Mobil 1 getting a lot of bad rap here lately??? WHY ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.....I haven't been on the forum for a couple of months......business and other evening projects.......
Reading the forum I see a lot of bad comments in regards to Mobil 1......especially in regards to GM LS style engines...............why, what's going on.....did oil analysis reveal this too?

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Hey guys.....I haven't been on the forum for a couple of months......business and other evening projects.......
Reading the forum I see a lot of bad comments in regards to Mobil 1......especially in regards to GM LS style engines...............why, what's going on.....did oil analysis reveal this too?

Hi,

I think you're imagining Mobil 1 abuse.
There's been Mobil 1 SS 0W-40 abuse, in my
opinion unwarranted, but Mobil 1 is definitely
the most popular oil in this forum.

Mobil 1 is PAO and it's got Moly.

worshippy.gif

bowdown.gif

I think you're imagining nonexistant Mobil 1
abuse.

gr_eek2.gif

Don't worry.

fruit.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

There isn't really an abuse. I think the biggest complaint it's just too thin for certain engines (Ls1). But based on all the analysis it's still one of the best oils you can buy. Check out the analysis section.

I can tell you what he thinks....
smile.gif
, At the time of this video, Mobil had just came out with the SuperSyn and this just appeared on the local parts house shelf. The test showed that the new antiwear barrier additive they touted was bogus in respect to the timken and qualified by oil analysis at that time as well.. It was shortly after that, that new analysis was coming back with Moly added in the mix where it wasn't before, so the test was rerun, and it did exceptionally well and no longer is that test valid in relation to how the oil is now. It does however provide a lesson in the differences on how a barrier additive can make a difference. So, as pointed out before since the change, I have retracted my comments on that video and now stand by that it has proven to be one of the higher quality oils since the reformulation of that first one. Hope that helps explain what I think now about that video. I guess I need to change that up in someway to clear up the confusion it leads to and really isn't fair for them either since it is a top notch oil.
bob

Thanks for clearing this up BOB. It has been posted on the miata.net web site as a reason not to use Mobil 1. I guess oils are always improving so it is hard to keep up. This site is invaluable in this respect. Thanks again!

Ditto !! This was really helpful Bob.
quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
Thanks for clearing this up BOB. It has been posted on the miata.net web site as a reason not to use Mobil 1. I guess oils are always improving so it is hard to keep up. This site is invaluable in this respect. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back