Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this has been discussed a number of times. Mobil 1 0W-40 was sourced here from France, and now new bottles started appearing on the shelves with golden New Life labels on them. The new products are sourced from Egypt.

Looking at the product data sheet I have for the French version (same PDS can be found here), and comparing it to the Egyptian version, I noticed the following differences:

- cSt @ 40ºC is now 75 (previously 80)
- cSt @ 100ºC is now 13.5 (previously 14.3)
- HTHS viscosity increased to 3.8 (previously 3.6)
- Viscosity index is reduced to 185 (previously 187)
- Sulfated ash has increased to 1.3 wt% (previously 1.2)
- Flash point is now 230ºC (previously 236ºC)

The TBN is listed as 11.8 for New Life, there is no mention of it for the older version.

I'm trying to find an up to date PDS for the European and American version to compare, but cannot find one for the life of me.
09.gif

You would think it would be cheaper for Exxon/Mobil to just make 1 formuala world wide vs having so many variances of the same type and weight.

If 0-40 in the USA is different than the UK and the UK is different than the Middle East, and its different in Aussie town, then, are all these refineries running independently or what?

Who knows, just seems like it would cost more for the company overall. Uniformity should shed cost, you would thiink??

0-40 the same world wide. Now that would be different. I guess they just pump in the oil of the region and refine it. Crude from different sources must vary just enough to make each version unique.

Last edited:
Lots of variables worldwide, not least of which is gas quality and composition. I don;t think it makes sense to have a universal standard recipe oil, for a wildly different environment, but where they are similar....I'm sure your point is valid.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would have to say the 0w-40 M1 is one of the top oils on the market.

I dunno if I'd go that far, but it's not bad for the price. I wish they could improve its shear stability.

There's been 3 different versions - 14.3, 14.0, and 13.5 cst @ 100c. The first one has the same specs as the older SL version, except for the SM rating...

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
There's been 3 different versions - 14.3, 14.0, and 13.5 cst @ 100c. The first one has the same specs as the older SL version, except for the SM rating...

How low can they go?
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back