Mobil 1 10w40 HM w Lucas HM Oil Stabilizer Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter 1989 Corvette 3280 OCI

M1 15w50 is a good, and maybe the best option. I'm dreaming up another mega road trip and I might use it and then UOA test. The original owner of our 92 Lingenfelter Corvette used M1 15w50 in it since it was new.

Post pictures of your Lingenfelter Vette. Those things were a beast back when he was still alive. (y) 🏁

As for oil, I would run 100% Mobil 1 without any Lucas.

Lucas probably isn't helping but it's also probably not hurting anything. If it makes you feel better to use it and you enjoy it, then go for it! I know a lot of people on here are against any additives which I understand. But we tend to forget that sometimes we do things for our own reasons. Very nice vette by the way.

I'm more focused on the fact that you got to do such an awesome trip with your son 🍻

Lucas probably isn't helping but it's also probably not hurting anything. If it makes you feel better to use it and you enjoy it, then go for it! I know a lot of people on here are against any additives which I understand. But we tend to forget that sometimes we do things for our own reasons. Very nice vette by the way.

I'm more focused on the fact that you got to do such an awesome trip with your son 🍻
In a 3280 mile interval, it's proably not hurting anything, indeed. But there's the cost of putting it in there in the first place. I'd just use 15w50 as mentioned several times.

In a 3280 mile interval, it's proably not hurting anything, indeed. But there's the cost of putting it in there in the first place. I'd just use 15w50 as mentioned several times.
Totally understand that logic but from his posts I'm thinking he is sticking with it 😁

Cool car/story/your son likely won't forget this! Love the white wheels...always dug C4s. If you like what you use, use it, it's your car and certainly isn't hurting a thing beyond the min. cost and you I'm quite sure you can afford the extra ~$18 a few times a year if that's what makes you feel better/like to use in your car. Another option for hitting your cST comfort zone is just use a thicker oil like the M1 15W50 that has been recommended even though it's not a HM oil which you have indicated you like to use. Yet another option for the HM or higher visosity bit is Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver and/or their Viscoplus additives combined with your oil of choice - I'll be burned at the stake for recommending them but maybe those are something else you can check out to achieve what you are comfortable with. I did a VOA on the M1 15W50:

This great UOA on a 34 year old car driven 80-110mph for 3 consecutive 1000+ mile days … any reasonable person looking at this data / UOA would say it supports using Lucas.
You'd need the same run without to say anything and even then, they likely will look the same beyond the anticipated differences in viscosity/additive pack mixture. UOA isn't doing much for you here to say "good or bad". The engine wear metals would likely be the same on a variety of oils/mixtures with additives.

Last edited:
Cool car/story/your son likely won't forget this! Love the white wheels...always dug C4s. If you like what you use, use it, it's your car and certainly isn't hurting a thing beyond the min. cost and you I'm quite sure you can afford the extra ~$18 a few times a year if that's what makes you feel better/like to use in your car. Another option for hitting your cST comfort zone is just use a thicker oil like the M1 15W50 that has been recommended even though it's not a HM oil which you have indicated you like to use. Yet another option for the HM or higher visosity bit is Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver and/or their Viscoplus additives combined with your oil of choice - I'll be burned at the stake for recommending them but maybe those are something else you can check out to achieve what you are comfortable with. I did a VOA on the M1 15W50:

👍👍 The M1 15w50 is a solid choice for sure.

Post pictures of your Lingenfelter Vette. Those things were a beast back when he was still alive. (y) 🏁

As for oil, I would run 100% Mobil 1 without any Lucas.
IMG_5677.jpeg
IMG_3046.jpeg
IMG_3045.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg

Great Vette! I always liked the white wheels on the white body on the C4s. And a manual to boot!

Great Vette! I always liked the white wheels on the white body on the C4s. And a manual to boot!
Thanks! Yeah the early angular C4 styling was only paired with the ZF6 6-speed manual for 1 year - 1989. We got lucky with this one!

Thanks! Yeah the early angular C4 styling was only paired with the ZF6 6-speed manual for 1 year - 1989. We got lucky with this one!
Thats really cool, and fairly rare. They were in the sweet spot for me growing up loving cars. Those vettes, the 90s air cooled 911s and the Japanese stuff.

Great car. Enjoy!

Back