Mobil 1 5W-40 "Truck/SUV" at local Kragen autoparts

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Given the low price of $4.99/qt at Retail, I'd guess this is a PAO/GP III/Ester blend

The price of this 5w40 is in line with the prices of all other grades of Mobil 1 which, accrording to Mobil, do not contain Group III.

Since Mobil has a made a point to say that Mobil 1 contains no Group III, I seriously doubt if they are going to start selling a grade of Mobil 1 that does have Group III in it.

GManII,

You may well be right, it's probably the same basestock as the Mobil 1, 5w-30 with a bit more VI modifier added. I'd also expect the additive package to look more like Delvac 1300 or Delvac 1 in terms of the calcium/magnesium mix. When you blend the M1, 5w-30 and 15w-50 it probably gets you something close to this 5w-40 in terms of viscometrics.

The point I was making is that you aren't going to get a high vis, 10-12 Cst basestock, AND a robust add pack for $5.00/quart ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by J:

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
Most of my trucks run newer Cummins ISX 500 HP motors and they are rated at 15 litre displacement. Very advanced injection and electronics.

500 HP doesn't sound very impressive for a 15
Liter engine, but 1850 lb-ft of torque at 1200RPM
sure does
shocked.gif

cheers.gif

I like how the electronics know when the driver is in the top two gears for cruising and allow higher peak RPM for grade performance, and they also allow better low-lug for slow speed.

I can plug into the SAE port and download all the data. It's easy to see if a driver is abusing the motor.

I can monitor: total hours, idle time, average cruise RPM, shift RPM, coolant temps, oil temps, turbo gating (Has a "smart" turbo), etc etc.

This is way beyond the "good 'ole days" of manual rotary diesel injection. No wonder there was so much diesel fuel in the crank back then.

Jerry
Jae

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
GManII,

You may well be right, it's probably the same basestock as the Mobil 1, 5w-30 with a bit more VI modifier added. I'd also expect the additive package to look more like Delvac 1300 or Delvac 1 in terms of the calcium/magnesium mix. When you blend the M1, 5w-30 and 15w-50 it probably gets you something close to this 5w-40 in terms of viscometrics.

The point I was making is that you aren't going to get a high vis, 10-12 Cst basestock, AND a robust add pack for $5.00/quart ....

Ted

Well, in gallon jugs Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is around $5.28 a quart at my Mobil bulk dealer. In the 5 g pail, it works out to $5.20 a quart. I'm under the distinct impression they're not losing any money at that price either.

If Mobil 1 Truck and SUV is the same as Delvac 1, and more importantly my Cummins agent approves it, I could save some money in my heavy equipment.

If M1 T&S isn't a "real" Delvac 1, I wonder how they managed to get the CI-4 rating?

Jerry

quote:

Given the low price of $4.99/qt at Retail, I'd guess this is a PAO/GP III/Ester blend and does not use the same basestock and/or add pack as Delvac 1. Delvac 1 is $6.00/qt if you order it on line, or $5.50/qt Wholesale at oil jobbers if you buy a full case of

Amsoil has to charge more for their oil bc they don't make any of the components used in it. Wouldn't it be cheaper for EM to make a high end oil? They produce the base stocks and additives. Amsoil is buying from them and then marking it up even more. Although the retail level is out.

This oil is D1 IMO. If it weren't they would not have the same diesel rated specs on the bottle. It's a carry over.

[ February 01, 2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Can't just someone who is familar with D1 stick his nose in a bottle of 5W-40 T&S and give us an opinion on whether it smells like D1? Maybe have a taste...
wink.gif

I am prety much sold on the idea of this oil for once-yearly changes in passenger cars that I have to maintain, like mom's 12v V6 Audi engine like the 'bundman has. I wonder though, is GC better for long oci's?

Aren't diesel-rated oils designed to last even longer than the ones made for only gas engines? The diesel-rated oil should be better at holding particles and neutralizing acids, right?

I agree on the once-a-year oil change for most engines, but only if the car doesn't see extreme seasons, and if it's not driven short distances only. In general, I think most people can get away with two oil changes per year, regardless of miles driven (unless it's extreme).

I think the older HDEOs probally have been overtaken by the long-life high-tech mfg-spec PCMOs like GC and M1 0w-40. That would explain th sudden availability of a "D1"-type product at a "reduced" price. Choices for otc oils that can go a year are: M1 0w-40, GC, "D1" and maybe BC. I am using the GC/BC for winter/summer cycle, someone could go the M1 0w-40/D1 5w-40 route too!

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
BTW, how did the word "sport" get incorporated into SUV? What's sporty about a grossly overweight, top heavy, under-powered pig of the automotive world?

Oh come on...tell us how you REALLY feel.

Seriously, mine is VERY sporty, but it's a Porsche. They're not all "overweight, top heavy, under-powered pig"s. And some of us actually use the utility aspects of them. I'd like to see, say, a Bimmer M3 take me and 2 other fotografers and their gear to places I've been in my Cayenne. Don't be such a hardass.

Of course, MOST SUVs are wasted as soccer-mom utility vehicles.

I agree with satterfi....you are the very rare exception!

Would this oil be able to be used in a Ford 4.6L V8? I have an '04 Silverado Duramax on order, and if I chose this oil, and it could be used in both the Duramax and the 4.6, it would make life simpler. I currently use 10w-30 in the 4.6.

Hi, Will D1 still come out ahead of the new M1 for shear stability in 5K range?Like my wife asks,to do the laundry, should one use Tide,All or brandX.I say no,use Delvac-1.We speak the same language now, meaninglessness.A frighteningly weird picture is the little mom whipping about in her big SUV while on her cell& smoking.LookOut!
shocked.gif

This oil might be good and I'm considering using in in my C2500 this summer. However I won't/don't recommend using it in cars that spec 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40 until I see that it meets ACEA A3, manufacturers specs, & LongLife specs. I'll stick with M1 0w40 & GC 0w30, thank-you.

Where have you guys been able to find M1 5w-40 SUV? I went to Wal-Mart and they just had the regular M1. Should I try Autozone or Pep Boys?

Thanks
Max

My local wall mart has it for $19.99 for the 5 gallon jug. Somewhere around $5 a quart in singles.

My question is, my LS-1 V8 (04 GTO), it calls for 5-30, ive recently switched to Mobil 1 0-40 because of the better wear it should give. BUT 0-40 is hard to find around here and this 5-40 would save me about $10 an oil change.
wondering if it would be an acceptible substitute for M1 0-40

If Im reading the tables right..

cst vi at 40/ and 100c/ VI / HTHS
5-30 40c 56 100c 10.0/ 175/ 3.08
0-40 40c 80 100c 14.3/ 187/ 3.6
5-40 40c 103 100c 14.8/ 151/ 4.1

but Im not sure how the additive pkgs differ.

any thoughts?

Originally posted by why2kmax:
[QB] My local wall mart has it for $19.99 for the 5 gallon jug. Somewhere around $5 a quart in singles.

==============
I would love to find 5 gallons for $19.99!!! However, a 5 gallon jug would probably be hard to pour into the oil filler, and the more slightly built BITOGers would have trouble moving it from the shelf to the shopping cart.

Only having a little fun
grin.gif
Its a 5 quart jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back