Mobil 1 HM 5w30 (2018) vs M1EP 10w30 (2017) pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last oil change in my Caprice at the start of the winter I put in Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 (on sale for $29.99 CND - 5qts). I had to top up a qt and ended up buying another 5qt jug as it was on sale again and nothing was worth buying a qt of, so I still have the rest of that jug here in front of me. It's rated SN plus, ACEA A5/b5 and now that I look, I see the date is 2018.

Today I went to Canadian Tire and ended up buying filters for both cars (Mobil 1 EP filters on sale) and a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 EP 10w30 which I am going to run in the 350 Oldsmobile for the summer since the Caprice only gets driven occasionally in the summer.

Since I'm a nerd I put both jugs side by side and notice the EP is only ACEA a1/b1 and API sn (not an plus). That surprised me. Then I realized this jug is from 2017. Mobil 1 shows the EP is rated SN plus now, and the high mileage doesn't show those specs online (but the jug does so they just haven't updated yet).

Either way I'm not returning the oil or anything, I'm just curious if it's known whether the oil actually changed for the new certifications or not. I'm not going to run it for 25,000kms like it's rated, but it was the best oil I could get for the price so I bought it for $34. I will likely run it through the summer and change it next spring after it sits all winter.

IMG_20190314_180453.jpg

Last edited:
not sure about spec changes but its best to store unused engines in the winter, usually motorcycles with clean uncontaminated oil that will not attack various engine metals.

There might have been a formulation change, or perhaps it met it already. Mobil is usually not very far behind when it comes to formulations. As you already point out, though, it won't matter in the least for your intentions.

Originally Posted by benjy
not sure about spec changes but its best to store unused engines in the winter, usually motorcycles with clean uncontaminated oil that will not attack various engine metals.

When I parked my Oldsmobile for the winter I changed the oil right before with a cheap conventional and then put MMO down the cylinders after it was parked in the barn for the winter. Now in the spring I'll drive it a day or two and then put my new M1EP and filter in for the year. If the oil still looks reasonably clean I'll leave it for storage over the winter. I'll probably only have 6k miles on it by then max. Maybe less than 5k.

Mobil 1 has been SN plus for years, 2010 I think. There are several threads and the statement on their website. They work directly with the OEMs and are usually setting the curve.

EDIT

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-modern-engines/lspi-protection

2ND EDIT

To answer your core question, it is likely the formula has changed since 2010 as there are variations batch to batch, changes in additive pricing, base stock supplies etc etc. But they didn't have to make a major change for SN plus, they've been meeting the standard all along

Last edited:
Okay, I didn't realize. It's weird that the bottle doesn't state and plus for their top of the line oil but does for the high mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back