Mobil 1 5W-40 "Truck/SUV" at local Kragen autoparts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. I've used Delvac 1 before. It's good stuff. I wouldn't rush out and drain the 0-40 after 3k mi. or anything drastic, but if you want to give it a run for the next OCI, why not.

I just put in the BMW 0-40...

A photo is worth 1000 words as they say, thanks so much for the picture!

I wonder if this is a decent oil to mix in with my M1 10W-30 instead of the 15W-50 (or if that'd make any difference anyhow). I think I'm going to wait and see how well this stuff stays in grade, and then try it in my Subaru.

This oil is rebottled D1 and that is a great thing. Ignoring the marketing BS, it will be a nice oil for several cars/trucks in particular like the Jeep, LS1, Porche Cayan and other engines.
wink.gif

Wow, that's great, it's D1! Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that the mass-market retailers like Walmart, AutoZone, and PepBoys will carry this!

Oh, and Canadian Tire, too, for you folks up in Canuckistan. But you guys already have D1 at Walmart...

quote:

Originally posted by Cary:
I would speculate that this is in fact Delvac 1. In order to try and maintain market dominance in the consumer market, Mobil wants an oil for light diesels and gas motors, but knows that they cannot sell Delvac 1 for $6.00 quart. By the same token, they know that if they drop the price of Delvac 1 which is a strong seller, they are loosing profits. The solution is to repackage Delvac 1, but not list the heavy truck certifications, thereby having a consumer oil, while not cannabalizing their heavy truck sales.

Obviously, a quick UOA would let us know if the new 5w-40 has the same additive package as Delvac.

Cary

Good points.

Though wouldn't a VOA better determine if Delvac 1 and M1 Truck and SUV are the same formula? Rather than a UOA??

Jerry

quote:

Though wouldn't a VOA better determine if Delvac 1 and M1 Truck and SUV are the same formula? Rather than a UOA??

Yes it would. I think someone above though said Mobil tech said it was the same. It has all the right specs thus far.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
That may not sound like a lot to you folks, but do you have any IDEA how big the sump is in a large Cummins motor??

Oh yes. Millions of years and many lifetimes ago, while I was grinding my way thru Arizona State University studying accounting, I beat tires and greased trucks for a living. All the Cummins 6s we had (and virtually all the other engines, too) held 10 gallons including that huge Luberfiner bypass filter. Is the panplug still 1-1/4"? Does Cummins still use those cloth-sock full-flow filters? (It's been about 40 years.)

Let's see...10 gallons = 40 quarts, times 50 cents = $20.

My question--is this 'Truck and SUV' oil the 'new 5W-40 SUV oil' they announced months ago, or will we soon see a gasoline-only SUV oil?

Ah, the things we do to get through college. The "good 'ole days."

Yep, 10 gallons sounds about right. So does the drain bolt size.

Oh, I think HD diesels stopped using the filter "sock" when I was still a young 'un, about 25 years ago. Luberfiner's were clay cartridge filters like a Clarifier process, and you needed straight mineral oil or they would clog.

The main filter(s) are high density with a lot of pleats, they work well. I use Gulf Coast bypass filters, but am trying an Amsoil bypass on the newest truck.

If this is the same as Delvac 1, and if I can use it in my heavy equipment and keep warranty, I'll be a VERY happy camper.

This will also make my Delvac 1 5W-40 Summer Experiment in my 2000 GMC Sierra a lot less painful.

Ever try to fill a small passenger vehicle with a gallon jug, or God Help You, a 5 gal pail??

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
The crude way to tell is the "smell" test. Mobil 1 smells like "Elmer's glue" and Delvac 1 smells like...well, "Diesel" oil. They're 2 totally different products. So if the 5-40 smells like Delvac, one can probably bet the farm that they're the same. Might be why they never offered the stuff in qt. bottles from the get-go. Now they do...

Dr. T:

Can't help you there. My sniffer is certifiably DOA. I mean, if I didn't make a conscious effort after my morning shower to apply deoderant, I'd never notice the difference.

Until folks around me started passing out.

Maybe I can train my cat to do the "sniff test?" After all, the little bugger is so picky he sniffs every can of cat food when I open it, like 10-20 sniffs, then turns his nose up and walks away if it doesn't "pass inspection."

Jerry

Alright, the combination of my engine sounding like a sack o'nails at idle and the advent of M1 5W-40 made me do it. I dumped the 0W-40 today (filter too) after about 7k miles and filled her up with M1 5W-40. I haven't had a chance for a decent test drive, but WOW! there's no more noisy rattling at idle anymore! Remember when I said that adding 1/2 quart GC made the motor more quiet at idle? well, The M1 5W-40 quieted it down all the way. I'll post again regarding this after I've driven the car for a good distance with this oil.

I compared the smell of M1 0W-40, M1 5W-40, and GC 0W-30. The gummi bear juice did smell a bit fruity. The 0W-40 smelled a bit like gasoline compared to the 5W-40, which has an Elmer glue-ish bouquet.

[ January 29, 2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Alright, the combination of my engine sounding like a sack o'nails at idle and the advent of M1 5W-40 made me do it. I dumped the 0W-40 today (filter too) after about 7k miles and filled her up with M1 5W-40. I haven't had a chance for a decent test drive, but WOW! there's no more noisy rattling at idle anymore! Remember when I said that adding 1/2 quart GC made the motor more quiet at idle? well, The M1 5W-40 quieted it down all the way. I'll post again regarding this after I've driven the car for a good distance with this oil.

I compared the smell of M1 0W-40, M1 5W-40, and GC 0W-30. The gummi bear juice did smell a bit fruity. The 0W-40 smelled a bit like gasoline compared to the 5W-40, which has an Elmer glue-ish bouquet.

How 'bout you do this community a favor and send a fresh batch of the 5W-40 for a VOA??
grin.gif

quote:

If M1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 is really D1, why don't they carry the same approvals?

Anyway, should I give the M1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 a try in my Audi sports sedan? 5W-40 is a recommended vicosity for the 2.8, but I'm still wondering if an oil designed for diesel motors is really optimal for a gas engine. D 1 has no friction modifiers, right? And does it even matter to a gas engine that a diesel oil will hold a large amount of soot? Supposedly CI-4 rated oils can neutralize large amounts of acids, and they are designed to last 30k miles in trucks. Sounds like a robust oil to me. So, should I give it a shot? I'm due for an oil change.

PS: heyjay, thanks for the explanation on CI-4. I actually found some info on the various diesel specs.

First of all, heavy duty diesel engine oils contain plenty of friction modifiers, especially Delvac 1 5W-40. Heavy equipment linehaul operators are VERY concerned about fuel economy and even a fraction of a MPG adds up to huge yearly savings.

In most tests, Delvac 1 will add from 3-7% to a HD diesel operating economy. I've had similar results in my equipment, whether you calculate in MPG or gallons per hour or whatever.

If your Audi 2.8 recommends a xW-40, ask your local Audi/Porsche dealer. Although a lot of folks are mystified by D1, some are aware it's a superior oil for HD diesel and most gas motors.

If Mobil is targeting the "light" truck market, they're not going to worry about listing HD diesel specs. I think that would confuse the average North American oil buyer.

After all, we've been raised on this API/SAE nonsense where they claim that all oils are the same, especially that "Starburst" garbage. Completely unlike the European ACEA process.

And if this really is a rebadged Delvac 1 5W-40, the price per quart works out about $1 cheaper than buying Delvac 1 in the gallon jug, and about 50 cents a quart cheaper than buying Delvac 1 in the 5 gallon pail.

I think that would really offend a lot of HD equipment operators, like me. However, since I need to "prove" I'm using the correct oil for extended warranty, I'm over a barrel.

Yet the Mobil 1 "Truck and SUV" DOES have mention of CI-4 and CH-4. I'm going to ask my Cummins tech rep if they'd go for it. Cummins also wants to see testing to their own CES 20078, CES 20077, CES 20076, etc and will grant approval based on the published CES results.

This would save me about 50 cents a quart if I could use the Mobil 1 SUV and Truck instead of Delvac 1. That may not sound like a lot to you folks, but do you have any IDEA how big the sump is in a large Cummins motor??

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:
My question--is this 'Truck and SUV' oil the 'new 5W-40 SUV oil' they announced months ago, or will we soon see a gasoline-only SUV oil?

Anyone care to speculate or share info?

I'm sure this is THE SUV oil Mobil announced. After all, it does say it's suitable for gas engines as well.

Today, I've driven the car extensively on both, city and highway, at high RPM (over 5k RPM), and I'm impressed. The engine is much quieter, which is mostly noticeable at idle. I did not feel any loss in hp due to the lower viscosity, but how could I? It takes about 10 hp until butt dino can tell a difference. I'll keep an eye on oil consumption abd fuel economy compared to Syntec 5W-50 and M1 0W-40, and I will have a UOA done after 5k miles. I have pretty good feeling about this oil. But I despise the stupid marketing of an "SUV & Truck" oil. It's embarrassing to buy that!
tongue.gif

[ January 31, 2004, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

quote:

But I despise the stupid marketing of an "SUV & Truck" oil. It's embarrassing to buy that!
tongue.gif

I agree, I will try it in my car but I wonder how many people won't simply because it says SUV and TRUCK oil so they won't think it's for car engines.

Seems very dumb to me.... Same as when the use to write "for high mileage cars" on their 10w30 oil.

Seems like it would eliminate thousands of customers

To make things worse, what do you think people will think when they see "That guy over there is putting oil for a diesel truck in his sport sedan, sheesh!"
cheers.gif

quote:

But I despise the stupid marketing of an "SUV & Truck" oil. It's embarrassing to buy that!
tongue.gif

No kidding.

When are we going to get "Mini-Van oil"?

Maybe the marketing mensa group should consider dismissing the vehicle all together and target the driver. We already have Mobil 1 Race oil for the wantabes, which is a large step in that direction.

EM has to market it this way because they are on the retail shelf, along side the others who do this. Regardless, let them call it what they want as long as it's D1 rebottled, I'm happy. It is frustrating to see them BS like this though.
rolleyes.gif

[ January 31, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back