Has Mobil 1 ESP (5w30) priced themselves out of the market?

Here's my "expert" opinion. My Lincoln Town Car has 244,000 miles on it now and has only had 5W-20 Cam-2 100% Synthetic since I bought it with 45,000 miles on the odometer. I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles and it has never used any oil between changes. I also use a pint of Kreen in the fuel every 5,000 miles to keep the injectors clean.
I'm 82 years old and always change my own oil and filter.
Epic car, that's for sure. You'll find a lot of love for that car on these forums. We know and appreciate a good thing when we see it!

Thank you everyone, I will check out the prices at Advanced. My local Walmart does not carry the ESP line.

$40.99 today on 45% off sale at CT.
I think the only thing M1 ESP has on Pennzoil LX is NOAK is a bit lower, otherwise they are very comparable.
Yea for me, I am waiting on a sale for the motomaster OEPlus 0w30 European which seems to be basically identical to the Euro Lx as shell makes this oil. Generally goes on sale cheaper than the Pennzoil

Actually if you catch Pennzoil LX on sale and then get $10 a jug off via their online promotion then Pennzoil comes out cheaper.
MotoMaster Euro 0w-30 is also made in Germany like Pennzoil LX.

It's possible that this oil is using new technology from what I've been reading. But like 99% of this site, it's all speculation so take it with a grain of salt.

Newer tech could be the reason price has gone up.

"It is noteworthy to mention that the recently introduced ESP 5W-30 variant features a unique additive formulation and does not utilize molybdenum compounds. This novel ingredient, which may have been previously recognized but remains shrouded in uncertainty, could represent a state-of-the-art advancement in tribology - TRIS(BRANCHED-ALKYL) BORATE or orthoboric acid tri(C=3-12)alkyl ester (improved polyborate ester compositions for use in lubricating oils to inhibit wear and oxidation)"

It's possible that this oil is using new technology from what I've been reading. But like 99% of this site, it's all speculation so take it with a grain of salt.

"It is noteworthy to mention that the recently introduced ESP 5W-30 variant features a unique additive formulation and does not utilize molybdenum compounds. This novel ingredient, which may have been previously recognized but remains shrouded in uncertainty, could represent a state-of-the-art advancement in tribology - TRIS(BRANCHED-ALKYL) BORATE or orthoboric acid tri(C=3-12)alkyl ester (improved polyborate ester compositions for use in lubricating oils to inhibit wear and oxidation)"
I just go by the picture on the bottle.

They might have actually improved it, hopefully. Pure speculation like a lot of what we read here regarding oil.

Mobil-1 ESP has such a small slice of the Exxon-Mobil oil producing, retail-selling pie, that the ESP lineup would not be missed, had it disappeared in the next 12 months. Much like PUP, it sells much better in large bulk quantities to businesses, than by single quarts or single five quart jugs.

Should ESP disappear, something else would come out in it's place afterwards, but with tweaks here & there in the recipe and quite possibly in a lower price.

Last edited:
Back