Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage w Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer in C4 Lingenfelter 383 Corvette

Yes, it does. 99.6% of what and with what variables, what pumping psi or flow losses? what filtration losses with each few hours?

My 99.9999999% filter sounds better.

You don't get lower levels of protection with synthetic blend oils.

Stop preaching ignorance or whatever bs that you've heard over the years. Save that for the corvette and sbc forums.

Here's one at 20micron vs 30micron M1 filter:

If it’s removing 99.6% of contaminants, does it matter what the media is?

With oils synthetic blend = lower protection level. With filters this synthetic blend seems to result in among the best filtration efficiencies.
You can't quote efficiency without particle size, lol. The number is useless without that qualifier.

The most efficient filter we've got comparative data for is the OG FRAM Ultra, which was tested against several other filters by Ascent Filtration Testing and comes in at >99.8@15 microns.
efficiency-compairson-graph-pic-2-jpg.59366

filter test data 02.jpeg

From what I recall, the AC Delco Ultraguard Gold is rated the same as the Mobil 1 filter and uses the same blend media. Mobil claims their filters are >99% @ 30 microns:
Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.50.46 AM.jpg

Which is consistent with the above results for the Delco filter, which showed 99.25% @ 30 microns.

If you've like to learn more about the different types of filter medias, I have a thread on it in the filter section:

It’s not meaningful to calculate wear rates with this short of an OCI, unless you also pulled a sample after right after the oil change, and a short drive - that way you’d know how much of the wear metals were inherited from the prior oil that it’s impossible to drain all of. Wear rate calculations become more valid the longer the OCI or when comparing similar normal OCIs.
Starting points are meaningful & I agree the more UOA would paint a better picture. Do you plan to sample more?

Copied & pasted from the calculator.

I was just messing with ya Fantasitic…

In my line of work… exact calculations are a part of it.

You get a heparin IV drip to tenths per hour. And loading bolus dose to exact amount per kg of body weight.

I saw a very well made film where a young young child died from heparin overdose because they were off one decimal place which means as you know it was 10 times too strong a dose…

Terribly sad a 3 year old child died because of that. Instead of the family getting lots of $$$$… The had the hospital make a great well made film to detail what went wrong and why paying attention matters to calculations.

You can't quote efficiency without particle size, lol. The number is useless without that qualifier.

The most efficient filter we've got comparative data for is the OG FRAM Ultra, which was tested against several other filters by Ascent Filtration Testing and comes in at >99.8@15 microns.
efficiency-compairson-graph-pic-2-jpg.59366

View attachment 146896

From what I recall, the AC Delco Ultraguard Gold is rated the same as the Mobil 1 filter and uses the same blend media. Mobil claims their filters are >99% @ 30 microns:
View attachment 146898
Which is consistent with the above results for the Delco filter, which showed 99.25% @ 30 microns.

If you've like to learn more about the different types of filter medias, I have a thread on it in the filter section:

By OG does that mean a filter that’s no longer available? Was M1 Extended Performance tested by this lab too?

I was just messing with ya Fantasitic…

In my line of work… exact calculations are a part of it.

You get a heparin IV drip to tenths per hour. And loading bolus dose to exact amount per kg of body weight.

I saw a very well made film where a young young child died from heparin overdose because they were off one decimal place which means as you know it was 10 times too strong a dose…

Terribly sad a 3 year old child died because of that. Instead of the family getting lots of $$$$… The had the hospital make a great well made film to detail what went wrong and why paying attention matters to calculations.
I don't mind someone getting a laugh out of what I say. It's just that I didn't understand why the other fella was questioning my post & then when I asked about why they were questioning my post they said "I'm going to leave this one alone". Which left me shrugging my shoulders and scratching my head all at the same time. As you posted the joke it became clearer that perhaps that was the situation. I laugh at myself sometimes even. It's a funny world out there... :p.

Yeah seriously Fantastic I laugh at myself a fair amount too… Or I make fun of myself and others quite a lot.

Can’t be serious but so much of the time.

Dear Greasy, Thanks for sharing the Fram info, 99% at 20 micron is superior to 99% at 30 micron.

According to https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter the difference between 20 and 30 could extend the "miles to first overhaul":
9f3eb74e-6a78-435e-94cf-9005f76cd955_engine-life-expectency_extra_large.jpeg

but - and I know this is anecdotal, I currently own 3 vehicles with over 250,000 miles (05 Prius, 05 Caravan, 93 Volvo 240) I've never used a 99% 20 micron fully synthetic filter, all three run and drive great. Engine overhauls are nowhere in sight. I had a E320 Mercedes with over 330,000 when I sold it (numerous UOAs shared here) and it was running perfectly - with M1 filter and M1 10w40 high mileage oil.

This video is interesting because it illustrates Fram and M1 design differences. It's pretty clear that the M1 is a better filter design:

Re: protection and synthetic blends: I am not aware of any motor oil company that claims that their synthetic blend protects better than their full synthetic. Are you?

Also, fwiw, my prior profile was SUNRG, and I contributed info and UOAs from 2005 to 2015. I took a BITOG break and then rejoined in 2020 as Robvette. You can be as condescending as you'd like, I really don't care, but providing data and links to resources is more helpful.

Yes, it does. 99.6% of what and with what variables, what pumping psi or flow losses? what filtration losses with each few hours?

My 99.9999999% filter sounds better.

You don't get lower levels of protection with synthetic blend oils.

Stop preaching ignorance or whatever bs that you've heard over the years. Save that for the corvette and sbc forums.

By OG does that mean a filter that’s no longer available? Was M1 Extended Performance tested by this lab too?
Yes, the OG is the original FRAM Ultra with the 2-ply synthetic media.

No, the M1 filter wasn't tested, but, as I noted, it has the same type of media, and is manufactured by the same company as the AC Delco Gold filter, and it has the same efficiency rating.

Starting points are meaningful & I agree the more UOA would paint a better picture. Do you plan to sample more?
I do. My Vettes are not daily drivers, they're pleasure / track cars that don't accumulate miles and don't have OCIs like most if the UOAs that are reported here. My prior profile was SUNRG and I initially was UOA testing and comparing different oils in TDIs, then moved onto other cars. Now I bicycle commute and really have no daily driver - just hobby cars. So my UOAs may have some value / meaning to me, but they won't be relevant to other car types. I really just shared this UOA to illustrate how much of a viscosity bump a Lucas High Mileage OS gives to a 10w40 oil in a roughly 5 quart oil system.

I believe Castrol EDGE makes a HM that is spec'd in the 15 cSt range. That and M1 HM are the only full synthetic HM oils I'm aware of that come in 10W40.
I checked and you’re correct 15.8!

If this is accurate - Castrol Edge HM 10w-40 is thicker than M1 HM 10w-40 + Lucas HM Oil Stabilzer.

Attachments

• AC992DD6-9128-49D3-919C-EA34D330F5DD.jpeg
    AC992DD6-9128-49D3-919C-EA34D330F5DD.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3
Back