Mobil-1 bulk??

A mechanic friend of mine bought a 55 gallon drum of Citgo oil much cheaper than it would be by the quart bottle. I use Mobil-1 10w-30 Synthetic in our vehicles. Which I buy from BJ's Wholesale for $23.99/case (6 quarts). I was wondering if it would be significantly cheaper to buy a 55 gallon drum (if possible). I figure I will eventually use 55 gallons, lol. Does anyone have sources for such a purchase? Thanks, John

My experience has been that it is cheaper to buy oil at BJ's, Costco, Walmart etc by the qt than it is to buy a 55 gallon drum. Doesn't make sense to me but thats what I found 20 yrs ago and it was the same when I checked 2 yrs ago. Both for myself and for a buddy who owns a shop and uses 55 gallon quantities. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hubjeep

Mark, where are you on Long Island? I am in Oyster Bay. I once went to a place named Buy-low Industries [spelling?] They had various lubricants in bulk. -John [Cool]

I believe it has to do with economy of scale, & mass market discounters vs regular distributors. The owner of the local parts store has told me several times that he can buy motor oil cheaper off the shelf at Wal-Mart than from his local distributor. When you figure that 55 gal barrels will come from a distributor, while WM, CostCo, etc will be heavily discounting those quarts, it begins to make a kind of backwards sense.

quote:
Originally posted by Hubjeep: Mark, where are you on Long Island? I am in Oyster Bay. I once went to a place named Buy-low Industries [spelling?] They had various lubricants in bulk. -John [Cool]
East Meadow - near Walmart !