Mobil 1 selected as the Factory and Service Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM factory-fills everything with a Mobil product of some sort IIRC, so if it calls for syn. its getting M1 anyway.

I recently heard that Mobil 1 is now the recommended oil for all Chevrolet Performance crate engines too. I hope it's the Racing formulation that they're recommending, though, because it's likely the only one that has sufficient zinc/phosphorus content (1,850 ppm/1,750 ppm) to keep their crate engines w/ flat tappet cams protected. The Advanced Fuel Economy and Extended Performance formulations only have 740 ppm and 890 ppm zinc (respectively), which probably isn't enough protection for flat tappet engines with high valve spring pressure.

^ yes that is true.

"For street-focused builds, dexos GM-approved Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 15W-50 are especially suited for high- and low-temperature protection, while dexos2 GM-approved Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 also will be available, the first motor oil specifically developed for Corvette LT1 and LT4 engines.
For track-focused applications, Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 and Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 feature twice the amount of zinc compared to regular street oils and were specifically designed for highly-loaded flat-tappet engine applications."

Originally Posted by OutlawT52
I recently heard that Mobil 1 is now the recommended oil for all Chevrolet Performance crate engines too. I hope it's the Racing formulation that they're recommending, though, because it's likely the only one that has sufficient zinc/phosphorus content (1,850 ppm/1,750 ppm) to keep their crate engines w/ flat tappet cams protected. The Advanced Fuel Economy and Extended Performance formulations only have 740 ppm and 890 ppm zinc (respectively), which probably isn't enough protection for flat tappet engines with high valve spring pressure.

You revived a thread that is 11 years old....

If a topic interests you please start a new topic. Rather than replying to a 11 year old dead topic with likely outdated information. If you have new information start a new topic and refer to this one if wanted.

Otherwise you're not helping anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back