Mobile versus Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
bowdown.gif
Chevron and Havoline
bowdown.gif

In fleet use we are switching from Mobil 1 to Chevron Supreme Synthetic and with a half million miles on the first cars switched over and so far, things are doing fine, for a lot less $$$. The long oil drain service was 12k miles with Mobil 1 and the service is now 10k miles with Chevron. Even if we had continued with Mobil 1 we would have reduced the interval to 10k miles. We are also adding a Chevron additive, now, to the oil at 5k miles that appears to be very much like LC. The problem in fleet use with longer intervals is that no oil keeps the engine clean enough for the 100k mile run, at least to maintain the fleet standards required. We are going to install some bypass filters, use a full flow filter that really flows well and probably go to LC doses on some test vehicles. The only problem is to get the drivers to really put the LC in as required. There has to be a better way to handle that part, something that does not involve the driver. But to answer the question, is Chevron oil good...for the price it is an excellent oil, as good or better than many oil that cost a lot more. And their synthetic has replaced Mobil 1 with equal or improved numbers in analysis for less money, again making the synthetic a good buy. The primary reason for the switch was the cost of oil and the secondary reason was valve train wear. So far we are experiencing no valve train wear problems with the new oil and no one is talking switching back, even though the Mobil dealer is now talking a better deal. Both Mobil 1 and Chevron Supreme Synthetic oils are better than conventional oil but the choice finally came down to cost. Most of the Mobil 1 cars did fine and the problems were on less that 5%.

quote:

"the three wts SM 5w30 & 10w30 and SL 10w40 no longer sport the Iso-Syn logo"

Hmm, I just went to the garage to check the SM 5W30 Cheveron Supreme I have. There is still this "Iso-Syn" logo on the bottles and the case. I bought them in July (2 cases) and September (2 cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back