Mobil 1 5W-40 "Truck/SUV" at local Kragen autoparts

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:
wink.gif
Maybe you sports-sedan guys should buy an SUV? But THEN the embarrassment, huh?!?!
tongue.gif

I won't be embarrassed--I HAVE an SUV and LOVE it.

My wife has an SUV. I'm fexible. I even let her park it in my garage.

BTW, how did the word "sport" get incorporated into SUV? What's sporty about a grossly overweight, top heavy, under-powered pig of the automotive world?

Even a Harley Davidson can out sport an SUV.

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:

This would save me about 50 cents a quart if I could use the Mobil 1 SUV and Truck instead of Delvac 1. That may not sound like a lot to you folks, but do you have any IDEA how big the sump is in a large Cummins motor??

Jerry

What's the displacement on that bad boy (Cummins Diesel Engine)?
10L? 20L?

cheers.gif

Jae

[ January 31, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: J ]

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
BTW, how did the word "sport" get incorporated into SUV? What's sporty about a grossly overweight, top heavy, under-powered pig of the automotive world?

Oh come on...tell us how you REALLY feel.

Seriously, mine is VERY sporty, but it's a Porsche. They're not all "overweight, top heavy, under-powered pig"s. And some of us actually use the utility aspects of them. I'd like to see, say, a Bimmer M3 take me and 2 other fotografers and their gear to places I've been in my Cayenne. Don't be such a hardass.

Of course, MOST SUVs are wasted as soccer-mom utility vehicles.

"Cayenne Turbo is a resolute and masterful performer. The 4.5-liter V8 produces a prodigious 450 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque for impressive acceleration."

****! You car guys have been doing your homework.

Can it do 0 to 100mph in less than 6.0 sec?

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
I don't know what a Cayenne is. Sorry

Things with 4 wheels don't really get my attention.

However, I'll do a google search to figure out this German SUV thing.

Here you go.
grin.gif

-

quote:

Originally posted by J:

quote:

This would save me about 50 cents a quart if I could use the Mobil 1 SUV and Truck instead of Delvac 1. That may not sound like a lot to you folks, but do you have any IDEA how big the sump is in a large Cummins motor??

Jerry

What's the displacement on that bad boy (Cummins Diesel Engine)?
10L? 20L?

cheers.gif

Jae

Most of my trucks run newer Cummins ISX 500 HP motors and they are rated at 15 litre displacement. Very advanced injection and electronics.

Hey, let's not make fun of that big and fast German pepper.
wink.gif

quote:

[Wink] Maybe you sports-sedan guys should buy an SUV? But THEN the embarrassment, huh?!?! [Razz]

I'd also be embarrassed to buy "Race Oil" for my Prius, Civic, Golf, or Elantra. I don't want to buy "High Mileage oil" for my what's going to be perceived as oil-burning and oil-leaking antique.

Actually, little embarrasses me anymore. I can get over that sort of thing. I must be getting old or something.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Hey, let's not make fun of that big and fast German pepper.
wink.gif

quote:

[Wink] Maybe you sports-sedan guys should buy an SUV? But THEN the embarrassment, huh?!?! [Razz]

I'd also be embarrassed to buy "Race Oil" for my Prius, Civic, Golf, or Elantra. I don't want to buy "High Mileage oil" for my what's going to be perceived as oil-burning and oil-leaking antique.

Actually, little embarrasses me anymore. I can get over that sort of thing. I must be getting old or something.
tongue.gif

'Old'? I turn 60 next month and then I'll qualify for Harkins Theaters' senior prices! I've been very happily retired for 6 years now. It's a wonderful life.

But decisions, decisions. Red Line or M1/D1 in the Cayenne? Unfortunately, neither is on the Porsche-approved-oils list, but I guess the M1/D1 is closer since there are M1 5W-40s on it. Also unfortunately, you guys feed my obsessive/cumpulsive tendencies with things automotive. I've learned a bit about engine oils since I've joined BITOB, so I really want to use the RL as I believe it's better overall.

Okay, I'm not old.
wink.gif

I think you should try the Red Line 5W-40 in the Cayenne. So far, the UOAs we've seen on Red Line show more wear particles that we'd expect from this oil, but we suspect that's due to the Red Line cleaning out old gunk. Your Porsche is still new and there shouldn't be any gunk. If you were willing to have a UOA done after 5k miles or so, we might see our suspicion confirmed. Of course, the M1 5W-40 would be about $2 less per quart than the RL, but that's probably not a huge deal.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:
wink.gif
Maybe you sports-sedan guys should buy an SUV? But THEN the embarrassment, huh?!?!
tongue.gif

I remember when driving a SUV was wierd (Jeeps,Bronco's,Blazers)...thats why I drive a Jeep TJ now
grin.gif
...but the people still think I'm wierd...
freak2.gif

quote:

Maybe the marketing mensa group should consider dismissing the vehicle all together and target the driver. We already have Mobil 1 Race oil for the wantabes, which is a large step in that direction.

Yeah, I'm sure that M1 Race Oil will be popular with the 16 year old Honda Civic boy racers with their potato cannon exhaust systems.
tongue.gif

[/qb][/QUOTE]'Old'? I turn 60 next month and then I'll qualify for Harkins Theaters' senior prices! I've been very happily retired for 6 years now. It's a wonderful life.

But decisions, decisions. Red Line or M1/D1 in the Cayenne? Unfortunately, neither is on the Porsche-approved-oils list, but I guess the M1/D1 is closer since there are M1 5W-40s on it. Also unfortunately, you guys feed my obsessive/cumpulsive tendencies with things automotive. I've learned a bit about engine oils since I've joined BITOB, so I really want to use the RL as I believe it's better overall. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, half the fun is getting confused over which oil to run. I was kind of hoping Mobil 1 15W-50 would meet the Porsche Approval List for your Cayenne. I guess your service manager gave the Thumbs Down?
frown.gif

Mobil 1 15W-50 would have been inexpensive (Relatively, compared to other oils), provided superior high temp protection for those nice turbochargers, and provided good "cold" temp protection for AZ.

At least while under warranty, I'd stick with your Porsche dealer servicing. I looked up the Cayenne at the Porsche US site and those babies are SWEET.

You've worked hard for that ride, enjoy it.

Jerry

If Jeffrey sticks with the Porsche dealer servicing the car, then I can only hope his dealer is more diligent than my Audi/Porsche dealer is ("was" -- I don't go there anymore). They wanted to use only 20W-50 during the warranty period, and I hope they used it (for MY car!).
crushedcar.gif

[ February 01, 2004, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

"I was kind of hoping Mobil 1 15W-50 would meet the Porsche Approval List for your Cayenne. I guess your service manager gave the Thumbs Down?"
Didn't even ask. I'm confident he'd say something like 'we use Mobil 1 0W-40 and if you use 15W-50 your warranty will be void.'

"Mobil 1 15W-50 would have been inexpensive (Relatively, compared to other oils), provided superior high temp protection for those nice turbochargers, and provided good "cold" temp protection for AZ."
You're probably right, but I think RL (or M1/D1) 5W-40 will do just finely and better than M1 0W-40. Other than the 0W-40, M1s are about $4/quart in AZ. The 0W-40 is $5, but I got a bunch on sale at $4. I don't mind buying RL at $7 by the case.

"At least while under warranty, I'd stick with your Porsche dealer servicing."
The only thing I have them do is fix it under warranty; I oil-service it myself.

"I looked up the Cayenne at the Porsche US site and those babies are SWEET. You've worked hard for that ride, enjoy it."
Thx, Jerry. It is indeed sweet and I love it. It's my first Porsche and it's everything I hoped it would be.

Oh man, did I flub that last post of mine up there! I meant to say I brought the dealer my own oil to use instead of that 20W-50 dino they were using. And I hope they used my oil in my car -- not in their own private vehicle.

quote:

Most of my trucks run newer Cummins ISX 500 HP motors and they are rated at 15 litre displacement. Very advanced injection and electronics.

500 HP doesn't sound very impressive for a 15
Liter engine, but 1850 lb-ft of torque at 1200RPM
sure does
shocked.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

Given the low price of $4.99/qt at Retail, I'd guess this is a PAO/GP III/Ester blend and does not use the same basestock and/or add pack as Delvac 1. Delvac 1 is $6.00/qt if you order it on line, or $5.50/qt Wholesale at oil jobbers if you buy a full case of gallons ....Check the prices @ www.AVLube.com and you'll see what I mean.

The idea that you can buy a Lexus at Toyota prices is always appealing, but it's always wrong ...
wink.gif

I do think this is a good choice for older engines, where the M1, 5w-30 or 10w-30 may be too thin ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back