Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30; Have cold weather specs been downgraded?

I can tell you that 508 00 stuff is thin thin thin. and feels very majority PAO.

Thin? Yes
Majority PAO? No

Having seen the vw508 msds for:
Mobil1
Castrol
Shell
Total
Valvoline
Liqui Moly
Amsoil...

The highest content pao 508 i know of is Castrol with 50%.

Mobil1 ESP X2 is 20% and many others use less than that. Most are GroupIII with
I haven't seen the msds for Motul or Ravenol.

Last edited:
Thin? Yes
Majority PAO? No

Mobil1
Castrol
Shell
Total
Valvoline
Liqui Moly
Amsoil...

Mobil 1 0W-20 EP's seem to be up to 70% PAO...

Thin? Yes
Majority PAO? No

Mobil1
Castrol
Shell
Total
Valvoline
Liqui Moly
Amsoil...

Which Castrol is this? Is this the BC 0W30?

Why am I getting the impression that the newer oils lately are suddenly "not as good" as in the past? pour points raising, GTL seemingly not being so good, etc. is it just me?
And yet you can still buy numerous oils that meet the most demanding of approvals, some at Walmart for very low prices.

You can tell PAO content by feel?
Wow!

Like feel between your fingers or feel in your soul?
Well if you dullards drove a light inline 4 tin can with a stick shift you, wouldn't be so isolated from the engine.
If I had a Silverardo with a LS I wouldn't know what was in there.

Well if you dullards drove a light inline 4 tin can with a stick shift you, wouldn't be so isolated from the engine.
I drive a light inline 4 tin can with a stick shift, and I cannot distinguish between oil base stocks.

Maybe I'm a dullard even with the right equipment.

I drive a light inline 4 tin can with a stick shift, and I cannot distinguish between oil base stocks.

Maybe I'm a dullard even with the right equipment.
Just laying out my experience. I've won technical arguments with the PhD's in my old startup.
Smart doubters. But inexperienced, though old enough.

Save the name calling for recess on the playground.

Tell us more about how you sense PAO content with your light inline 4 tin can with a stick shift.
Is it a feeling in the shifter?
A feeling through the seat?
Maybe the sound?
Something else???

Can you provide specifics as to how whatever this feeling is then correlates to PAO content?

Thanks!

If you have run it, you know how its runs: somewhat clattery engine, lots of freed up power, and much lower instances of ring coking and sticking causing cylinder imbalance.
Crap, my engines didn't get the memo.

Edit: I see you're only talking about small 4 bangers. Mine are all V8, and I have noticed valve train sound changes (more noise with thicker oils) but no difference between conventional and full synthetic with Pao.

Does it have to be a manual? My Mitsubishi 1.8 four banger with a automatic felt and sounded the same no matter what was in the crankcase.

Save the name calling for recess on the playground.

Tell us more about how you sense PAO content with your light inline 4 tin can with a stick shift.
Is it a feeling in the shifter?
A feeling through the seat?
Maybe the sound?
Something else???

Can you provide specifics as to how whatever this feeling is then correlates to PAO content?

Thanks!

It may be the taste.

Thin? Yes
Majority PAO? No

Mobil1
Castrol
Shell
Total
Valvoline
Liqui Moly
Amsoil...

I think Total has 70-80%. Could be wrong.

I think Total has 70-80%. Could be wrong.

It used to be. Now it's 60-70% GrpIII as well...

Screenshot_20201113-190254_Drive.jpg

In English with date of most current revision...

Screenshot_20201113-190934_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• QUARTZ INEO LONG LIFE 0W-20_086744_Germany_German_NO REVISION DATE.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have two cases of the older 0w30 m1 for top off. I figured the SP wasn't gonna be nearly as good. But to be fair as possible, I have used it to top off and hasn't left any negative effects on the Redline 5w30. Might have helped bring the stout 3.7 hths down a tad.

Yes, which explains why it is a 5w-xx and not a 0w-xx as that CCS translates into ~7,600cP at -35C and the MRV becomes ~25,000cP at -40C assuming there isn't a sudden change in wax crystal formation driving it higher.
Don't know about you, but -40 degs C or F is awfully darn cold. Very few places in the Lower-48 see those temps. OTOH, Interior and the North Slope of Alaska see those temps regularly, but not Anchorage area or SE Alaska. Portions of Canada see those temps, but they are not overly populated.

IMHO, 0W oils aptly apply in Fairbanks, while 5W oils apply in Anchorage and surrounding areas, to include most of the Lower-48 states (the exceptions being northern MN and ND). In Palmer, AK (55-miles northeast of Anchorage) I run QSFS (QSUD) 5W-30 in the winter. We see -32 and -33 degs F on occasion, though it's rare. I've made occasional forays into Interior Alaska and my LS engine Chevy truck has done well at -35 degs F on QSUD.

Back