Mobil 1 10w40 HM w Lucas HM Oil Stabilizer Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter 1989 Corvette 3280 OCI

Re Lucas @OVERKILL, @tblt44 and @fantastic - I do prefer 18cst and I’d be open to try a: a) high mileage b) 50 weight c) synthetic oil - but I’m not aware of an oil that’s oil 3. So I’ve been adding Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer to Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage and my UOA results have all been excellent.
Why do you think you need a high mileage oil? Do you have leaks that they are staving off? Generally, that's what they are geared toward. The Mobil 1 HM oil you ran doesn't have higher levels of AW additives than their other oils for example.

If you want a heavier oil, Mobil 1 15W-50 or 5W-50 would be just fine by themselves. But, if these are stock engines, I can't see the need for something that heavy, considering they spec'd an xW-30 when new, correct? In which case I'd run M1 0W-40 personally, but their new Euro 5W-40 is also another solid option. Both of these have considerably higher levels of AW additives.

And yes, good for using the FRAM Ultra, lol. Nice to see it was a wire-backed OG filter.

I’m pretty sure there are no high mileage, synthetic, 50 weight motor oils.

fwiw - my engines and I are doing really well

I’m pretty sure there are no high mileage, synthetic, 50 weight motor oils.

fwiw - my engines and I are doing really well

As he said though, why do you think you need a "high mileage" oil? All of my vehicles have >100k miles. My Nissan D21 has 483k miles. I don't use a high mileage oil in any of them. The only thing the HM oil gets you is a little extra seal conditioner which is doing you no good because you're diluting it back down with the Lucas, defeating the whole point of the HM oil. You could just run M1 Euro 0W-40 without the Lucas, get better quality oil, and save some money.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a viscosity index improver polymer with no additives in it. It's just a thick goo. If you still just feel compelled to add something to your oil, use STP Oil Treatment. It's the same useless polymer as the Lucas but at least contains a trace of additives.

As he said though, why do you think you need a "high mileage" oil? All of my vehicles have >100k miles. My Nissan D21 has 483k miles. I don't use a high mileage oil in any of them. The only thing the HM oil gets you is a little extra seal conditioner which is doing you no good because you're diluting it back down with the Lucas, defeating the whole point of the HM oil. You could just run M1 Euro 0W-40 without the Lucas, get better quality oil, and save some money.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a viscosity index improver polymer with no additives in it. It's just a thick goo. If you still just feel compelled to add something to your oil, use STP Oil Treatment. It's the same useless polymer as the Lucas but at least contains a trace of additives.
Have you heard the joke that BITOG was created to rag on Lucas?

Fwiw - I’m using the High Mileage Lucas. All of my vehicles are either over 30 years old, over 200,000 miles, or both.

IMG_6379.jpeg

The high mileage Lucas is the same thing as the regular Lucas. I've seen FTIR scans of them both and they overlay one another. There's nothing in there that makes it "high mileage" or anything else special. It makes the oil perform worse in PDSC and TGA, reduces the TBN, increases foam in D892, and increases piston deposits. You're being bamboozled by marketing tactics. If that stuff was so star-spangled awesome, every engine oil would already have it at 20% concentration. They'd save a lot of money.

There's a good reason Lucas gets a bad rap here. They sell snake oil and junk products, sometimes to damaging effects. I know of some high dollar engines that have wiped bearings and torn up valvetrain because of their lack of consistency and quality control. They profit off people's lack of understanding of oil, using a massive marketing campaign to do it, and thus are an ethically bankrupt company.

The high mileage Lucas is the same thing as the regular Lucas. I've seen FTIR scans of them both and they overlay one another. There's nothing in there that makes it "high mileage" or anything else special. It makes the oil perform worse in PDSC and TGA, reduces the TBN, increases foam in D892, and increases piston deposits. You're being bamboozled by marketing tactics. If that stuff was so star-spangled awesome, every engine oil would already have it at 20% concentration. They'd save a lot of money.

There's a good reason Lucas gets a bad rap here. They sell snake oil and junk products, sometimes to damaging effects. I know of some high dollar engines that have wiped bearings and torn up valvetrain because of their lack of consistency and quality control. They profit off people's lack of understanding of oil, using a massive marketing campaign to do it, and thus are an ethically bankrupt company.
Nailed it.

All of my vehicles are either over 30 years old, over 200,000 miles, or both.
I get that your vehicles are old and have high mileage, but as I noted, the primary purpose of high mileage oils is to slow or reduce leaks in engines with faulty seals/gaskets, that's why it has slightly higher levels of seal conditioners in it. If you don't have that problem, there's nothing in the product to make it any better than its non-high mileage sibling.

If you want more AW protection, your best bet is to switch to a full-SAPS Euro oil or an HDEO, which are my go-to's for all older small blocks.

Stop using that Lucas crud. Go to Walmart and get m1 15w-50.
M1 15w50 is a good, and maybe the best option. I'm dreaming up another mega road trip and I might use it and then UOA test. The original owner of our 92 Lingenfelter Corvette used M1 15w50 in it since it was new.

Trust us, we are all telling you to skip the Lucas for good reason. Instead of robbing your engine of 1 quart of good oil by using a quart of Lucas, use the proper high mileage oil in the brand you prefer and sleep well at night.

Now do that test with Clorox or Head and Shoulders shampoo.

There are two issues with this "test":
1. It has zero relevance to any area inside an internal combustion engine.
2. It is extremely easy to manipulate in order to get the intended results.

Letting the engines run until destruction seems silly, but the bearing test is super straight forward.

Run the 10w40HM without Lucas for comparative data.

Another option, is the STP gold bottle synthetic treatment. It has additives, whether you need/want them or not. And, its stocked at walmart and various autopart stores.

Mobil1 15w50 is a pretty good oil, as are others. Give it a run without additives and see how it compares to your UOA.

Its comparative data time to see if you can improve on your results.

Have you tried Lucas Synthetic? Its probably another data point worth considering with your 10w40hm.

Back