Mobile versus Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I used Mobile products in my wife's 03' Isuzu Rodeo only to be disappointed by the amount of oil consumption that came from a supposedly excellent oil...

I started off with Mobile conventional oils..First it was the 10W30 drive clean for 2 OCI's and it got consumed both times about 1 quart within 3,000 miles.

Then tried the Mobile 5,000..Still consumed about 1 quart.

Then went to M1 synthetic 10W30...Still consumed it...M1 synthetic EP 10W30..Consumed.

Went to M1 15W50 synthetic for the summer at about $30 for 5 quarts..Still consumed about 1/4 quart per 1,000 miles...

So I would have to buy an extra $6 quart of oil just maintain proper oil level....Instead of 5 quarts per oil change I needed 6 when I used M1.

Then the switch to Chevron products

It was still summertime so I drained the M1 15W50 EP and put in some Delo 400 15w40 at only $9.36 for 5 quarts which works out to $1.87 per quart...Much cheaper than the M1.

Instantly the consumption stopped with the Chevron Delo 400 and the car was quieter too...I posted on here and many thought it was because of the heavier oil...The M1 15W50 didn't stop it, it was heavy and a full synthetic as well. But the Delo was able to resist consumption!!!

I recently drained the Delo 400 15W40 and put in some Chevron Supreme 10W30 and I checked the oil at just over 1,000 miles the other day and still zero consumption.Even with the lighter weight oil....The oil level on the dipstick is in the same spot it was on the day I changed it...

I'm very happy with Chevron products..Now I don't have to constantly add oil...And from the looks of the excellent uoa's on here I know it's gotta be an excellent oil.

Mobile, Alabama or Mobil 1?

Cheveron and Havoline are a better value right now I believe.

If you have a Sam's Club by you, you can pick up Delo 15w40 by the case. My Sam's Club usually has a pallet or two of it.

edit-I think 6 gallons come in the case.

Chevron/Havoline oils I think are the best bang for your oil buck...I have 2 cases of Delo 15w40 sitting in the garage used mainly for the 190E as summer fill.

Btw, I'm trying to find a VOA on the new SM Chevron Supremes in the 10w30s or 40s..tried the search feature and only found Havoline 5w20 SM if I remember correctly. Anyone have any info?..

Also, I went to my nearest Kragens earlier today and double checked these newly bottled 07/05 Supremes(planning to cash in $0.49/qt net Chev Supreme coupon)..the three wts SM 5w30 & 10w30 and SL 10w40 no longer sport the Iso-Syn logo. Checked the cartons and nada on the logos as well...This confirms the other non Iso-Syns bottles on two other Kragens I visited last week. What gives?
dunno.gif

[ October 18, 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

I've always like Chevron oils. I used them in my TDI for 115k miles and had no usage. However, your Rodeo engine is a notorious oil user. The amounts your talking about, most people would be happy with. I'm glad you're getting the results you are and I hope it continues.
I'm glad you posted. I've been using M1 10-30 in our '02 Rodeo and burning about 1-1.5qts/5000mi. I can live with that. The manual calls for 10w30 I believe and I don't want to do anything to allow Isuzu an out on an engine warranty claim- it has the 10yr/120 powertrain warranty. I may try some Chevron, I'll research and see what they're selling now.

Yup you will find Chevron products are one of the very best large companys that make good lubes,next to the Conoco Family which is also good,,,,,sometimes other brands are not as good as these given,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

Yeah, I've heard the same about Isuzu's using oil...The Isuzu engine can really find out which oils are more resistant to consumption...

So far just regular old Chevron Supreme 10W30 SM dino oil has held up better than Mobil synthetics...

It'll be interesting to see if your Isuzu will have similar results with Chevron Supreme.

Are you guys talking about plain Chevron Suprem motor oil? If so, what do you think about the Chevron Supreme Synthetic motor oils?

quote:

Originally posted by Mulaka:
Are you guys talking about plain Chevron Suprem motor oil? If so, what do you think about the Chevron Supreme Synthetic motor oils?

Yeah..Just regular Chevron Supreme SM rating in the blue bottle.

I haven't tried the synthetic yet but I'd like to try and see how it holds up...I'm sure if their dino oils hold up in a notorious oil user engine like an Isuzu then their synthetics should do well too.

what do you think about the Chevron Supreme Synthetic motor oils?

I used Havoline Syn (which is almost the same oil as Chevron Syn) for 5000 miles in my car and I didnt notice any difference between it and Mobil 1. For most non turbo or sludge prone cars, this Group III oil should perform well.

In the near future I will do a UOA on this oil.

"the three wts SM 5w30 & 10w30 and SL 10w40 no longer sport the Iso-Syn logo" Yup. Some supply sites (mostly in the Eastern USA) no longer use IsoSyn-type basestocks. The addpack is is changed for these baseoils, and the end result is just as good as the other path of IsoSyn plus a different addpack.

The cachet marketing "IsoSyn" suffers a bit I think. Your UOAs will be fine either way.

This kind of optimizing happens a lot in the finished oils industry for many reasons. It just happend to be visible here as a particular baseoil was higlighted.

quote:

Originally posted by BigOil:
"the three wts SM 5w30 & 10w30 and SL 10w40 no longer sport the Iso-Syn logo" Yup. Some supply sites (mostly in the Eastern USA) no longer use IsoSyn-type basestocks. The addpack is is changed for these baseoils, and the end result is just as good as the other path of IsoSyn plus a different addpack.

The cachet marketing "IsoSyn" suffers a bit I think. Your UOAs will be fine either way.

This kind of optimizing happens a lot in the finished oils industry for many reasons. It just happend to be visible here as a particular baseoil was higlighted.

Can you tells us what basestock is used? Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by sands:
A while back I used Mobile products in my wife's 03' Isuzu Rodeo only to be disappointed by the amount of oil consumption that came from a supposedly excellent oil...

I started off with Mobile conventional oils..First it was the 10W30 drive clean for 2 OCI's and it got consumed both times about 1 quart within 3,000 miles.

Then tried the Mobile 5,000..Still consumed about 1 quart.

Then went to M1 synthetic 10W30...Still consumed it...M1 synthetic EP 10W30..Consumed.

Went to M1 15W50 synthetic for the summer at about $30 for 5 quarts..Still consumed about 1/4 quart per 1,000 miles...

So I would have to buy an extra $6 quart of oil just maintain proper oil level....Instead of 5 quarts per oil change I needed 6 when I used M1.

Then the switch to Chevron products

It was still summertime so I drained the M1 15W50 EP and put in some Delo 400 15w40 at only $9.36 for 5 quarts which works out to $1.87 per quart...Much cheaper than the M1.

Instantly the consumption stopped with the Chevron Delo 400 and the car was quieter too...I posted on here and many thought it was because of the heavier oil...The M1 15W50 didn't stop it, it was heavy and a full synthetic as well. But the Delo was able to resist consumption!!!

I recently drained the Delo 400 15W40 and put in some Chevron Supreme 10W30 and I checked the oil at just over 1,000 miles the other day and still zero consumption.Even with the lighter weight oil....The oil level on the dipstick is in the same spot it was on the day I changed it...

I'm very happy with Chevron products..Now I don't have to constantly add oil...And from the looks of the excellent uoa's on here I know it's gotta be an excellent oil.

Wise move.Like you I came to me senses and saw the light. I have two V8 Ford trucks and one Honda Accord 2.4 that I switched from Mobil1 to Motorcraft/Kendall GT1/Phillips blend. 10w30 in the trucks and 5w20 in the Honda with no problems.
Mobil1 is a waste of money for my use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back