a tick killer for whatever reason and for whatever that is worth. We have out first guy at bob's who is trying it, we will see if he actually does it and if he actually reports it. These are the types of things we are up against with our control group. I doubt it will ever be some great scientific standard, just a puzzle with a couple pieces missing. One thing is for sure, every sucker who shelled out 50k for a truck that sounds like a sewing machine within the first 10k miles, shouldn't have to live with that garbage. In a perfect world, the warranty would carry the day, but more often then not, the many says that knocking sound is perfectly normal when they know dang well it is not. Knocking sounds are never normal, if it is the lifters knocking, you have a real problem downstream. Don't take my word for it, look at the sticky on the other board. Massive cam fails with this tick garbage. This is an oil forum not a correct bad English forum or mechanics forum or whatever else people want to lower this too. But there is enough info here to help someone searching for it.

While you all were sitting there all upright in English class with your lil bow ties on, I was wrenching on cars and waiting to get my lessons from your school teacher out of the classroom, feel me? Too funny, get schooled on spelling in an oil forum, you guys are far from what God meant you to be. Crab a wrench or a torch or something, put the key board down and live a little.

"Favorite Oil PUP & Redline- Favorite filter RP- favorite coolant additive RMI25- boy it would be nice if I could find even 1 of these locally."
You can't just drive down to Benicia and pick up some Redline?
smile.gif

Mr. Burla,
Serious question. I am a big Redline fan. My only concern with these new engines, is Redline's additive package affecting the catalytic converter.
Has anyone on these Hemi boards looked at this aspect of using Redline in thier Hemi's?

While you all were sitting there all upright in English class with your lil bow ties on, I was wrenching on cars and waiting to get my lessons from your school teacher out of the classroom, feel me? Too funny, get schooled on spelling in an oil forum, you guys are far from what God meant you to be. Crab a wrench or a torch or something, put the key board down and live a little.

Eye no, write??

We had a wrestling coach who liked to give lessons like that, luckily he finally (and stupidly) tried it with a kid who too big for him and wasn't too ashamed to go to the cops after he kicked coach's hindquarters up to the vicinity of his cranium.

It should not be either/or, you can have both.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Mr. Burla,
Serious question. I am a big Redline fan. My only concern with these new engines, is Redline's additive package affecting the catalytic converter.
Has anyone on these Hemi boards looked at this aspect of using Redline in thier Hemi's?

We thought about this and yes this is a reported risk, although I have never actually heard of a Cat gumming up with 1200ppm zddp. If it happens a Cat is like less then 100 bucks, compared to a wiped out Cam which will wipe out the kids college fund where they can really learn how to spell good like these other geniuses. It is i before e except after c though
smile.gif

There may be other risks as well, that high moly adds sulfur to the engine and soft metals can wear as well. The copper numbers on the uoa's tend to be higher then some other oils like PUP, but in my uneducated opinion all that pales in comparison to having an engine that is knocking.

I also cut open all my filters ever oil change and post them up. There has been nothing in the filters that would worry me. I find the synthetic filters are necessary to match the long interval I am on. I will never use paper media again unless I am on a 3 month oci, which would be a waste with redline.

I have noticed if mine sits for a week or so I'll get a light tick when it starts but goes away and doesn't do it again. If I run Mos2 with the OCI it doesn't do it. I've used different filters and I will say it did it more with a Fram Ultra. Currently using a Wix Xp. Current OC is Amsoil XL 5w30. Did it once this summer with the Wix so I added Mos2 and it has set all week due to the flooding here, just started it and smooth as silk.

I used to use Amsoil SS but can't remember if it still did it with the additional Moly.

Like I said only does it after long periods of time without running. Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back