Mobil 1 5w-30 EP and Mobil 1 Filter in Sentra SER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance "M" in a Sentra SER with 2.5L 4 cylinder, usually found in the much larger, heavier Altima. Engine produces maximum torque at only 2800rpm. Extended Performance Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter is supposed to be good for up to 15,000 miles.

Just turned 10,000 miles on the oil and it is still translucent on the dipstick, but not clear. It appears to be very slightly thicker than when first put in. It has required only 1/2 quart addition in 10,000 miles so the motor does not use or leak oil.

This last week, there was a little valve train "ticking" evident at idle after warm-up which is gone with a little throttle applied. The oil pressure meter reads 17-19psi. After a minute of quiet running with foot off throttle, the ticking returns. The pressure has dropped maybe 2-3psi back to 15psi. The characteristic ticking was evident at pull-away for a second until increased oil pressure erased it.

Adding 6 oz of MMO to the oil Saturday completely eliminated the ticking within 5 minutes and it has not returned. At this point I have to decide whether to stay with the oil through the winter (topping off with M1 5W-30 or MMO is easy enough) or to change it out now before it gets very cold. At the current rate of mileage accumulation it will reach 15,000 miles in May.

My suspicion is that at 10,000 miles the oil thickened just enough to have a reduced flow at idle in the DOHC top end, or perhaps slight varnishing had taken place that the MMO dissolved. It would be a simple matter to just add MMO and/or more oil if required. There has been no overheating, no leakage of coolant and no long periods at idle that would put additional stress on the oil. It just hasn't been that cold yet to require heating up the car.

What does the consensus think? Change out the oil and filter and replace with new now or stay with it for a few more months and change it in the spring?

Not entirely comfortable with the 15,000 mile OCI with M1 EP. I've had long OCI before with Shell Rotella T 5W-40 with Purolator Pure One PL14610 filters twice for a total of 28,000 miles but no symptoms were evident and the oil did not appear to thicken. If its going to become molasses, I'd rather get it out while the weather is in the 40-50's.

On the dip stick warm, it appears to be slightly thicker than before. I'm not sure if it is an M1 EP characteristic and will reverse itself, or is it a signal that the oil is all done and will only get thicker while underperforming its intended task.

Your opinion is welcome. Since I have a decent cache of M1 products, I'm interested in what characteristics I should expect. I'm already aware of shearing but thickening is something new.

Can E10 gas cause oil thickening over time if there is extra water entering with the fuel?

There is one other alternative: I could change just the oil filter and top it off. It has one of the short Mobil M108 filters now and I have another. After this I will go to the longer M110 filters which will also fit the car with a bit of ingenuity.

Last edited:
I started using the EP when XM first came out with it and have found it to be a great oil. I did a UOA last Jan., 10,000 miles, and the oil had not thickened at all and still had a TBN of 3.5.
I know that M1 does not recomend any additives added to their oil and I believe that's the best policy. You might do a UOA on this OC and see if the oil is thicker that at start and also get a TBN reading also. From what I see here on BITOG some of the Nissans have noisey engines so I wouldn't be too alarmed. My Ford engines stay very quite. Never a tick.

Oil Guy2,

Persoanlly I'd never go those miles you stated even if it was M1 "extended" and regardless of the warranty/guarantee that's given you. Sometimes two tables/chart are given in the back of your manuel so using the correct on is more prudent in your case.

Durango

Originally Posted By: tig1
I started using the EP when XM first came out with it and have found it to be a great oil. I did a UOA last Jan., 10,000 miles, and the oil had not thickened at all and still had a TBN of 3.5.
I know that M1 does not recomend any additives added to their oil and I believe that's the best policy. You might do a UOA on this OC and see if the oil is thicker that at start and also get a TBN reading also. From what I see here on BITOG some of the Nissans have noisey engines so I wouldn't be too alarmed. My Ford engines stay very quite. Never a tick.

tig1;
I see from various posts you have Duratech trucks and have routinely used EP M1 for 10,000+ OCI's.

I've just read on the Nissan SER enthusiast site that the valve train design in the QR25DE Nissan engine will tick quietly at an idle and its nothing to be concerned about unless it doesn't disappear above that idle.

The UOA on M1 EP 5W-30 are impressive. In particular "mibro"'s posting of 15,000 miles under severe use in Mass with his Toyota 4.7L V8. There are plenty of others to read too so I am now more confident of the M1 EP ability and will stay with it awhile longer. Maybe it was thicker on the dip stick because it was in the early AM and about 35F.
21.gif

Thanks for your answer.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Oil Guy2,

Personally I'd never go those miles you stated even if it was M1 "extended" and regardless of the warranty/guarantee that's given you. Sometimes two tables/chart are given in the back of your manual so using the correct one is more prudent in your case.

Durango

Well, there is no way that the car gets severe use but Nissan's service guide does recommend oil changes more frequently than once a year so you make a good point.

The UOA's on M1 EP 5W-30 are impressive and 10,000 miles (but not 15,000) is typical but it is past the recommended interval.

The stamped "LOW.....FULL" lettering on the dipstick can be seen clearly through oil that does not look like it needs to be changed just yet. Pretty impressive for 10,000 miles.

If it so much as hiccups again, I'll do the prudent thing and change the oil and filter, particularly if presented with a mild day to do it.

Logically, it does not follow that the extra $1.00 for EP products would justify an additional 5,000 miles over regular Mobil 1 except in the most ideal driving circumstances.

Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back