Mobil 1 10w40 HM w Lucas HM Oil Stabilizer Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter 1989 Corvette 3280 OCI

Bought the car Friday 5/26 in California, changed the fluids, Mobil 1 10w40 high Mileage Oil, Fram XG5 Ultra Synthetic Filter
Then drove it 3150 miles cross country with my son, the story of the trip is HERE
Car has 125265 miles / 3280 OCI
I used Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer as a top-up oil and added 1 quart over the whole trip.
At 2000 rpm in 6th gear the car easy cruises at 90mph. We drove for long stretches in the 90 to 105mph range just following the fastest cars on the highway and paying attention to Waze and our radar detector.
Cut the Fram filter open, it of course is well built, 99% at 20 micron, wire backed synthetic blend media. The XG5 is an oversized filter for L98 engines that a little more than 2" longer than the stock filter, but it doesn't extend down below the oil pan.
I'm really happy with this first UOA on a brand new to us 1989 Corvette.
car.jpg
IMG-6369.PNG
IMG-6370.PNG

wire.jpg

UOA 89 Corvette White 6-2-23_Page_1.jpg

Cool car and nice road trip with your son.
Those L98 engines are very good and reliable.

I would love to do a cross country trip like you did. (y)

The additive package looks diluted, which isn't surprising, given the use of Lucas.

- Phosphorous (AW) should be at 800ppm, you are at 621
- Zinc (part of ZDDP) should be at 870ppm, you are at 693

The Lucas did crank the viscosity up to 18.6cSt, making it 50-grade.

if you want a heaver oil, you'd be much better served running a heavier oil to begin with and skipping the Lucas garbage.

Cool car and nice road trip with your son.
Those L98 engines are very good and reliable.

I would love to do a cross country trip like you did. (y)
The trip was a lifetime highlight for sure. We went a little out of our way to drive thru Death Valley - which was amazing! You should do it!

Wear wise this vette looks to be in good shape according to this report. I know you've heard this before but there are many of us out there that are not fans of "Oil Additives" since it skews what UOA is supposed to look like. It's like some of the older oils that used Potassium/Sodium as an additive. It was not received well because those are markers for antifreeze intrusion. 10w-40 alone should be all that's necessary to protect your car. Even some 5w-40's may be better base oil quality & add pack wise.

Nice Car & have always been a fan of these cars when I saw them on the road as a young child. It was set in stone when my father would jam "Little Red Corvette" by Prince. 😀

The additive package looks diluted, which isn't surprising, given the use of Lucas.

- Phosphorous (AW) should be at 800ppm, you are at 621
- Zinc (part of ZDDP) should be at 870ppm, you are at 693

The Lucas did crank the viscosity up to 18.6cSt, making it 50-grade.

if you want a heaver oil, you'd be much better served running a heavier oil to begin with and skipping the Lucas garbage.
I thought for sure you were going to say something about the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter after all the grief you gave me over using a Mobil 1 filter in my Lingenfelter 😜

Re Lucas @OVERKILL, @tblt44 and @fantastic - I do prefer 18cst and I’d be open to try a: a) high mileage b) 50 weight c) synthetic oil - but I’m not aware of an oil that’s oil 3. So I’ve been adding Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer to Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage and my UOA results have all been excellent.

Last edited:
I agree with @OVERKILL that the Lucas did nothing here except dilute your additives. Next time, leave it out. No benefit can come from it. If you need a higher viscosity (which you most likely don't), just use M1 15W-50.
I do want at or close to 18cst

Data sheet: https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Synthetic-SAE-5W-50-Motor-Oil.pdf
IMG_6377.jpeg

Thanks @The Critic - because my Corvettes are all 30+ years old I prefer high mileage formulations. I am going to try Supercar 5w50 in a future oil change in my 92 Lingenfelter Corvette.
IMG_4518.jpeg

Back