Mobil 1 green cap 0-W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Website is being upgraded. Formulations are the same. Just marketing the benefits of 0w oils.

I have no idea how good/bad the 0w30 is. I would expect volatility to be higher with the lower viscosity base oils and VII's used (HT/HS of only 2.99)

Buster: Are you saying that this 'new' green capped oil is basically the same oil as the last 0W20 (with the yellow striped silver container)?

I have yet to see this oil anywhere! I have been to a couple of China Marts, NAPA, AAP, and AZ. Can't find it anywhere in Columbus, OH! Anyone see it in Ohio yet?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Website is being upgraded. Formulations are the same. Just marketing the benefits of 0w oils.

I have no idea how good/bad the 0w30 is. I would expect volatility to be higher with the lower viscosity base oils and VII's used (HT/HS of only 2.99)

Buster: Are you saying that this 'new' green capped oil is basically the same oil as the last 0W20 (with the yellow striped silver container)?

It's the same formula, different bottle.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It seems odd not to "test" for A5, as it's a self-reported spec. If there were no other AEA specs listed, ok, but why assert A1, but not A5 w/o a technical reason? Valvoline does it, Pennzoil does it and A5 is the single most important spec for me. The fact the older formula carried both specs makes the issue all the more confounding. I don't know how much "sense" Mobil's response really makes, other than to ask them "why" not to test A5 and to generally take their story with a grain of sodium.

21.gif
I really don't know. Give them a call.

This oil could end up thinning down a being more volatile.

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V

Is this true???

good oil if it's true..

Originally Posted By: daman

Is this true???

good oil if it's true..

Yeah, same oil.

daman, you have used this oil for awhile correct?

I'm not calling Mobil because they have a credibility problem. Their "non-answer" speaks volumes. I'll just refer to their published specs, in absence of a genuine explaination. Yeah, test for A1 (for some reason), but not A5 (because it's something they ~just don't do~). It would make more sense the other way around, right? A5 surpasses A1, so why bother with A1?

I'm not calling Mobil because they have a credibility problem. Their "non-answer" speaks volumes. I'll just refer to their published specs, in absence of a genuine explaination. Yeah, test for A1 (for some reason), but not A5 (because it's something they ~just don't do~). It would make more sense the other way around, right? A5 surpasses A1, so why bother with A1?

No one is forcing you to use Mobil 1 0w-30, I don't know what the problem is? I would say it is definitely superior to both of the oils currently in your cars by a long shot.

No one is forcing you to use Mobil 1 0w-30, I don't know what the problem is? I would say it is definitely superior to both of the oils currently in your cars by a long shot.

LOL!....
thumbsup2.gif

It's possible M1 5w30/0w30 don't meet ACEA A5. I'm not sure it matters though unless you need an A5 rated oil. Both meet the Corvette spec. and the 5w30 is one of only two synthetics that meets the new Honda Turbo spec. Also, no 0w20 oils meet A5, yet they are long drain capable.

How would you know? Just a guess?

FYI, GM LL-025/A5 Saab Synth > A1 oils, like DuraBlend and Mobil 1 0w-30.

This thread is getting pretty hilarious.

How would you know? Just a guess?

FYI, GM LL-025/A5 Saab Synth > A1 oils, like DuraBlend and Mobil 1 0w-30.

This thread is getting pretty hilarious.

Of GM4718M and ACEA A5 specifications, which would have most stringent requirements?

A5 is more demanding than A1, so I see AJ's point.

On the low HT/HS issue FWIW: "from a mix of thinner base oils and/or the use of more alkylated naphthalenes. Adding friction modifiers usually results in lower HT/HS because it lowers traction coefficient as well." - Tribologist

Mobil still uses Grp V oils in their synthetics.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Does this new 'green' 0W20 M1 supercede the previous 0W20 (with the yellow stripe) or will both be sold?

I'm confused...I thought this thread was about M1 0W-30, not 0W-20?!?!
21.gif

Of that we agree!

However, my point was to establish which specification is more demanding, GM4718M or ACEA A5.

If GM spec is the more demanding, then it would render A5 spec as irrelevant thus proving Mobil claim from earlier post.

Then again, could we be comparing apples and oranges here?

Is there a link to the GM4718M specification?
(like the ACEA spec)
I've searched for .pdf's but found nothing apart from links to fora talking about the spec, including BITOG.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Iain

Of that we agree!

However, my point was to establish which specification is more demanding, GM4718M or ACEA A5.

If GM spec is the more demanding, then it would render A5 spec as irrelevant thus proving Mobil claim from earlier post.

Then again, could we be comparing apples and oranges here?

I don't know. ACEA specifications seem pretty tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back