Mobil 1 AFE or Vavoline Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing my oil on Thursday. 2011 Hyundai Sonata 5,600 miles. I was leaning toward M1 Advanced Fuel 0W-20.
I was also thinking about Valvoline Synpower 0W-20. I can't find the data sheet for the valvoline.... Which one would be better? I am in Northern Wi,so it will be cold here SOON!!

Also, I can get the Valvoline for about $2.00 a quart after a rebate...and the Mobil 1 is $7.99 a quart at all the local Auto parts stores.

I am not going to push the OCI's...4-5,000 miles..

Need some "professional" opinions!!

Thanks,
Scotty B

Last edited:
IF I could get Synpower for that price it would definitely be my choice. No doubt.

M1. IMHO, Synpower does not have the same quality of additive package - many used oil analysis's here show Synpower to wear out faster than M1.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
IF I could get Synpower for that price it would definitely be my choice. No doubt.

Ditto.

As far as Synpower wearing out faster...it may (or may not) be true but unless you are doing an extended OCI (over 7500 miles) I wouldn't worry about it.

The local O'Riley's has it for $3.99 a quart...And there is a Valvoline rebate for $10.00 on 5 quarts,or $25.00 for 10 quarts...

It says go to enginegauarantee.com and enroll using special enrollment code ORLY2141.

Is Valvoline as good as Mobil 1??

Originally Posted By: illby1
The local O'Riley's has it for $3.99 a quart...And there is a Valvoline rebate for $10.00 on 5 quarts,or $25.00 for 10 quarts...

It says go to enginegauarantee.com and enroll using special enrollment code ORLY2141.

Is Valvoline as good as Mobil 1??

People mention the additive pack as a negative and cite the VOA/UOA as evidence. But if you look at the rest of the UOA that you are citing, the wear numbers are all very good. So, the add pack numbers don't tell the entire story. It has lead to speculation that Valvoline is using some organic-based additives they are tight lipped about, and don't show up very well in oil analysis. Suffice it to say, you are buying the performance of the product, not the ingredient list. Valvoline performs very well and is a top shelf product. Have no worries about using it.

Last edited:
Synpower with a pureone filter. That's not a very long oci for syn. motor oil. synpower has the ACEA A5 spec. so synpower is an 18,000 mile oil.

Can't beat that $2/qt I WANT SOME!

eeerrrrr I get an error from their website, and now I can't print it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Synpower with a pureone filter. That's not a very long oci for syn. motor oil. synpower has the ACEA A5 spec. so synpower is an 18,000 mile oil.

In a European engine that spec's an A5 oil and often has an 8L sump. Yes.

But it is probably no where NEAR an 18K mile oil in a standard American sump.

Originally Posted By: JeepRubicon2k3
Can't beat that $2/qt I WANT SOME!

eeerrrrr I get an error from their website, and now I can't print it!

I went through the process this morning and go the same "error code"... I am at work so I am not sure if I need the lastest version of something else or not??
If I can't print any coupons/rebates I am not sure which way to go...???

i have 5w-30 Synpower in my sump right now from that deal. just sent in my bottle rings, rebate form and receipt yesterday. that was a [censored] of a deal.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
regardless of price....synpower. just check the used oil analysis section

+2. Very good oil that doesn't get the respect it deserves around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back