Mobil-1 bulk??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mechanic friend of mine bought a 55 gallon drum of Citgo oil much cheaper than it would be by the quart bottle.

I use Mobil-1 10w-30 Synthetic in our vehicles. Which I buy from BJ's Wholesale for $23.99/case (6 quarts).

I was wondering if it would be significantly cheaper to buy a 55 gallon drum (if possible).

I figure I will eventually use 55 gallons, lol.

Does anyone have sources for such a purchase?

Thanks,
John

My experience has been that it is cheaper to buy oil at BJ's, Costco, Walmart etc by the qt than it is to buy a 55 gallon drum.

Doesn't make sense to me but thats what I found 20 yrs ago and it was the same when I checked 2 yrs ago.
Both for myself and for a buddy who owns a shop and uses 55 gallon quantities.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Mark, where are you on Long Island? I am in Oyster Bay.

I once went to a place named Buy-low Industries [spelling?] They had various lubricants in bulk.

-John
cool.gif

I believe it has to do with economy of scale, & mass market discounters vs regular distributors. The owner of the local parts store has told me several times that he can buy motor oil cheaper off the shelf at Wal-Mart than from his local distributor. When you figure that 55 gal barrels will come from a distributor, while WM, CostCo, etc will be heavily discounting those quarts, it begins to make a kind of backwards sense.

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:
Mark, where are you on Long Island? I am in Oyster Bay.

I once went to a place named Buy-low Industries [spelling?] They had various lubricants in bulk.

-John
cool.gif

East Meadow - near Walmart !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back