Mobil 1 green cap 0-W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than HT/HS, direct-injection and shear parameters the specs are identical. A big difference in service description though: A5 is "Stable, Stay-in-Grade, Extended Drain, High Performance, Direct Injection". A1 is none of these.

Is Mobil counting on a bit of ignorance of the actual spec meanings by the general public?

Quote:
Is Mobil counting on a bit of ignorance of the actual spec meanings by the general public?

No, Mobil is doing what they should be doing which is listing the actual specs it meets. It is what it is. You are the one trying to make it something it's not. It's a synthetic oil for OEM drain intervals, with a low HT/HS for improved fuel economy. Like other Mobil 1 oils, they provide superior deposit/sludge prevention under extreme conditions.

AJ, if you look at what the difference is, it's simple. This oil is really going to act as a 20wt in terms of HT/HS. NO 20wt oil meets A5/B5. Amsoil's 25,000 mile 0w20, Mobil 1 0w20,PP 0w20 meet only ACEA A1/B1. These are also long drain oils. If you notice, A1/B1 allows HT/HS as low as 2.6, where A5/B5 only allows as low as 2.9. So you can probably expect a vis. drop. This oil is probably more fuel efficient than most 30wt oils. HT/HS is related to fuel efficiency. So with the better fuel efficiency, it also exceeds all API SM A1/B1 specs and meets the Corvette spec. Sounds good to me. It kind of suggests you could run a 20wt in a Corvette. Someone on here claimed RL 5w20 worked well in his Vette. RL though was acting as a 30wt though so it's not comparable. Would be interesting to see a UOA though.

Quote:
Dino oils meet A1.

Dino oils do not meet the Corvette spec., have the deposit/sludge control, low temp performace, oxidation resistance of M1 0w-30. Most wear occurs at start up and deposits lead to increased wear.

Mobil Nascar oil had a HT/HS of 2.99. 0w30. fwiw.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Racing_0W-30.asp

Quote:
Team Penske, West McLaren Mercedes, Porsche, Mopar Performance, Corvette Racing and an incredible 74 percent of NASCAR drivers trust Mobil 1 technology to protect their racing engines. Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30, specifically designed for exceptional performance and protection in NASCAR engines, is now being made available to consumers.

So what problem do you have with it protecting your Honda 2.4? I'm not specifically sure what you are referring too?

I must be confused, because M1 0w-30 HT/HS at 2.99 falls into the parameters of A5 service. 11cSt @ +100c, how did 20 weight come into the conversation? Again I ask, why no A5?

0w30 with HTHS of 2.9 with a VII that shears could shear down and therefore not be a stable in grade oil, hence the A1, not A5. I think that is why this is a an very fuel efficient 30wt. You might also see more wear depending on the engine.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
SynPower 30 weight is A1 and A5.
DuraBlend is A1.
Mobil 1 0w-30 is A1.

Do you know the HT/HS of the Valvoline? I'm curious.

I assume >2.9 is required for API specs.

I checked my old 0w-30 SL bottles and they carry A1 and A5.

Unless this oil is supposed to drop it's HT/HS down, I can't think of any other reason why it is not A5/B5. Any other ideas?

Mobil 1 5w30 is also ACEA A1/B1. No A5. M1 0w30 looks like it was always just A1/B1.

Actually the 0w30 might have met A5/B5. I'm not sure. I'd have to look up the old PDS.

Ok, spoke with Matt. They no longer test for ACEA A5/B5. Said it would definitely would meet it, but it's no longer something they test for. A5/B5 is somewhat out dated or not called for by manufacturers. I'm glad they very clear about what specs are tested for and actually met. The fact that it meets the Corvette spec is good IMO.

been reading along..thanks for the info buster.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
been reading along..thanks for the info buster.
thumbsup2.gif

Matt is the best person to talk to at XOM, if you ever have any questions.

They simply don't test for A5/B5 anymore. A1/B1 and A3 are the 3 main specs. He did confirm that they would meet A5/B5, which will be a problem for some people, but I take his word. It sounds as if those specs are no longer sought after.

I see..cool thanks!!

wonder why there new green cap is'nt on there web site
did say anything about that??

Does this new 'green' 0W20 M1 supercede the previous 0W20 (with the yellow stripe) or will both be sold? What about the 5w20 version with the silver stripe? While I think this is a good marketing move it's getting hard to follow all the varieties of Mobil 1. The older (SJ and SL) versions of M1 0w30 also claimed "Enhanced Fuel Economy".

Website is being upgraded. Formulations are the same. Just marketing the benefits of 0w oils.

I have no idea how good/bad the 0w30 is. I would expect volatility to be higher with the lower viscosity base oils and VII's used (HT/HS of only 2.99)

Last edited:
It seems odd not to "test" for A5, as it's a self-reported spec. If there were no other AEA specs listed, ok, but why assert A1, but not A5 w/o a technical reason? Valvoline does it, Pennzoil does it and A5 is the single most important spec for me. The fact the older formula carried both specs makes the issue all the more confounding. I don't know how much "sense" Mobil's response really makes, other than to ask them "why" not to test A5 and to generally take their story with a grain of sodium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back